Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #1
tubman

Default Dwell Meters

There is a thread on the H.A.M.B. about dwell meters. I asked this over there, and didn't get a response :

I have a question. I have an Actron engine tester that works fine on 12 volt systems, but does not work on 6 volts no matter what I try. It is powered by 2 clips to the battery. I have seen dwell/tach units that are not powered; they only have two test leads. Is it safe to assume that the units with test leads only will work on 6 volt systems?

Anyone here know?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Dwell Meters

Can't find a manual or instructions anywhere? Older units should have worked on 6v and 12v I would think.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:35 AM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
There is a thread on the H.A.M.B. about dwell meters. I asked this over there, and didn't get a response :

I have a question. I have an Actron engine tester that works fine on 12 volt systems, but does not work on 6 volts no matter what I try. It is powered by 2 clips to the battery. I have seen dwell/tach units that are not powered; they only have two test leads. Is it safe to assume that the units with test leads only will work on 6 volt systems?

Anyone here know?
Don't really understand what you are trying to accomplish but have you in fact connected it to a stand alone 12 volt battery to operate it ?
Old 07-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

What unit do you have? Something like the Model 615?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (106.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600a.jpg (89.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:14 AM   #5
tubman

That's the one I have. It works with any 12 volt system I have tried it with. However, I have hooked it up to my '51 (which is 6 volt positive ground) every way I can think of and the dwell function does not work. I have decided I need a second unit. I have seen several on eBay that have only test leads (NO power leads) and am just trying to confirm if those are not voltage sensitive. If you have one that has no power leads that works on your 6 volt vehicle, please answer "Yes, I have a XYZ model 123 that works fine with my car" or something similar.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
RalphG

I have a cheap "70s" vintage dwell meter that just connects to the coil and a ground. It works on either 6 or 12 volt. Positive or negative ground.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
That's the one I have. It works with any 12 volt system I have tried it with. However, I have hooked it up to my '51 (which is 6 volt positive ground) every way I can think of and the dwell function does not work. I have decided I need a second unit. I have seen several on eBay that have only test leads (NO power leads) and am just trying to confirm if those are not voltage sensitive. If you have one that has no power leads that works on your 6 volt vehicle, please answer "Yes, I have a XYZ model 123 that works fine with my car" or something similar.

Yes, I have a model BT-162 Accurate dwell/tach. Simple two lead, works on 6 or 12V, positive or negative ground. Bought it in the early '60s and still works great. Last I checked there were at least two listed on that auction site.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
tubman

Thank you, gentlemen, that's the information I wanted.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #9
Bored&Stroked

Is it that it needs internal power from a 12V source? If so, just hook it up to a 12V battery (separate from the car) and then try to see if the dwell function works. I can use my dwell meter on my SUN distributor machine (which I do) - just powering it from a 12V battery that I use for accessories.

I do the same thing with my timing light - use a 12V battery to power it and then hook it up to the flathead in my 32 - which runs on 6V positive ground. The ignition system on the engine "fires/triggers" the timing light - though it gets its power from a 12V source.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
tubman

I have tried powering it from a twelve volt battery; some of the functions worked; some did not. I think it is a grounding problem (how does the dwell signal get back to ground when the battery is separate?) and considered tying the two systems together, but thought that I might damage something. I just ordered a nice looking BT-162 from eBay for a total of $21.90 (including shipping). I'm much more comfortable this way than taking a chance of damaging the other unit (which is permanently mounted on my engine test stand).
Old 07-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #11
Hoop

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rayovac-H...Count/17163351

Not for Tubman but for other guys who may be interested, $6.44 for a pair of 6V batteries ... in series = 12V. Nice, cheap power supply for either 6V or 12V electronics.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #12
rotorwrench

Testing the dwell required a lead connected to the breaker side of the coil so it can tell how much time it takes for the points to open and close. It will measure open time and closed time to get a reading. A multi tester can read volts and amps too but the hook up is different for each type of test. There should be internal setting for different applications by adjusting the control switch for each application. For dwell there should be adjustments for different breaker cam types for 4, 6, or 8 cylinder engines.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Looks like on the 615 it uses different scales for 4-6-8 cylinders.