Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2020, 07:58 PM   #41
kawagumby

Default Re: So, ...how many Model-As can actually do the 'Three S's reliably?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Thanks Jack. I have a spare steering to play with, so I will try the graft of a the later Ford gearbox.

You can get a fully modified ready to drop-in box from Randy Gross for about $800. That's what I did, and the car no longer feels like a row-crop tractor, LOL.

Tom
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:20 AM   #42
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
You can get a fully modified ready to drop-in box from Randy Gross for about $800. That's what I did, and the car no longer feels like a row-crop tractor, LOL.

Tom
Does Randy offer a RHD version?

Last edited by Synchro909; 12-28-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:57 AM   #43
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moose View Post
I've watched a number of his videos.

I'm also running with no shocks. Don't seem to need 'em. I have the 4 originals, but so far it hasn't been worth the trouble/expense to rebuild and put them on.
The difference between shocks / no shocks is night and day.
Once you have them properly rebuilt and installed you will wish you had not put it off....
Old 12-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #44
Chris in WNC

Our Town Sedan starts, stops and steers great.
As soon as I get new tires it will be ready for any and all long distance driving.

The majority of "restored" cars we see advertised are pretty paint jobs with nice upholstery and nothing more.
It usually takes careful and knowledgeable examination to separate the grain from the chaff.......
Old 12-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #45
Mister Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
The difference between shocks / no shocks is night and day.
Once you have them properly rebuilt and installed you will wish you had not put it off....
I'm sure that's true in some cases. Driving on smooth paved roads it just doesn't seem to be a factor.

One thing left out in the discussion so far is Paul's use of 'sorted'. No matter how thorough the restoration, it was not done by a trained factory staff that does nothing but assemble Model A's with new parts every day of the year. Our restorations are done by people with various degrees of skill, restoring some parts, rebuilding some with parts that aren't quite exactly the same, or installing brand new parts made in far flung places where they don't use the parts they make. It's just common sense there will be some gremlins to flush out in the first 1,000 or so miles. That's when the car is 'sorted'. In my case, driving the car 100-200 miles a year, I've gone through cooling issues, steering issues, learning where I need to set the generator charge rate, and I still have a slow cranking engine to troubleshoot, a few windows that sometimes won't roll back up because the regulator gets hung up on something. I was stranded once with a bad condenser, and that can happen no matter how good the rest of the car is. Part of having confidence to drive these cars is having the tools and parts with you to fix these common breakdowns, and learning how to diagnose and fix them yourself. Because the AAA guy sure isn't going to know.

There are several differences between the Model A and a lawnmower:
The Model A will break down 30 miles away, not in your backyard.
The Model A uses parts that are not available at the auto parts store.
The Model A requires expertise that is not available at the local power equipment dealer.
The Model A attracts mice, the lawn mower does not.
The Model A is 1927 technology and tolerances, my mower is 2005 technology and tolerances.
My hand mower has no radiator, no battery or electric system, no lights, no brakes, no transmission, no clutch, no points, no steering, no suspension, no pneumatic tires, no windows, horn, or wiper, but other than that, yeah pretty much the same.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #46
jbwthree

Interesting discussion and one that is making me feel better about my recent purchase of a ’30 Tudor sedan. She has a nice paint job but lots of issues to sort out. All are manageable and I am enjoying the process but I haven’t been able to trust it yet for anything more than very local drives. The Model A parts suppliers are loving my new purchase because I’ve been placing weekly orders as I discover new issues. Like I tell my dog, she’s lucky she’s cute !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbwthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #47
Kurt in NJ

Lawn mowers can attract mice too, and the A was built to tighter tolerances than many modern cars

Last edited by Kurt in NJ; 12-09-2020 at 06:03 PM.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:06 PM   #48
P.S.

I was directed here by one of the thread participants and asked to comment.

I do not understand how the topic of sorted vs. restored could become an argument. This time, I 100% agree with Brent.

I have driven a lot of restored Model A's, and to be frank, some of them were downright frightening to drive.

It's pretty easy to understand if you look at it this way: Assuming you had to go on a 500+ mile drive over terrain that was not perfect and flat, and you were not allowed to have any tools or a cellphone, and there was nobody to help you. Would you trust your Model A the way it sits right this moment? I have two Model A's that are fully sorted that I would trust on such a trip. I also have 2 others that are fully restored but I would not even begin to think about driving on a trip like that. I also have one Model A that is unrestored and has never been taken apart that I consider sorted, but still would not trust it on a trip like that because I haven't personally turned every nut or bolt on it to confirm it is sorted.

So, in conclusion, my video wasn't meant to stir any controversy or emotional response. I was simply trying to share the experience I had of driving a Model A as a daily driver for the last 15 months in all conditions and why the car cannot be simply replaced with mere paper dollars in the event of a total loss. Sorting isn't a checklist you go down and check boxes or something I could make a video about "how to". Sorting may not be fully explainable to someone who doesn't already know or has done it. But Brent gets it, and I agree.

Thank you guys for watching my videos. Most of you are well beyond the personal skill level my videos are designed to help. I am mostly targeting the rank beginners and people who are thinking about getting a Model A and want to dip their toe in the water before jumping in. To have people whom I consider experts compliment my stuff is very flattering. Thanks!
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote