Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #21
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Manifold header is ugly

Doug, Its been a long time since I used the Otwell manifold but I( know what you are saying.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 10-11-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:13 PM   #22
Purdy Swoft

Doug, I agree with most of what you are saying. The imporoved version of the otwell heater manifold was better.Even with the firewall vent closed the firewall got hotter and caused cab temps to increase. Under hood temps were also hotter. I'm pretty sure that some of the problem was that I didn't know then what I do now about the correct direction to adjust the backlash in the distributor shaft. Backlash in the wrong direction causes retarded timing and higher manifold temps . Brattons wasn't in business at that time and the A&L condenser wasn't produced. My distributors were probably mostly worn. Most of my parts were either used or repro stuff from Warshaysky and they didn't offer a distributor bushing reamer. I couldn't properly rebuild a model A distributor at that time because lack of proper parts and tools. As much as anything else I didn't like the looks of any manifold heater and still avoid using them. I've kept the Old Otwell manifold for old time sake. A lot of my junk has a story from times past
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:09 AM   #23
billybronco1

Default Re: Manifold heater is ugly

Someone mentioned that these heaters cause the engine to run hotter. So I assume if your going to drive in a parade lots of stop & go in the summer time it would make sense to take the heater off would not need it anyway.
billybronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #24
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Well, BB, If you don't like it, just remove it forever & dress for the COLD!
Bill W.
Now that's common sense if I have ever read it ! The Mayor has spoken !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:47 AM   #25
billybronco1

I didn't have my coffee yet - sorry. When I paint it black it will cover my not so pretty exhaust manifold that is rusty and pitted. I wonder if this heater causes any damage to the manifold to shorten its life because it retains the heat over and around it.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #26
Fred
BANNED

Here is one I have never seen before, E-Bay Auction # 321551846868.. Very odd looking..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #27
Roger V

I used to use a Otwell and it was the most efficient heater I've tried. Replaced it with the original manifold in the spring. I now use the type mentioned that installs on top of the original manifold. While it gives off a fraction of the heat of the Otwell, it's enough for as late in the fall that I want to drive. I use two stainless hose clamps to hold it to the manifold. Strangely, I tried a repro aluminum version on the coupe and a candle would have produced more heat. I then tried an iron version and it worked ok. I took the aluminum one and put it on the Townsedan and it worked ok for it. Engines are set up pretty much the same. Maybe the heavier slant Townsedan made its engine work a little harder?
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #28
Joe K

My Otwell is the curved center type - but does not have the accessory "summer door" on the rear end. I think the plan in this case was to leave off the flex tube and shut the little door on the firewall.

OBTW - the Otwells have a design flaw in that a crack in the casting can lead one to the deadly CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING. One of the BIG advantages of the easier to see and check Auto-Lite system (and why I converted.)

Maybe an Otwell could be checked by plugging either end of the hot air flow with a plate or plug (or both) and then pressurizing a bit with shop air - a leak SHOULD be apparent shouldn't it?

Joe K
Old 10-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #29
beechboy

Here is a pic of my new engine installed with the heater that came with the car. Painted the ex.manifold and the heater with high temp paint, have 400 miles on it and holding up so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0156.jpg (34.2 KB, 136 views)
beechboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #30
Chris Haynes

I have an Autolite heater. Manifold painted with VHT paint. Heater box cadmium plated.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #31
eagle

My manifold heater is one of the things people think is interesting when I open the hood at shows etc. Also is nice for cold weather.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #32
billybronco1

Okay painted the heater black with 2000 degree paint hopefully it holds up, also made a quick disconnect to be able to remove easily for parades or repair - I think it looks better I hope you do too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heater 3.jpg (51.4 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Heater 4.jpg (29.2 KB, 102 views)
Old 10-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #33
jacks

When I got my 28 4dr LB in one of the box of parts was a heater that covers the muffler ,also flex pipe to front and back seat with registers cut in the floor to regulate air flow , who was the manufacture?
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #34
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks View Post
When I got my 28 4dr LB in one of the box of parts was a heater that covers the muffler ,also flex pipe to front and back seat with registers cut in the floor to regulate air flow , who was the manufacture?
Kind of hard to say without a pix. The one shown above was originally an Autolite production (many of them say "Autolite" in raised letters) but have been reproduced extensively by several makers. You see them plain, with "Snyders", with "Goerlich's", and with Model A (for those who aren't sure what their car might be perhaps?)

Autolite also made the "finned" manifold version which I have two, and covers to match. These also have been reproduced but a little less extensively.

Here is a Goerlich heater which is almost identical to the Autolite.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 10-17-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:41 AM   #35
Karl

I would love a manifold heater but unfortunately my car is right hand drive and any manifold heater would foul the advance and retard rods which in a RHD car pivot off the inlet manifold. I don't think a RHD manifold heater was ever made .
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #36
rocket1

I also had a Snyders brand cast iron manifold heater,sat nicely on top of manifold,I held it down with a large stainless hose clamp,gave up winter driving,sold heater.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #37
JohnLaVoy

At one point years ago I decided to remove the manifold heater on my phaeton. We took a tour to Colorado for the High Country meet. On that tour my wife informed me that I will put the manifold heater back on the car or we won't take that car on a tour again!
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #38
Tom F OHIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybronco1 View Post
Okay painted the heater black with 2000 degree paint hopefully it holds up, also made a quick disconnect to be able to remove easily for parades or repair - I think it looks better I hope you do too.
Wow Billy your motor looks great. Your paint job looks execellent. If I was going to put a heater on, this is how I would want mine to look like NICE JOB.

Tom........
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #39
Bob Bidonde

Two advantages of the clamp-on heater you depict are:
> It clamps to the exhaust manifold, so it is easily removable;
> I also act as a heat radiation shield plus it convects heat away from the distributor.

The nicest looking original period heater I have is painted Olive Green with red raised lettering. Original clamp-on type manifold heaters are common finds at swap meets.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #40
Barber31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
Purdy - When the "Otwell Health Heater" people redesigned their heater (with the dip in the middle of the top), they also added a 'Heat Escape' door at the rear of the top, to allow heat to escape out into the engine compartment and NOT go into the interior of the cab. When the heater door to the firewall was closed and the connecting pipe from the heater to the firewall was removed for summer driving, this worked very well to prevent heat from entering the cab.

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif
Western Sales Division, Othwell Health Heaters, Inc.
Thank you Doug for posting this. I recently purchased a few old parts and the heater manifold had that escape door. I was puzzled and thought maybe there was a dual purpose for this manifold to heat something else. I'm glad I found this info.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote