Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2016, 11:26 PM   #1
Tim

Default Cragar/Winfield Intake

I picked up a neat old intake this weekend for a Banger. I thought I could use it and was stoked on it. But I have another one and this one has giant ports on it. So I wanted to ask if anybody knew exactly what it might have been for. I have a hunch but you know where that leads. So Banger experts what is this?

Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:30 PM   #2
Flathead

Default Re: Cragar/Winfield Intake

Ohv ??
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
Fordors

I would expect that the one with the smaller ports will fit on a stock Model A, while the one with larger ports was cast for a Cragar (Miller/ Schofield) head. The carb flange is for a Winfield and the manifolds are intended to be used in a downdraft application.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
Jim Brierley

Fordor is right but it can be used for either up or down-draft. The one pictured has been used as updraft, as evidenced by corrosion on the front, from a leaky water pump. There may be a small letter-stamp opposite the carb flange indicating size of Winfield carb it is made for.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #5
hardtimes

Hey Tim,
Great information from what can be seen !
Can you measure and give center to center of mounting holes , as this will indicate which Winfield size carb that this single 'rams horn' intake was intended for ? That measurement may also confirm why huge intake ports.

I also have a question of you concerning the condition of this intake. Can that type of metal damage be repaired back to as made ?
I ask, as I know nothing of metal work, but have an original Schofield side plate (valve chamber) cover. It has a corner knocked of (clean break) and since it is original/rare..hesitate to scrape it ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Tim,
Great information from what can be seen !
Can you measure and give center to center of mounting holes , as this will indicate which Winfield size carb that this single 'rams horn' intake was intended for ? That measurement may also confirm why huge intake ports.

I also have a question of you concerning the condition of this intake. Can that type of metal damage be repaired back to as made ?
I ask, as I know nothing of metal work, but have an original Schofield side plate (valve chamber) cover. It has a corner knocked of (clean break) and since it is original/rare..hesitate to scrape it ?
Yes, take it to a swap meet where they are demonstrating those wonder sticks of aluminum that solder holes in pop cans so well.

A good welder can fill in the pits and you can file and sand it back smooth. If you have a Vo-Tech school near by, they might even do it for the cost of materials.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #7
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Yes, take it to a swap meet where they are demonstrating those wonder sticks of aluminum that solder holes in pop cans so well.

A good welder can fill in the pits and you can file and sand it back smooth. If you have a Vo-Tech school near by, they might even do it for the cost of materials.
Hey Tom,
Some good information !
I do have such a Vo-Tech school nearby . Just might look into that , thanks .

Relative to your wonder stick comment, that reminds me of the current TV ad. It shows someone putting clear liquid onto anything/everything. A special light (ultra-violate ?) is then focused on the liquid between the parts. Voila, fixed in 3 seconds... You seen that yet ? Seems too good to be true
Old 02-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Yes, I've seen that and wondered about it, and just last night my neighbor asked me about it.

Too good to be true usually is.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #9
Sparky

It's an epoxy that is cured instantly when exposed to strong ultraviolet light. I can't say how good the stuff on tv would be, but we use the industrial version at my workplace and it works very well.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:26 AM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

In the past, it was "tough", without modern SEALANTS, ADHESIVES, & THREAD LOCKERS! First heard of Loctite when I was working on Jaguars. We mis-read the label & called it, LOKITE. (dum-dee-dum-dum)---We used it to stop the clicking, where the rear axle fits into the wheel hub. POP-RIVETS appeared about the same time, along with Silicone Rubber. YES, I'm OLD AS DIRT! (80)
Old Bill Dad
Old 02-03-2016, 11:40 PM   #11
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
It's an epoxy that is cured instantly when exposed to strong ultraviolet light. I can't say how good the stuff on tv would be, but we use the industrial version at my workplace and it works very well.
Hey Sparky,
Interesting ! Always looking for GOOD stuff for emer repairs on Model A ! Does your industrial version make strong repairs (temporary ?) in stressed parts usage ? Is your industrial version, available for hobbyist/public use? And, can it be undone once applied ?
Old 02-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #12
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Sparky,
Interesting ! Always looking for GOOD stuff for emer repairs on Model A ! Does your industrial version make strong repairs (temporary ?) in stressed parts usage ? Is your industrial version, available for hobbyist/public use? And, can it be undone once applied ?
Probably not, the light source is heavy, non-portable and expensive (and dangerous!)
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:19 PM   #13
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Probably not, the light source is heavy, non-portable and expensive (and dangerous!)
Hey Sparky,
Thanks much for your informative reply/info !