Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2020, 09:55 AM   #1
1stford

Default 4 post lifts

Anyone have experience with 4 post lifts? I was considering 2 different ones. One made by forward/direct lift or bendpak. The bend pack set up is going to run about 1500-1800 more then the forward.

Really just wondering if the name brand is worth the extra money or if direct lift is a good one?

Last edited by 1stford; 11-14-2020 at 10:05 AM.
1stford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 4 post lifts

I have a 4-post and love it. But, I have had it for many years and the company is no longer around.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
Pat/Ohio

I have had a Backyard Buddy lift for many years with no problems. Perhaps the safest 4-post lift on the market. They are a bit pricey. I believe I paid around $3,200 fifteen years ago. Purchased the taller one to give me more head room. They are made in Ohio with USA or Canadian steel...no Chinese stuff!

Here is their link: www.advantagelifts.com

Good Luck and Stay Safe!
Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pat's Garage AB.jpg (76.5 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg Pat's Garage E.jpg (76.5 KB, 132 views)
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
adileo

I have an Atlas 8k extended height lift. I’ve had it about 4-5 years. It was professionally installed and have had no issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 987E4EDE-F4A5-4017-9F71-8F2EE114DCDA.jpeg (43.4 KB, 95 views)

Andy
1952 F1
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #5
mfagan

I have both 4 post and two post lifts. The four post is good if you don’t need access to remove wheels. Currently use the 4 post for storing a car in the air to gain floor space, the 2 post is what I use the most. Oil changes, brake jobs, etc.

If I had to choose one it would be the 2 post.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

I'm with Marvin, though there is nothing to stop you from storing a car on a 2-post lift . . . that is unless you live in a major "Earthquake" zone. . And if you had a major earthquake with a 4 post lift, you might have issues anyway . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #7
1stford

I currently have a 2 post. I’m looking to create space.
1stford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #8
flatford8

I have an Atlas two post in one building and have plans to buy a four post to put in another building for storage. I’ve had no issues with the two post at all...... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:59 PM   #9
51504bat

For what its worth, most of the shops in town use Bend Pak lifts. Both 2 and 4 post.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #10
glennpm

I have a BendPak 4-post and like it. I wired it 220V.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #11
Vics Stuff

I have to agree with Pat/Ohio I have had a Backyard Buddy lift for many years with no problems. Perhaps the safest 4-post lift on the market. They are a bit pricey. I believe I paid around $3,200 fifteen years ago. Purchased the taller one to give me more head room. They are made in Ohio with USA or Canadian steel...no Chinese stuff!

Here is their link: www.advantagelifts.com

I have looked at them all and am staying away from the Chineese / off shore ones. Looking at the steel that the off shore / Chineese use is a bit thinner and are made of sheet stock bent then welded not like the ones made in the US that use extruded thicker material. I am looking at buying at least 4ea lifts and would not even consider anything but US made. Keep my money here in America.
vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 02:39 PM   #12
tubman

I am planning on buying and installing a 4-post lift next spring. I am more inclined to buy on price. I have to believe that any lift sold by a reputable distributor in the United States has to meet certain minimum safety standards. It seems the minimum capacity lift generally available is 8000 lbs. Since the lift I install will have minimal use and be called upon to be used with cars of less than half that weight, I should be on solid ground. I don't have a 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive truck, a large SUV or anything similar and will not use it for anything approaching commercial use. I am not automatically scared off by the "C" word either.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 02:54 PM   #13
adileo

I replaced the front axle on my F1 using the Atlas 4 post lift. You can do almost anything a 2 post can do. A 4 post is not just a storage lift.

I do agree a 2 post makes it easier (for some jobs) however, I also like the advantage of the ability to store a car under option.

Andy
1952 F1
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #14
Krylon32

I have a BendPak 7000lb tall 4 post. Mines wired for 110 and works fine. I needed it for shop work but most of the time my 32 Ford pickup is stored on top. I have a 12ft 6inch ceiling so I can walk underneath with no problems. Also I bolted mine to the floor for more stability. I looked for quite a while before purchasing and thought BendPak looked like the best choice for me. I bought it from a company in Omaha who brought it down (125 miles) and installed it in a short day.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:23 PM   #15
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I am planning on buying and installing a 4-post lift next spring. I am more inclined to buy on price. I have to believe that any lift sold by a reputable distributor in the United States has to meet certain minimum safety standards. It seems the minimum capacity lift generally available is 8000 lbs. Since the lift I install will have minimal use and be called upon to be used with cars of less than half that weight, I should be on solid ground. I don't have a 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive truck, a large SUV or anything similar and will not use it for anything approaching commercial use. I am not automatically scared off by the "C" word either.
Ended up discussing lifts with a truck driver at my old job. Said he got a bargain; but burning the paint off to repair skipped and shoddy welds was not something he planned on. Guy said the unit he was showed must have been a "show model" vs the "production" model that was delivered. Sales rep disappeared right away, too. A future failure of the non-repairable imported hyd power unit negated a bunch of his initial savings.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:42 PM   #16
waldo

I have a Bend-Pak scissors lift , my latest one. Very disappointed it was made in China. The instructions were a jumble of English and misleading. It called for a 1 1/4 masonry bit which was expensive and only required a 1" which I already had. A big hammer and a lot of grinding to assemble. The console was so bad I finally drilled new holes and used the big hammer to make the cover fit. Way overpriced at $5000. I got little help as I am not versed in broken Chinese/English.
waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:48 PM   #17
waldo

I also have 2 4-post lifts and a 2 post. I use the 4 posts mostly to store 2 cars. The 2 post does it all including storing one in the air.
waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:11 PM   #18
flatford8

1stford.....there are a lot of YouTube videos and reviews online of many lifts. I would suggest spending a rainy afternoon researching..... you’ll find one that your comfortable with the price, quality and function.....that’s what I did before purchasing mine.....
Good Luck with your search......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #19
Mart

One of the youtube channels I follow is Mustie1. he bought a Wildfire 4 poster. He bought it after seeing one on another youtube channel Vice grip garage. just mentioning as he (Mustie 1) seems very pleased with it.

https://youtu.be/jhwB237I360

No affiliation, just posting in case it proves useful.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #20
JM 35 Sedan

I also have a 4 post lift, made by Backyard Buddy in Ohio, with increased height and length as compared to their standard lift. I wanted to make sure I could lift a 3/4T, 4WD, extended length truck and most any type passenger car. Although I've had it for 3 years, I just set it up in a new shop last year, and have not used it that much. I will say it assembled relatively easily, works well, and is definitely a well designed, high quality lift. It was a bit more expensive than other lifts I priced but sometimes you get what you pay for. Safety, quality, reliability, and versatility were all carefully considered when making this purchase.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote