Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #1
Jwawhite

Default Steering Box

Okay, I shouldn't be doing this but...there was a lot of play in my steering wheel.

It was similar to worn out king pins, the car travels a bit this way then more input to turn the other way while traveling down a straight road.

I've incrementally adj the screw under the lock nut 4xs and have come almost 360 degrees in travel.

I've noticed the steering wheel tighten up a bit but there is still a fair bit of play...with less steering inputs.

I know I should disconnect the Pitman Arm to ascertain if there is binding in the box but at this time the wheel almost travels to center after a turn with hands off. Car has power steering.

Question why hasn't the play disappeared? Was the adj screw that far off that more adj is necessary?

The steering Assy is in good condition, replaced about 4? Years ago.

Is the box that worn out?

Last edited by Jwawhite; 04-24-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:33 PM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: Steering Box

Play on center means the worm gear is worn down. The gear is designed so that it's tighter on center than in turns if everything is up to snuff. You might be able to tighten it a bit more but if it binds on turns back the screw off until it doesn't. The real solution is to rebuild the box.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #3
miker98038

Could very well be a worn box. But my bird, with a rebuilt 57 3 sector box, and all components new, still had a dead spot with some wander on center. The design of the power ram contributes to this. It's an "on demand" system (so it was explained to me) and kind of the way it is.

Along with other front end wear, tires (particularly bias plies) can play into it.

The only way you'll know for sure is to drop the link and follow the factory manual to set the box, and check clearances.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:14 PM   #4
50fordcoupeman

If the steering box is similar to the '50(which I don't know if it is) the play is taken out by jacking the front tires off the ground and loosening the plate (4 bolts) on the bottom of the steering box and rotating it a very small amount and retightening. It is a trial and error method until the play is gone. Worked on my '50.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:44 PM   #5
Dobie Gillis

"Could very well be a worn box. But my bird, with a rebuilt 57 3 sector box, and all components new, still had a dead spot with some wander on center. The design of the power ram contributes to this. It's an "on demand" system (so it was explained to me) and kind of the way it is."

Early power steering was essentially a manual set up with a hydraulic assist superimposed on it. They are subject to the same quirks as pure manual systems, plus they were overboosted which just exacerbated the situation.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:00 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Post Re: Steering Box

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
I know I should disconnect the Pitman Arm to ascertain if there is binding in the box but at this time the wheel almost travels to center after a turn with hands off. Car has power steering.
You are playing a dangerous game. The steering box could lock-up on you in the middle of an intersection.

Adjust it to correct specs and if the slop continues, it will most likely be a worn steering component and/or alignment.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote