Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2020, 02:52 PM   #21
justanotherguy

Default Re: Removing transmission 1947 Mercury

V8COOPMAN, I like how you think... certainly something to seriously consider. Since my exhaust is already unhooked, another option (with more steps) is to remove h2o hoses and the fan assembly (leave the radiator) and remove front engine mount bolts, then with a cradle, just move the engine forward an inch. Removing the trans is only one part of this. It all has to go back together at some point too. So putting pressure plate back on in reverse order? Hmmmm...
justanotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #22
slowforty

I would probably move the engine forward, Watch out for the radiator
Then you dont have to fool with the clutch.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:34 PM   #23
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
V8COOPMAN, I like how you think. It all has to go back together at some point too. So putting pressure plate back on in reverse order? Hmmmm...
That's why I suggested a NEW (different) clutch, so that next time, it comes out like it should. With trans out of the way, easy clutch bolt-up to flywheel. But, what do I know? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:07 PM   #24
justanotherguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
That's why I suggested a NEW (different) clutch, so that next time, it comes out like it should. With trans out of the way, easy clutch bolt-up to flywheel. But, what do I know? DD
Well, V8COOPMAN, that makes a lot of sense. But where's the fun in that?
Old 08-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #25
justanotherguy

Slowforty – Yeah, to me it's 6 of one and...
Hey, is it 5:00 somewhere?
Old 08-31-2020, 12:14 AM   #26
slowforty

did you disconnect the flex brake line on the torque tube, so you can move the torque tube back further. also replace the flex line with a longer one . so next time you wont have to bleed the brakes
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:19 PM   #27
justanotherguy

slowforty... the torque tube wasn't an issue at all. It came out easy. But I might look into your idea of making the flex line a little longer... even though I hope I won't have to do this again.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:07 AM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Cool Re: Removing transmission 1947 Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
I might look into your idea of making the flex line a little longer... even though I hope I won't have to do this again.
Well, justanotherguy, that makes a lot of sense. But where's the fun in that?

DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 09-01-2020, 02:37 AM   #29
mercman from oz

I know that these Videos refer in particular to the Model A Ford, nevertheless, they are very educational and could be helpful to early Ford V8 guys. In these Videos, the owner removes the rear end to allow the transmission to be removed. Check them out.

#1.........https://youtu.be/RPzUwu3Jf5Y

#2.........https://youtu.be/_ZNVWUrvAcY

#3.........https://youtu.be/XYVHcLX1qXY

#4.........https://youtu.be/rVC-fSBe4WM
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #30
justanotherguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Well, justanotherguy, that makes a lot of sense. But where's the fun in that?

DD
Ha! Okay, first laugh of the day! You got me! Not sure when I can get back on this project again. A lot has to be done before I can "slide" the engine forward an inch, including make room for a hoist in front of the car. Think giant Rubik's Cube.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:08 PM   #31
bobH

slide the engine forward an inch.... I'm having trouble with this. I realize you've tried everything possible, but it sure seems like moving the engine forward should NOT be necessary. I've had the transmission out of my 47 Ford, three times in the last 18 years. Never had to move the engine. I realize a Ford is not a Mercury, but still, are they that different? All I recall at this point, I removed the ujoint and rear bearing retainer (trans mount). I think one time I removed the side cover (shifter cover), although I don't think this was necessary. I also dropped the front wishbone, forcing it down with a 2x4 between the wishbone and the frame. It's been quite awhile, and my memory fades, so if there were 'tricks', I seem to have forgotten. The Motor Manual for 40-48 Mercury makes no big deal of trans removal. Quoting.."Unfasten the transmission from the engine and lift it out." The Ford Motor Company publication 3606-42-48, Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Service Manual, 1942-1948, dated August 15, 1948, states essentially what I've posted here, with no further 'tricks'. Something I'm not catching about your problem. My best wishes / good luck.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #32
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
slide the engine forward an inch.... I'm having trouble with this. I realize you've tried everything possible, but it sure seems like moving the engine forward should NOT be necessary.

I've had the transmission out of my 47 Ford, three times in the last 18 years. Never had to move the engine. I realize a Ford is not a Mercury, but still, are they that different?

Something I'm not catching about your problem.
You must have missed "THE SOLUTION" back in post #19, which I've quoted BELOW. DD
__________________________________________________ ___

"Mystery solved: I slept on it. Then I got up this morning, and with only one cup of coffee (it usually takes 3) went out to the garage to take some measurements. Taking measurements from another flathead block with stock clutch attached, that pressure plate protrudes 7/8” into the trans housing. The Pressure plate I got from Fort Wayne Clutch protrudes 1 1/4” into the trans housing. And that my friends, is the 3/8” difference that I needed to clear everything. Not an issue if everything comes out the front. Mystery solved."

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 09-06-2020, 07:08 PM   #33
justanotherguy

Smile Re: Removing transmission 1947 Mercury

Update: IT'S OUT! So, after attempting to disconnect the U-joint with some wobblies and a socket (doesn't work very well) I realized that I could link my 2 long 3/8" ratchet extensions together (resulting in probably a 16-18" reach) and go through the rear of the X member, then all the way through to the bolt in the center of the U-joint. It works really well. After the U-joint was out, the 6 bolts of the rear mount (or bearing retainer) came out along with the retainer casting just as easy. This gave me ample room to lift the trans out inside the car. Of course everything was propped up nice and secure before all this. Thank you all for your suggestions, including Talkwench who, way back this thread, mentioned removing the bearing retainer right there in plain English. I guess, I had a mental block on that, since it isn't mentioned in the shop manual... and wouldn't have been necessary if my pressure plate was stock. Anyway, thanks everyone!
Old 09-07-2020, 03:16 AM   #34
tubman

Years ago, I bought a 24" long 3/8" extension from Sears. It has been one of the handiest tools I have.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:43 AM   #35
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Years ago, I bought a 24" long 3/8" extension from Sears. It has been one of the handiest tools I have.
You know, this might be a good topic for a new thread...."What Is Your Favorite Tool?" You run with that, Denny!

My favorite tool is without doubt an old X-Cell brand screwdriver that is approximately 2 ft. long. I've owned it near forty years now. It has a 'straight point' (flat tip) that is about 1/2" wide, and the long shank leading down to that tip is probably about 7/16" square in shape, just right to get a wrench on if necessary. And the handle is a big, 'manly' yellow-grooved plastic for a good grip, and it has a carry-through metal flat on the end of the handle making it fit to hammer on. It'll undo any screw that is "undo-able", and it makes one hell of a prybar, even though I have a variety of dedicated pry bars. This screw driver just works and feels great doing many jobs. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-19-2020, 06:32 PM   #36
justanotherguy

Quick update: The old Merc is back on the road! Thanks again everyone. The trans went in the same way it came out and now I'm a believer that removing the torque tube is much easier than it initially seemed. I also took the advantage of it being out to run new brake lines on the rear (it has a dual MC and the front lines are good). So now I'm doing shake down runs around town. It runs great, seems to shift well, but It looks and handles like a fat turd... a lot of body roll, and it already has a sway bar and Panhard bars. Maybe I'll give Posies some money. I'm thinking if I tackle the suspension issues, this will warrant a new thread.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:20 PM   #37
19Fordy

Be sure to remove the rubber biscuits between the floor board and the frame if there are any. This will allow you to use wooden door stop shaped wedges to raise the floor pans upward. Just an idea. These pictures are of a 40 ford but perhaps it will help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9160b.jpg (50.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9174b.jpg (59.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9181b.jpg (52.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9182b.jpg (71.7 KB, 36 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:48 PM   #38
frederic

I smile when I read this Thread. It takes me back to the 60's when old fords were cheap and I had many. Our solution to getting the trans out through the top was to cut 2-3 inch x 8-9 inches long section out of the floor board just behind the trans. How many floor boards we ruined I have no idea but luckily I have not run into them when purchasing restored or restorable cars subsequent and current years.

Frederic
frederic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 02:47 PM   #39
Kerk

Quick Question ? Are you dealing with a 9 inch or larger clutch plate ? I know back in the mid 50s on my Merc convt. I changed many transmissions . Do not remember having that much trouble!
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 02:57 PM   #40
justanotherguy

@Kerk, Yes, I'd have to check my notes for exactness, but the plate is just over 10"... and a little thicker (deeper) than stock. I like to create my own problems
But it's shifting well now, that's the main thing.