Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2020, 01:29 AM   #21
GB SISSON

Default Re: aluminum radiators

!!!!! Sharp eyed readers might note that the radiator is bolted to the FRONT of the U shaped radiator support not the back side. This gives me another 1/2" of clearance right up to the flexolite fan recomendation of 1". It bothered me that the radiator would be hanging off the weld capturing the captured nuts, which is structurally backwards, but I came up with the idea of using a bolt 1/2" longer than Henry's and I'll put a nylock nut on the radiator side. Perhaps even an upgrade. Kind of like those guys that wear a belt AND suspenders!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:37 PM   #22
Tinker

I think if you are not going for original. Just compare the volume and add a little.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:11 AM   #23
GB SISSON

Pretty much left off original with the diesel. Will look bone stock without lifting the hood. None of this aluminum wheel, slamming it to the pavement billet stuff on this mountain.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 02-13-2020, 12:17 AM   #24
Tinker

I know. and mean nothing by it. Neat project.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:39 AM   #25
deuce5wndw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Well I opened the box after the UPS driver dropped it off. Good thing I wasn't wearing sweat pants!
Uh oh sounds like the furniture maker has wood!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:35 AM   #26
OldDad

Nice piece for the price, eh? And the diesel and chassis look to be made for each other. But the bench and shop wall is almost as interesting. We definitely share the same organizational plan! And what is that beautiful large-scale model on the shelf with the helmeted driver?
OldDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 PM   #27
GB SISSON

I bought it at a Value Village thrift store for 20 bucks. It looks to be made of wood, but I haven't drilled into it, The driver upon close inspection looks to be from India,,,,,,
Old 02-15-2020, 03:47 AM   #28
cajunfirehawk

When I was tired of my PO's original radiator repair using an ear plug, I looked into replacements. I actually bought two; one cheap china alum unit off of ebay for under $200 and its fine but a total generic until other than 4 hose connections and I could have made it work. But I found a locally sourced alum unit made in the US close to where I live and went with them. It works great and the flatty runs cool, I had some fitment issues with the unit and the company was eager to take it back and fix the issue which had to cost them a pretty penny to ship it back and forth twice but they did. I think in this day and age unless you live in a hot rod rich environment like California, its hard to find a real old time radiator shop that does real radiator work any more so aluminum units come into play, YMMV.

1936 FORD Tudor Slantback

"cajunhotrodder" on instagram/youtube
cajunfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:08 PM   #29
FLSTF

When you guys swapped to an aluminum radiator, how did you run your wire lume to the passenger side? Normally it would run in the channel that is attached to the brass radiator.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
FLSTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #30
GB SISSON

As for me, my entire harness is made from discarded extension cords. On jobsites the 'twenty something' crowd will often toss something like a 12 gauge 50 footer in the trash when an end goes out. Color coded and jacketed wire for free! I attach to existing holes in the frame with black zip ties. This is performed in a workmanlike manor complete with headlight relays and circuit breakers. It's not ugly and disorganized like my workbench. This wiring will span the space under the radiator nicely. BTW, the diesel swap has about 500 miles on it running nice and cool.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:32 PM   #31
cas3

great minds think alike GB ! its nice fine strand wire too
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:36 AM   #32
1948F-1Pickup

In general I'm not a proponent of aluminum radiators. I had a mighty expensive Made in USA one from Fluidyne that I installed on a '66 Mustang,
thinking it would cool better than the old copper brass unit. My new radiator was in the car about 3 days before I had a hand-built copper brass one back in the car. The aluminum unit took longer to heat up but it ran 20 degrees hotter. So much for "3 rows of staggered tube" BS being better. I'll take the "inefficiency" of 4 inline rows and the lower operating temp of the copper brass.

Might be different with a flathead engine, but my 10.5:1 Windsor didn't like it.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote