Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2018, 11:02 PM   #21
Jwawhite

Default Re: Crab Walking or is it Dog Walking

d, this blurred photo is a microcosm that is emblematic of this entire vehicle. Your eyes are correct, it is a compression fitting, main line to the rear brakes. It's on the to do list, a bit higher than other items.
I think the modification invoice from Spicer may point to a Mustang, SB (small body?), would tie in with 302 wiring harness, 94 with standard trans. As per Ford PN on ecm.
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:42 AM   #22
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Crab Walking or is it Dog Walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman080 View Post

Call your local adjuster at your insurance company CLAIMS office or center. They can refer you to a claims estimator. He can refer you to a competent shop who can assist you. Make certain he understands that the repair results will in no way be his responsibility in ANY way.

Don't rely on a friend or acquaintance to find a good frame shop. The average customer thinks the car is great if it is delivered with a nice shine. All advice given from a auto body repairman's perspective. Best of luck!

Now there is sound advice...

THANX! for the post and information.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:54 AM   #23
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Crab Walking or is it Dog Walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwawhite View Post

d, this blurred photo is a microcosm that is emblematic of this entire vehicle.

Your eyes are correct, it is a compression fitting, main line to the rear brakes. It's on the to do list, a bit higher than other items.

I think the modification invoice from Spicer may point to a Mustang, SB (small body?), would tie in with 302 wiring harness, 94 with standard trans.

As per Ford PN on ecm.

It appears the housing modification(s) were done professionally. Pinion angle would concern me.

The brake line fitting is indicative of many build shortcuts/mistakes on the vehicle. Not a death knell as all can be corrected.
It is still a damn nice car ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 06-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #24
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwawhite View Post
. . .
I think the modification invoice from Spicer may point to a Mustang, SB (small body?) . .
That seems like a safe assumption.
On the invoice in the Axles column is the notation "Must-M", and in the Housing column the End Type is listed as "Mustang / SB" (small block???)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
It appears the housing modification(s) were done professionally. ....
"Currie Enterprises" is printed across the bottom of the invoice. IIRC that's one of the bigger names in the business

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-30-2018 at 03:52 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:11 PM   #25
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Crab Walking or is it Dog Walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

"Currie Enterprises" is printed across the bottom of the invoice. IIRC that's one of the bigger names in the business

I DID NOT SEE THAT!

Currie is about as good as it gets...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-28-2018, 06:19 PM   #26
KULTULZ

Cool Re: Crab Walking or is it Dog Walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

In photo #4 that looks like a low-pressure compression fitting, the same type used to hook up the water line to the ice maker in your kitchen fridge, not for brake lines.

The image is a bit fuzzy, hope I'm wrong.

Well, you are not exactly wrong. That is a very common service repair where a section of line may be damaged and a repair line inserted rather than re-plumbing the entire circuit (in this instance to connect the original rear line to the updated rear assy).

What it (splice) shows me is a lack of detail where the modifier took a short cut.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-30-2018, 01:33 PM   #27
Dave Covey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Well, you are not exactly wrong. That is a very common service repair where a section of line may be damaged and a repair line inserted rather than re-plumbing the entire circuit (in this instance to connect the original rear line to the updated rear assy).

What it (splice) shows me is a lack of detail where the modifier took a short cut.

What it shows me is someone making an incorrect repair.. Should have been a double flare on both ends of the splice and a flare union connecting them. All hard lines on a braking system use a double flare, at least in the early years.
As someone else noted. Compression fittings are for ice makers..lol

Sure would hate to get in a panic stop situation with that.

Dave
Dave Covey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #28
KULTULZ

Red face Re: Crab Walking or is it Dog Walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Covey View Post

What it shows me is someone making an incorrect repair.. Should have been a double flare on both ends of the splice and a flare union connecting them.

Dave
...hmm... (putting away magnifying glass)

You guys are correct. Short eye balls here ...

That needs to be corrected right away...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 09-04-2020, 06:28 PM   #29
greenpondmike

If I may chime in, my advice is to have it looked over real good and if no solution is found just drive it and enjoy it. Never had or seen another vehicle do this but fords and it is common especially on fords from the 70s. I think that the front wheels stick out more than the rear and it gives the illusion that it's crabwalking when its not. If someone could see the other side from behind while going down the road it might look the same way. Even seen a 67-72 ford truck and a 79 ford van do this, so its not limited just to cars. I heard novas sometimes do this, but when they do there is something wrong. I researched this years ago because my mother in law's van did this and so did a friend's car and I've seen several going down the road like this.
Edit: I've never seen a unitbody ford do this

Last edited by greenpondmike; 09-04-2020 at 06:37 PM.
greenpondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:02 PM   #30
Daves55Sedan

To check frame squareness:
1) make (4) bulls-eyes (crosshair lines) with fine pen on white pieces of paper. Sweep garage floor super clean under 4 corners of car frame. Get some very sticky masking tape ready to use on site.
2) Drop a plumb bob down at the very corner of the frame and slide one of your "bulls-eyes" to align with the pointer on the plumb bob. Tape the "bulls-eye down to the concrete floor after the pointer settles. Now repeat procedure for the other 3 corners of frame.
3) Carefully push or drive your car out of the garage without damaging paper "bulls-eyes". move the car completely clear.
4) Get a minimum 12 ft tape measure and measure DIAGONALLY between left front bulls-eye and right rear bulls-eye. Record this measurement on a sketch on a piece of paper. Now swap sides and measure from right front bulls-eye to left rear bulls-eye and record this measurement.
5) If first measurement is different from the second measurement, the frame is somewhat parallelogramed from a corner collision.

When I measured my '55 Courier wagon frame this way, the right front to left rear diagonal measurement was 1/4" shorter than the opposite diagonal measurement. that is probably within factory tolerances. Main thing is, the engine mounted perfectly square on the motor mounts, so it can't be too bad.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:07 PM   #31
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Covey View Post
Actually that compression splice fitting is as good as or better than the metal tubing itself as far as holding p.s.i.
However, I would certainly have replaced all that rotten old brake line when doing the rear end change. Its not that hard to do. Standard metal tubing and fittings can be purchased at any local chain auto parts store.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:11 PM   #32
Daves55Sedan

Tell ya what, jwa. If the frame does turn out to be square, either your rear axle housing is bent or possibly one side of the rear axle is actually not engaged in the dogs provided at the spring perch (at the center of the leaf spring).
That would be fairly easy to check by looking at both sides and seeing if one side looks like it is about 1/4" higher off the leaf spring than the other side.