Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2020, 08:41 PM   #1
whirnot

Default CCPU interior.

I am restoring a 30 CCPU as a almost daily driver. Complete restoration, but not fine point.
I would like to put some insulation on the back of the cab, such as Fatmat or Dynamat. But it would of course need to be covered. Easy to do in kick panels, doors etc, but have no idea how to cover it in the back of the cab. Anyone seen one done, or have an idea how to do it?

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
GPierce

Default Re: CCPU interior.

I used Rattle Trap below the horizontal top support for the seat back. Left all above that open.
Also did under the seat, kick panels with Rattle Trap and fire wall insulation Synder’s and Brattons sell.
I also used a foil back insulation made from fire retarded rag under the rubber floor mat.
It kills the sound and insulates the floor. I just cut it to fit so I remove it and rubber floor mat to get the floor boards out.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:13 PM   #3
whirnot

Rattle trap is made by Fatmat. As I said I want to use it but need a way of covering it.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
Old 01-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
rotorwrench

I've installed a lot of different materials on surfaces that have no place for trim screws or clips. A person has to use contact cement. Trimmers do it all the time whether attaching vinyl, carpet, or what have you. The modern foam backed fabric will work too but the foam doesn't last all that well.

If you attach it to wood, you can use various wood screws with or without trim washers. It's going to be a custom install so do it however you want it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:17 AM   #5
GPierce

I’ve seen a CCPU with a headliner etc like a coupe. Wasn’t very attractive to me.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:38 PM   #6
lsr490

I just installed this last week from the belt line down. On the kick and door panels I cut the width just slightly wider than the opening. The floor laid nicely under the mat, surrounded the exposed edges with black Gorilla tape. On the back of cab the three wooden supports the support the seat back hold the insulation firmly in place.

We did a 100 mile ride on Sunday, huge improvement in sound and insulation.

If you've not attached the top yet I would place it between the batting and vinyl, I personally love the exposed chicken wire.

I'm not sure how I'm going to finish above the belt line yet, but as I already said huge improvement with what I've already done, and the price is great.

I try to upload some pictures tonight.

https://www.usenergyproducts.com/col...ore-insulation

Last edited by lsr490; 01-28-2020 at 01:39 PM. Reason: mention of pictures
lsr490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:58 PM   #7
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I've installed a lot of different materials on surfaces that have no place for trim screws or clips. A person has to use contact cement. Trimmers do it all the time whether attaching vinyl, carpet, or what have you. The modern foam backed fabric will work too but the foam doesn't last all that well.

If you attach it to wood, you can use various wood screws with or without trim washers. It's going to be a custom install so do it however you want it.
Yep, contact cement. That was the answer I was looking for. Spray adhesive doesn't works very well, but contact cement does. Not too forgiving.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
Old 01-29-2020, 06:23 AM   #8
lsr490

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Yep, contact cement. That was the answer I was looking for. Spray adhesive doesn't works very well, but contact cement does. Not too forgiving.
Don't be fooled by any contact cement, if you want it to last this is what the pros use.

https://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/...ontact-cement/
Old 01-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #9
rotorwrench

Yep, trimmers buy the big cans since they use it all the time. A lot of them dedicate a spray gun or two for it instead of using any of the aerosol products.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:20 PM   #10
lsr490

Here are the pictures I spoke of earlier. The firewall is an insulated ABS unit from one of the vendors and is black not silver, don't mind the LED glare.

Last edited by lsr490; 02-02-2020 at 08:29 PM. Reason: clarification
lsr490 is offline   Reply With Quote