Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
JSRTUDOR

Default Frame rot 1956

So, I found the ever popular frame rot in the front crossmember of my 56 Ford Mainline. Does anyone make a replacement part either bolt on or weld in or am I going to have to fabricate something? Thanks again!
JSRTUDOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #2
56sedandelivery

Default Re: Frame rot 1956

Goodell used to make them. They pop up on ebay time to time.

tee-bird products shows that they have them.

Last edited by 56sedandelivery; 12-02-2020 at 04:32 PM.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:34 PM   #3
darrell

they are easy to fix.i just bought a 55 this one is the worst ive had but its still east to fix.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:36 PM   #4
Dobie Gillis

Goodell passed on last year. There's one on eBay right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-F...-/154003782742
Old 12-02-2020, 07:31 PM   #5
JSRTUDOR

Just bought it Dobie.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:55 PM   #6
Dobie Gillis

Cool beans!
Old 12-03-2020, 08:17 AM   #7
KULTULZ

Question Re: Frame rot 1956

What seems to cause the rot on the front cross-member, lack of proper drainage and/or an opening allowing trash to build-up?
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:21 PM   #8
scicala

The originals had that stamped steel guard welded to the front of it. I think that's the reason for trapping dirt and moisture. The replacements don't have that, so probably will never rot.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #9
Ole Don

Getting hold of a new one; sounds like a business opportunity. Measure it, photo it from all angles. Save the info if you are not a welder.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:58 PM   #10
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
The originals had that stamped steel guard welded to the front of it. I think that's the reason for trapping dirt and moisture. The replacements don't have that, so probably will never rot. Sal
Actually, the "guard" kinda wraps around the top and a portion of the back and is spot welded to the main structure in a few places. The main purpose of that "guard" is that it incorporates the mounting tab for the front engine steady-rest in the back and it also has a series of guide tabs for the radiator bottom rubber pad at the top of the "guard".
So that "guard" serves four functions: A) the front "V" shaped surface is designed to deflect wind and rain at the middle of the crossmember, B) includes mounting provision for the front engine steady-rest, C) includes guide tabs to center the radiator bottom rubber pad. D) Provides for insertion of the bottom front suspension arm pins.
People who are getting new ones without that "guard" will have to scrap their front engine steady rest, unless they burn the one off the old crossmember, sandblast it and install it on the new crossmember, so they can keep their front engine steady-rest.
What causes the rust? Driving in the rain, especially behind other traffic causes rain water and puddles being thrown back onto the front crossmember, which enters small gaps along the sides and top. The water runs down inside the metal structure and causes the crossmember to rust from inside out. The factory did not provide any protection for the metal inside the closed structure. The frames were not painted until the frames were completely assembled. Same for the frame side rail channels welded together. That's all bare metal inside there, subject to the elements. AND, the crossmember is relatively thin stamped steel.
The factory crossmember has one small hole in the middle of the bottom of the crossmember for water drainage. It is in-adequate, but could be easily remedied with a drill.
If I were to get a new crossmember, I wouldn't accept it unless it was fabricated of minimum 1/8 inch thick steel plate, hot-dip-galvanized, dunked in marine-primer, then dunked in durable gloss black enamel. Only the weld edges at the ends would be masked off along the outer surface so you wouldn't need to remove paint for welding to the car frame. The bottom of the crossmember needs to slant downward toward the back like the original did so that the original "guard" could be installed on the new crossmember without modification. I have seen some non-factory repro's that do not duplicate this important drainage feature. If it didn't have at least three 1/4" diameter holes in the bottom for drainage, I would do that myself.
Even a thin, stamped metal crossmember would probably last two lifetimes if they were A) primered and painted on the inside and B) had adequate water and condensation drainage at the bottom.
The original crossmember on my '55 Fairlane has punched-out slots in the top plate, one on each side of the top of the guard which are wide enough to allow water straight down into the interior of the crossmember. After my frame was sandblasted and painted decades ago, I grabbed a glob of "Duxseal" and smashed globs into those slots to prevent water from entering the interior of the crossmember. Bad idea having those slots there. My '55 Courier has that same factory crossmember, but it does NOT have those slots
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:57 AM   #11
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Frame rot 1956

OK, I see it now. OEM was a heavy sheet metal stamping instead of plate -

Here is an interesting referring URL - https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...4-ford.802384/

Didn't fool around much earlier than 1957.

THANX!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frame - 1954 FORD B4A 5019A Perforated.JPG (45.3 KB, 85 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:03 PM   #12
Brian54

The latest issue of Fomoco Times has an add from Goodell Fabrications stating that they have 54-56 replacement front crossmembers . Apparently , they are back in business . (918)636-7071
Brian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:34 AM   #13
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Don View Post
Getting hold of a new one; sounds like a business opportunity. Measure it, photo it from all angles. Save the info if you are not a welder.
Here you go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55-56 crossmember 001.jpg (41.9 KB, 57 views)
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:48 AM   #14
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian54 View Post
The latest issue of Fomoco Times has an add from Goodell Fabrications stating that they have 54-56 replacement front crossmembers . Apparently , they are back in business . (918)636-7071
Did you try calling them ? https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/na...?pid=191806011
Old 12-05-2020, 08:24 PM   #15
JSRTUDOR

Thanks everyone, I got an aftermarket one on E-bay. Now the fun part of installation begins!
Old 12-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #16
56sedandelivery

Since the lower control arms are hung there I would find someone who knows what they are doing.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:23 AM   #17
49coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56sedandelivery View Post
Since the lower control arms are hung there I would find someone who knows what they are doing.
I would send that. Where I live, you would have a really hard time registering the car with a patched frame. I.e. won't happen.
49coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:16 PM   #18
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49coupe View Post
I would send that. Where I live, you would have a really hard time registering the car with a patched frame. I.e. won't happen.
It sounds like it's being properly and completely replaced. Not patched.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:26 PM   #19
JeffB2

This might be another option if you watched this https://www.directv.com/tv/Full-Cust...56cStVTlg5QT09 They put a Ranger front clip on a '47 Ford,the track width on a 1952-56 Ford car is 58" track width on a 1998-2011 Ford Ranger is 58.6" Here is a multi episode build posted on youtube in more detail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-3UGCPlTOo
Old 02-22-2021, 07:10 PM   #20
the human wrench

I have always thought the primary reason for the angled "guard" would be to deflect the frame up and over something instead of just ramming into it.