Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2020, 10:48 PM   #21
deuce_roadster

Default Re: We live in truly amazing times!

That handle looks small enough it could be cast in stainless and polished. I have had a number of parts made that way starting by making a wax copy and then cast, the molten stainless makes the wax disappear. One of my friends apprenticed as a mold maker but did avionic work on the 787 flight deck. He has made large complex parts like the winged emblem on a 40 COE grille. I had one for mine before I sold the truck.
I don't think he is doing it anymore as he has his own projects but many folks can do the lost wax process.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:09 PM   #22
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Could you list a few please? I would like to get a few quotes to have a back up convertible top handle made. They are pot metal and do break easily, and rarely come up on e-bay.

Thank you.
Get a piece of aluminum and start grinding, sawing. I imagine you could duplicate that piece fairly close. who cares if the backside isn't hollowed out as no one will see it. polish or have it plated
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-13-2020, 02:35 AM   #23
Tinker

3D printing will be easier to have done. In reality it's very close, but expensive and will for now be for who can afford it. It is getting better everyday for small parts. Don't expect 3d printed parts for mass at nickels on the dime. It's come a long way. Has a way to go. 5 axis milling could do the same thing with a scan of the part. But you can do the same with a little work on a small part with a file. If you choose. Very promising technology.

Last edited by Tinker; 11-13-2020 at 02:42 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #24
Merc Cruzer

Thank you all for your input. As deuce_roadster pointed out, it appears that having the part cast, is the most direct and simplest way to go, at this time, not to mention the most cost effective way.

3D printing, has come a long way but, is still a bit out of reach, for the masses.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote