Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2020, 10:30 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default aluminum radiators

I have 3 or 4 old radiators I was thinking of using for my latest (non stock) project. I had been planning on a radiator from a parts truck, a '46 one ton with a G six cylinder. The bottom hose is on the wrong side and it has a few pinhole leaks. Today I dug out a very nice rad from a toyota landcruiser six, but it has a few fitment issues. Not insurmountable so I did a bit of welding on it's steel frame. Out of curiousity I did a search and came up with an aluminum 4 row radiator for a 46 one ton ford pickup. Actually it fits up to a 52. I thank it's made for gm engine conversions with bottom hose on the left (what I need). It will never look period under the hood , but has everything I need and bolts to my rad support with no modifications. Are they any good? It is a ridiculous 210.00 bucks. Was heading down to the late night shop to do battle with the toyota rad, but could do 200 bucks worth of woodwork and amazon the aluminum rad when I get back up to the house..... So far you guys haven't banished me to the hamb. Thanks
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:51 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: aluminum radiators

Hi 'Gary, my avatar roadster has a Griffin aluminum radiator that works really well. It has been in there since 2000 and has given me no trouble. It was pretty spendy though ($750), I don't know how well a $200 one would last over time.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:52 PM   #3
FortyNiner

I bought a new aluminum Champion after my original radiator sprang a leak. Fitment, performance, and cost all are great. I'll live with the loss of points in any Dearborn judged events I don't plan on entering.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:24 PM   #4
WABOOM

I put a Champion radiator in my '51 Mercury and it isn't designed correctly. It fits but the top tank is offset the wrong way and was letting a lot of fresh air escape up and over. My car ran hot with that Chinese rip off. I had to make an air dam to correct it. I regret trying to save money. You'll also have to etch and paint it if you don't want it to stick out like a boner in sweat pants too. They are bright aluminum.
WABOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:54 AM   #5
GB SISSON

OK, so it's 2-1 in favor of aluminum, although waboom gets a couple of style points for his humorous analogy. A new original style copper radiator is out of the question. After all, any 'originality' is out the window as soon as I drive up, never mind looking under the hood. The choice is between something copper that doesn't fit or aluminum. For now, I finished my flange on the Japanese radiator, painted it and bolted it into the support. My flex a lite fan showed up today along with my one wire alternator. The current radiator is not nearly as tall as stock, so I will run it for a while and plan on the aluminum one if needed. Any more input on aluminum radiators is appreciated. Been cleaning up and painting my diesel 'kit' pieces in anticipation of taking them out of this beat up chassis and installing it into my nice pickup.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 02-04-2020, 02:44 AM   #6
dumb person

Those cheap alloy radiators killed the old time radiator shops i worked in...

I had to get one modified several times, and none of the mounting holes were drilled. The guy doing my welding said it was "rubbish alloy" but overall, it was much cheaper than the $7,000 a brass one would have cost (most of that $7,000 would be tax).

Chances are, yours will fit better, may not be any welding needed.
But you'll get what you pay for. What's the worst that could happen for $200? You'd still get a year or 3 from it.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:18 AM   #7
tubman

I have no dog in this fight, but have seen this rehashed time and time again on the H.A.M.B. Surprisingly to me, most people that have used them (even the cheap ones) have a positive opinion of them. You might want to check over there for more information.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:25 AM   #8
chap52

I ran the Champion Radiator for years and loved it. It is a matter of personal choice. My 52 was not a "stock" show truck and the Champion product was a great fit, good craftmanship, worked perfectly and was priced right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0017.jpg (41.0 KB, 79 views)
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:12 PM   #9
meric42

I have one in my '42 Sedan Delivery and whilst I haven't actually driven the car yet the fit and finish was very good for the price, so I'm happy with the product so far.

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:19 PM   #10
derek costello

I have used the aluminum $200. rads on a XKE a v8 Powered triumph and 32 and 34 ford
and no problems, you have to drill your own mounting holes,
Have two brass original 32 to 34 pickup rads for sale $100ea
derek costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #11
OldDad

Have had a Champion on my ‘40 coupe for a few years now. Had to fab up some mounts for the yoke carriage bolts on the side at the time — newer ones may include them? Anyway, solved all my overheating problems, and have had no problems with it whatsoever. Seems well built with quality welds. Miss the old split core, but not the extra $1000 dollar plus bill to recore it. And as far as originality goes ... aluminum heads, aluminum intake, aluminum radiator — works for me, and I’m sure it would have made my father’s generation of hot rodders giddy if they could have gotten their hands on one — especially for the price.
OldDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #12
GB SISSON

The deed is done.... 4 row listed for 1946 one ton pickup with chevy engine. Lower hose is on the drivers side. 246 bucks includes tax and free delivery. Amazon.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #13
drolston

This board is all over regarding aluminum radiators. The low cost Champion radiators work great for some, not for others. I have a big inch flathead in my '41 coupe, with high compression. No amount of additives, baffles, shrouds, or fan spacers would get that radiator to keep that engine cool at idle, or above 60 mph, on a warm day, . Fixed the brass/copper truck radiator that was in the car when I got it and now it cools fine.

So, with all your options, you should be able to find the combination of radiator area and air flow that works.
drolston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #14
GB SISSON

Thanks! Hey, does a four row radiator always cool better than a 3? At some point does that 4th row make it harder for air to pass through? That said, I never had any cooling issues with my other two cummins 6at powered trucks. In fact I kept a scrap of black formica behind the seat to drop in front of the rad if I wanted the heater to produce .
Old 02-05-2020, 07:24 PM   #15
leon bee

I've been wondering how this aluminum radiator question will evolve over the years. I put one in my 50 car two years ago. $204 shipped. Champion branded, bought it from an outfit that seemed like car people. My only single complaint would be that it cools a little too well. If anyone were to get on my case about this cheap shortcut, well, I have 3 leaky clogged up originals out back and don't plan on throwing them away.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:29 PM   #16
GB SISSON

Funny thing is my red '47 tonner pickup with the worn out flathead has an aluminum radiator in it now. The PO told me he bought the cheap two row aluminum job just so he could get the truck running and drive it onto his trailer and sell it at the Portland swap meet. I had considered capping off two of the outlets and using it, but with all the effort so far I want this to look better than that under the hood, and two rows I wouldn't be happy with. The reason I bring this up is because as a cheapo chinese radiator, I cannot believe how beautiful all those welds are. Perhaps done by robotics or highly skilled production welders?
Old 02-08-2020, 12:33 AM   #17
OldDad

Couple more things. I would agree with Leon that, if anything, the Champion cools too well. it came with a 15 lb cap, which I immediately replaced with a 7 lb cap, and wonder if that might still be a bit much for my old heater core, eventually. Heater takes forever to warm up on a cold day.

I have a 267 inch 8.5 to 1 compression flathead which behaved very much like drolston’s (hot at idle and at speed) with my old split-core radiator, which had been rodded-out in Ensenada Mexico for the grand sum of $17.00 in the early ‘80’s! So, likely a far cry from a properly recored version. I often wonder how much this overheating may have been exacerbated by the newly rebuilt tight engine at that time.

Anyway, it all went away with the new Champion. Just my two cents.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:11 AM   #18
FortyNiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
The reason I bring this up is because as a cheapo chinese radiator, I cannot believe how beautiful all those welds are. Perhaps done by robotics or highly skilled production welders?
Of all the Chinese factories I visited in the 2010s, exactly none had any meaningful automation. There is an strong technical school practice, along with a complete disregard for worker safety, as a common element. A growing trend was a stronger focus on quality and workmanship - some of it seen with the aluminum radiators. I too was taken by the demonstrated proficiency. Nothing slap dash here.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:53 PM   #19
GB SISSON

Well I opened the box after the UPS driver dropped it off. Good thing I wasn't wearing sweat pants!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0126.jpg (68.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0130.jpg (93.6 KB, 135 views)
Old 02-11-2020, 10:47 PM   #20
WABOOM

Ha!!!
WABOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:29 AM   #21
GB SISSON

!!!!! Sharp eyed readers might note that the radiator is bolted to the FRONT of the U shaped radiator support not the back side. This gives me another 1/2" of clearance right up to the flexolite fan recomendation of 1". It bothered me that the radiator would be hanging off the weld capturing the captured nuts, which is structurally backwards, but I came up with the idea of using a bolt 1/2" longer than Henry's and I'll put a nylock nut on the radiator side. Perhaps even an upgrade. Kind of like those guys that wear a belt AND suspenders!
Old 02-12-2020, 10:37 PM   #22
Tinker

I think if you are not going for original. Just compare the volume and add a little.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:11 AM   #23
GB SISSON

Pretty much left off original with the diesel. Will look bone stock without lifting the hood. None of this aluminum wheel, slamming it to the pavement billet stuff on this mountain.....
Old 02-13-2020, 12:17 AM   #24
Tinker

I know. and mean nothing by it. Neat project.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:39 AM   #25
deuce5wndw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Well I opened the box after the UPS driver dropped it off. Good thing I wasn't wearing sweat pants!
Uh oh sounds like the furniture maker has wood!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:35 AM   #26
OldDad

Nice piece for the price, eh? And the diesel and chassis look to be made for each other. But the bench and shop wall is almost as interesting. We definitely share the same organizational plan! And what is that beautiful large-scale model on the shelf with the helmeted driver?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 PM   #27
GB SISSON

I bought it at a Value Village thrift store for 20 bucks. It looks to be made of wood, but I haven't drilled into it, The driver upon close inspection looks to be from India,,,,,,
Old 02-15-2020, 03:47 AM   #28
cajunfirehawk

When I was tired of my PO's original radiator repair using an ear plug, I looked into replacements. I actually bought two; one cheap china alum unit off of ebay for under $200 and its fine but a total generic until other than 4 hose connections and I could have made it work. But I found a locally sourced alum unit made in the US close to where I live and went with them. It works great and the flatty runs cool, I had some fitment issues with the unit and the company was eager to take it back and fix the issue which had to cost them a pretty penny to ship it back and forth twice but they did. I think in this day and age unless you live in a hot rod rich environment like California, its hard to find a real old time radiator shop that does real radiator work any more so aluminum units come into play, YMMV.

1936 FORD Tudor Slantback

"cajunhotrodder" on instagram/youtube
cajunfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:08 PM   #29
FLSTF

When you guys swapped to an aluminum radiator, how did you run your wire lume to the passenger side? Normally it would run in the channel that is attached to the brass radiator.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
FLSTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #30
GB SISSON

As for me, my entire harness is made from discarded extension cords. On jobsites the 'twenty something' crowd will often toss something like a 12 gauge 50 footer in the trash when an end goes out. Color coded and jacketed wire for free! I attach to existing holes in the frame with black zip ties. This is performed in a workmanlike manor complete with headlight relays and circuit breakers. It's not ugly and disorganized like my workbench. This wiring will span the space under the radiator nicely. BTW, the diesel swap has about 500 miles on it running nice and cool.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #31
cas3

great minds think alike GB ! its nice fine strand wire too
cas3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:36 AM   #32
1948F-1Pickup

In general I'm not a proponent of aluminum radiators. I had a mighty expensive Made in USA one from Fluidyne that I installed on a '66 Mustang,
thinking it would cool better than the old copper brass unit. My new radiator was in the car about 3 days before I had a hand-built copper brass one back in the car. The aluminum unit took longer to heat up but it ran 20 degrees hotter. So much for "3 rows of staggered tube" BS being better. I'll take the "inefficiency" of 4 inline rows and the lower operating temp of the copper brass.

Might be different with a flathead engine, but my 10.5:1 Windsor didn't like it.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote