Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
Ken Arms

Default electric fans

For a bunch of reasons I want to put an electric fan in my 34. Please don't judge me! My issue is room, I bought one from Cooling components but its too thick. What that means is the motor on fan sticks out far enough to hit my pully on alternator. This is a 59ab with a 12v conversion. the alternator sits at center like the original generator did. Has anyone on the barn made this change and if so what fan did you use? I have only 2 3/4 inches from radiator core to pulley. Thanks for any help. Ken

Last edited by Ken Arms; 11-23-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
325w

Default Re: electric fans

Which one of theirs did you buy.?
325w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #3
40cpe

I have a '38 which has the tall, narrow radiator like your '34. The shroud doesn't cover the entire core, so I placed it at the bottom for clearance. Mine is on an 8BA engine. I used the 16 series fan that requires 4" of clearance and put the motor in the area below the alternator. I really like the Cooling Component fan. It is quiet and it cools the engine in Mississippi summer heat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '38fan2.jpg (32.4 KB, 59 views)
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Ken....Not fully understanding the specifics to your build, did you realize that there is an alternator pully available that is drilled for a fan, just like used on the original '32-'38 Fords (plus '39 Standard)? The one I speak of is available at Speedway Motors.....link BELOW! DD

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Offen...ord,25025.html

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #5
Wafford48

Do you have room in front of the radiator to mount? I mounted my 48 in front of the rad to add additional flow to help the stock fan. Texas summer heat.
Wafford48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #6
Ken Arms

my cooling components is a 1650, I did notice they make a lower profile 1700 series that might work. the one I have would work if I lowered it but because im using a crab front distributor it makes everything too tight. Thanks so far guys. you got me thinkin!
Old 11-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #7
Ken Arms

v8 coopman... ya that's the pulley I'm using
Old 11-23-2020, 06:10 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Arms View Post
v8 coopman... ya that's the pulley I'm using
So, you've got my curiosity up.....WHY do you need an electric fan? I realize that you indicated that you have multiple reasons. Wanna share? DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-24-2020, 01:02 PM   #9
Ken Arms

DD, so I won a walker radiator at a nsra show, the radiator had no fan tunnel in the top tank for the fan to clear. I had a local shop make a tunnel. unfortunately it is a bit too narrow, the fan misses but its too close for comfort. on a 34 if you want your hood to fit well against the grill there is no front to rear adjustment to correct this. Also I have heard that these chevy alternators we tend to use with 12v conversions do not have a heavy enough bearing to swing Henrys steel fan for long without issues. I ran the car for its first summer with some shims under the front motor mounts that helped the clearance issue but now I'm hearing some faint noise at alt. With the shims in place my engine crank wont line up with crank pulley, not that I plan to crank start it but its nice to turn engine for valve adjusting ect. Ken
Old 11-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #10
Ken Arms

Im going to call Cooling Components today, looks like they have a narrow version that would work, fingers crossed they take this one back. Ken
Old 11-24-2020, 02:35 PM   #11
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Arms View Post
DD, so I won a walker radiator at a nsra show, the radiator had no fan tunnel in the top tank for the fan to clear. I had a local shop make a tunnel. unfortunately it is a bit too narrow, the fan misses but its too close for comfort. on a 34 if you want your hood to fit well against the grill there is no front to rear adjustment to correct this. Also I have heard that these chevy alternators we tend to use with 12v conversions do not have a heavy enough bearing to swing Henrys steel fan for long without issues. I ran the car for its first summer with some shims under the front motor mounts that helped the clearance issue but now I'm hearing some faint noise at alt. With the shims in place my engine crank wont line up with crank pulley, not that I plan to crank start it but its nice to turn engine for valve adjusting ect. Ken
Hey Ken....I appreciate that reply. I understand the situation, especially with the hood/grill/radiator adjustment window (or lack thereof). And yes, those GM alternator bearings are not made to handle that thrust load very well, but that is a relatively cheap bearing and reasonably simple to R&R on a fairly regular basis....just sayin'. I would buy a quality bearing, though. Hoping that Walker will come thru for ya on the radiator swap. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-25-2020, 02:47 PM   #12
Ken Arms

Ya, I like the walker because its pressurized.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #13
Ken Arms

So, just an update..I bought a Cooling Component 1750, its much more shallow and fits the 34 without issues. yay! tolerances are close at alternator pulley but it fits. They were nice enough to accept the 1650 back on return so 1750 is the way to go if you want an electric fan with a stock 34 running a 59ab. Ken