Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
slobroy

Default PANIC Stop Causes Engine Miss

Ok this is a new one on me. 92 f150 inline 6 w/auto/overdrive. Owner had to do a panic stop when a car pulled out in front of him. Thats when the truck started to run bad. real bad. He brought it to me because I had worked on it before. I replaced a fuel tank and fuel pump about a year ago with no problems until now. Oh and get this the light for the overdrive on the shift lever flashes on and off constantly when it starts missing after the panic stop. I vehicle is left alone for a few hours it "resets" itself and runs fine. I replaced the plugs because they had carbon buildup on then and even took the solenoid from the egr system off to look for carbon buildup but it was clean as a whistle. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Oh this is an obd 1 system and the Ford dealers around here can't work on anything that old.
slobroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
Dave72dt

Default Re: PANIC Stop Causes Engine Miss

There was a recall several years ago that dealt with some wires in the column and I think involved the OD. Something like fire hazard was mentioned.
Dave72dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
slobroy

Thanks Dave I'll pass this along.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
Dave72dt

Did some research, was the cruise control they were concerned about with wires maybe shorting but the OD is in the same harness I believe. Something else to check might be the fuel pump cutoff switch. Even a curb bump may be enough to partially activate one.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
slobroy

If the fuel pump switch is activated isn't it either on or off and no in between?
Old 11-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Dave72dt

Yeah, they're supposed to be. Doesn't mean it always happens. They're triggered by inertia which is why I suggested it. Doesn't take long to check.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Ole Don

In a panic stop, maybe the engine and trans move a little. Check the motor mounts. I think the recall was for the switch on the master cylinder that deactvates the cruise. Many of the replacemenets were also bad.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
LOWRIDER

Some questions. Does the amount of fuel in the tank have any bearing on when it starts missing? Maybe the fuel is rushing away from the pick-up & starts to draw air. Does it have dual tanks & does it matter what tanks its on? As far as checking obd1, I can tell you how to draw codes w/a jumper wire. Under the hood at the L hood hinge area is where the obd connector is. There usually in a protective cap. One is a single wire (STI) the other has 5 or 6 wires in it.
1. Warm the engine up a bit then shut it off.
2. Take a jumper wire, connect one end to the single wire connector.
3. Looking at the 5 of 6 wire connector face you'll see 4 wire slots that look like this - --- (forget these). Above that the connector is angled on each end w/2 wire slots. Connect the other end of the jumper wire to the SHORT angle side (STO).
4. Get in the cab, turn the key to ON and watch for the ck engine light to flash. Count the flashes. Should be 3 digit sys. Example. 2 flashes, pause,
3 flashes, pause, 4 flashes pause. Code 234 EGR sys. If ther are more codes than 1 it will then flash the next code.
5. After this set of codes you will get 1 flash w/a long pause. It will then flash more 3 digit codes. Write these down also. It will repeat the whole process twice.
6. One last thing. Don't disconnect the jumper wire w/the key on. That will erase the memory codes. The memory codes are the ones after the 1 flash and the long pause. As long as you don't disconnect the jumper wire with the key on it will keep flashing the code sequence. Just turn the key off a few seconds, then back on and the process will start again.
A little wordy, but that is as simple as it gets. If you decide to try this, post the codes here before you start buying parts. I can tell you which to ignore regarding the problem.
LOWRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
Frank The Plumber

Isn't there a complex float in the fuel tank on these? I had a Ford F 150 that some dog stole gas out of, he bumped around in my tank with the hose, I had to have the tank dropped and the pickup and sensors rebuilt in the tank.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
slobroy

Lowrider,, it has a half tank of gas,duel tanks but only run off first tank (owner thing). I'm gonna check for any codes and i'll get back to ya.

Frank, This has fuel injection and I know the tank has an in tank reservoir so fuel doesn't get sloshed around. I replaced the tank and fuel pump about a year ago.

I'm hoping to get more info once I get codes.
Thank-you to all