Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
rembrandt78737

Default 1929 Model A Fordor gas tank removal issue

I'm in the process of removing a leaky gas tank from a 1929 Model A Fordor. I've removed all the necessary pieces required to drop the tank through the cab (steering column, bolts, etc.). Can't get the gas spout to release from the cowl though. I know it's supposed to drop through a hole in the top of the cowling. I know some have been painted on and take some effort to break loose.

Mine seems to have a lock ring of sorts larger than what I imagine the cowl hole to be, however. On the inside of the tank inlet there appears to be a lock ring of sorts that would require some kind of key to release.

This is my first Model A, so this may be what they all look like. I don't want to damage anything out of ignorance. Not sure what I'm looking at here so would appreciate any advice you guys can offer. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3488.jpg (54.6 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3487.jpg (38.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3495.jpg (61.8 KB, 98 views)
rembrandt78737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
jb-ob

Default Re: 1929 Model A Fordor gas tank removal issue

Rem,

I believe what you are looking at inside the gas filler is the remaining ring of the original gas strainer.....and nothing to do with holding the tank in place.

Originally there was a square piece of matting with a hole in it for the threaded gas tank neck to stick thru. This matting was on top of the tank, under the cowling, to prevent gas & weather to seep into the car.

90 years later either that matting has a firm grip to both the tank top & cowl bottom or sometime in the past another owner slobbered a lot of additional sealant between the two. I suspect it is simply suck.

IF all the bracing on the sides & front of the tank have been removed, careful tugging & pushing is required. I'd also suggest much padding under the tank for when it's ready to drop, it will quickly.

What's with the 'T' ?? J. Brand
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #3
Gary WA

welcome!the tank is part of the cowling The windshield needs to be removed, the tank is lifted up toward the motor not thru the cab. Should purchase The Model A Ford Mehanics hand Book by Les Andrews.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Where is your leak?

If your leak is from where the Steering column support attaches to the tank there are some workarounds. In 31 ford moved this support from the tank to the Dash.

If the leak is elsewhere, others her on the Barn may have helpful tips/help.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #5
Sunnybrook Farm

I can't figure how to upload images but my tank that I removed from a fordor 40 years ago is identical to your photos. It is not a part of the cowl but just drops down out of the cowl. The ring on the outside is just part of the filler and is actually smaller than the hole in the cowl so just work with it as it should come out of there. Mine had a square piece of material between the cowl and tank at the filler area and looked as though it had been quickly smeared with something black to give a little separation between the entire top of the tank and the cowl. The tank had a mid 29 date on it as I remember.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #6
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
welcome!the tank is part of the cowling The windshield needs to be removed, the tank is lifted up toward the motor not thru the cab. Should purchase The Model A Ford Mehanics hand Book by Les Andrews.

Not on the 1928-29 Fordors.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:24 PM   #7
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Not on the 1928-29 Fordors.

Bob
My mistake didn't read all!
Old 02-23-2020, 05:46 PM   #8
rembrandt78737

Thanks for all the input. Just needed to know I wasn't looking at another short cut solution the previous owner had done.

Took about twenty minutes of gentle twisting left to right from within the cab and it finally broke loose. There was the square felt mat between the top of the tank and the cowl as was mentioned.

I ordered the filter screen removal tool before anyone had responded. Obviously, I didn't need it to get the tank out but will need it to remove the filter. Once I got the tank off something was rattling around in it. Turns out it was the old strainer. Guess it broke off at some point and has been loose in the bottom of the tank. I'll need to wait for the tool so I can hopefully remove the locking ring. No other exit point is big enough to remove the old filter.

Thanks again for the commentary. This forum has been a wealth of info. I have all three of the mechanics handbooks, but the gas tank removal section doesn't cover the Fordors, only the models that the tank is the cowl.
rembrandt78737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:31 PM   #9
supergnat

Glad you were able to get the tank out. I removed mine and installed a tank from another car because mine was filled with rust. I had a very difficult time getting that tank into my car. I would recommend that you have a helper. You may have better luck is you are re-installing the same tank you removed. Be sure to reinstall the felt square. I think it keeps the tank from vibrating against the cowl due to engine vibration but it may serve another purpose too. Gool luck. Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:40 PM   #10
Russ B

Glad it came out more or less as expected. The square of felt on my 1929 Briggs Body cabriolet was tar impregnated and just took time to slowly pry it loose. Mine looked brand new on top. Any such leaky tank from one of these cars would be very desirable to a hot rodder who would likely be cutting the bottom out of a good tank. You might be able to trade yours for a better non-leaking tank using the HAMB classifieds. All 1928-9 tanks are interchangeable to the best of my knowledge.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:13 AM   #11
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
Any such leaky tank from one of these cars would be very desirable to a hot rodder who would likely be cutting the bottom out of a good tank.

I’m curious, why so hot rodders cut the bottom out of gas tanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #12
Russ B

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
I’m curious, why so hot rodders cut the bottom out of gas tanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They use the space for wiring and heater. Removal also allows use of a deuce dash panel and a wide variety of instrument panels that require more depth than the gas tank would allow.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #13
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembrandt78737 View Post
I ordered the filter screen removal tool before anyone had responded. Obviously, I didn't need it to get the tank out but will need it to remove the filter. Once I got the tank off something was rattling around in it. Turns out it was the old strainer. Guess it broke off at some point and has been loose in the bottom of the tank. I'll need to wait for the tool so I can hopefully remove the locking ring. No other exit point is big enough to remove the old filter.

One cause of the strainer/filter/flame arrestor dropping into the tank is not being careful with the gas nozzle when filling with gas. This happens more often on As with the Tab style strainer than on cars with threaded screw in strainer. When it drops in it rolls around in the bottom of the tank and can damage the gas gauge (cork/neoprene float) or get caught and cause the gauge not to work properly - Had this happen to me.

Getting the strainer out was not fun, but was able to have a second person shine a light down the fill hole, position the strainer for me while I hooked it and pulled it out through the Gas Gauge Hole. Had to use a heavy duty large needle nose pliers and mangle/bend it up to pull it out.

I did not replace it , took forever to fill the tank with it in, and had to be extra careful so the strainer would not fall into the tank. I am always careful to tough the nozzle to the car before putting the nozzle into the fill to insure I do not cause a spark.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:04 PM   #14
shew01

Quote:
They use the space for wiring and heater. Removal also allows use of a deuce dash panel and a wide variety of instrument panels that require more depth than the gas tank would allow.
Ahhh... That makes sense. I've noticed some of the hot roads have a gas cap somewhere on the rear of the car.
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:25 PM   #15
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
My mistake didn't read all!
But Gary, we just saw one on a 29 coupe, so what gives with that? Very curious.
I was once told they were only on the fordoor also.
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:32 PM   #16
vern hodgson

Quote:
Glad it came out more or less as expected. The square of felt on my 1929 Briggs Body cabriolet was tar impregnated and just took time to slowly pry it loose. Mine looked brand new on top. Any such leaky tank from one of these cars would be very desirable to a hot rodder who would likely be cutting the bottom out of a good tank. You might be able to trade yours for a better non-leaking tank using the HAMB classifieds. All 1928-9 tanks are interchangeable to the best of my knowledge.
So what is the story behind this type of tank? I thought only the fordors had them, so also on a cabriolet and also a coupe?
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:11 AM   #17
WPB1929

Trying to remove a gas tank from my 1929 Model A it is a sedan. Do I need to drop the steering column? Any ideas will sure help.
WPB1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:33 PM   #18
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPB1929 View Post
Trying to remove a gas tank from my 1929 Model A it is a sedan. Do I need to drop the steering column? Any ideas will sure help.

Tudor or Fordor?
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:42 PM   #19
supergnat

You probably have the concealed tank version if you have a Fordor. Here is the information I used to do my 28 Leatherback. Good luck, Supergnat
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Concealed Gas Tank Removal 1.pdf (6.12 MB, 36 views)
File Type: pdf Concealed Gas Tank Removal 2.pdf (8.00 MB, 22 views)
File Type: pdf Concealed Gas Tank Removal 3.pdf (6.23 MB, 25 views)
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:10 PM   #20
rotorwrench

This is an oldy. Don't hesitate to start a new thread.

The Fordors and Cabriolets were made by sub-contractors like Briggs and Murray. Some have wood framework under the tank and others have some metal as well. They really stuck those tanks around the filler opening using a special tar paper pad to keep it solid and leak free. They can be a real PITA to remove.

If you have a Tudor then it is just a matter of unbolting all the fasteners and Yes on removal of the steering column clamp. The tank should come out after disconnecting the dash panel, fuel lines, and choke/GAV rod assembly.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-21-2022 at 06:18 PM.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote