Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2021, 11:14 PM   #21
petehoovie

Default Re: Covid excuse to play hookey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Sorry about that out of focus second photo. Not sure if there's a pic of this rig with the front clip on. I now also have the front factory bumper attached. It has not had the bed and front clip on at the same time so hopefully this weekend that will happen. In my pencil sketch you see a tubular bar with a 90 degree bend at the seat. I have some old hand-rail sections from a church remodel I did in Seattle about ten years ago. They should fit the bill. Another reason to never throw anything away.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:53 PM   #22
GB SISSON

Well, the front clip is still off because I continue to fine tune the engine and engine bay, but that doesn't mean I can't continue to improve the rest of the vehicle. A fellow Washington barner had the tailgate I needed and though his health is an issue right now, he reached out with a really friendly price on a tailgate he wasn't going to use. He lives on the Wa. mainland, as most Washingtonians, do and my wife and I are finally vaccinated and were going off the island for our anniversary. We had an extremely memorable visit with a fellow barner along with driving in the rain in his model A. My entire adult life has been punctuated with the amazing side trips that happen only because I am a lover of old fords and antiquities in general. A trip to the mainland that involved just saving $ at costco, a doctor visit and new glasses would be soooo boring if we did not also visit with a fellow enthusiast. My hat is off to the great folks who love our old fords and continue to house, feed and love them!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT 1.JPG (176.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg PT 2.JPG (143.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg PT 3.JPG (156.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg PT 4.JPG (127.6 KB, 47 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:01 PM   #23
PeteVS

The tailgate looks so nicely done. So, will you A: Bring the rest of the truck up to a matching level, or. B: Beat the tailgate down a stage or two, or. C:Not worry about it?
Old 04-09-2021, 04:28 PM   #24
Graeme / New Zealand

Love it GB! The pencil sketch looks like something our boys used in the Western Desert during WWII.

Graeme.

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:18 PM   #25
GB SISSON

It's Saturday and not raining so I played with the faded blue paint on the front clip, well what I mean is I started painting on the bed to match thje faded blue front clip... I really wanted to install the front clip today, but I find I need to fix an intake manifold leak and that is sooooooo much easier with all the front sheet metal off. The gasket should be here on Wednesday and it's like 65 degrees all week, so next weekend should be all good. This afternoon I drove it up some very steep inclines, maybe a video of such tomorrow. The tailgate will be a convincing faded blue to match the front clip. If I could be so bold as to make up a story about this build it would be an ex military rig sold after ww2 as surplus and used on a ranch. Of course the new owner painted over the OD paint with some blue he had. In my younger years I had occasion to drive various surplus willys jeeps. None of them retained their OD paint. On one jobsite it was brush painted gray, the other yellow.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 04-11-2021, 11:39 PM   #26
GB SISSON

Playing with the blue....And yes I agree it looks like it's been through a war. From what I've read it was a helluva war.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fordcruiser fender blue.JPG (109.7 KB, 37 views)
Old 04-12-2021, 01:35 AM   #27
Tinker

I like blue. I like the muted dark front end blue better. A lite grey is classic work truck. Paint it coral pink, I bet no one will forget it for 50 miles around. haha

Last edited by Tinker; 04-12-2021 at 01:45 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:04 AM   #28
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
I like blue. I like the muted dark front end blue better. A lite grey is classic work truck. Paint it coral pink, I bet no one will forget it for 50 miles around. haha
I have always liked grey trucks too, but I don't think it goes well with the tacoma cream trim. The blue paint on that fender is from the batch I mixed up and painted the grille/headlight panel with in the second pic down on this page. It is primarily Ace Hardware horizon blue, their flat grey primer and some rustoleum flat white. It also got a splash of hunter green and flat black and of course a fistful of baking powder. I have lots of partial quart cans of paint stacked up on shelves.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:59 AM   #29
PeteVS

Quote:
and of course a fistful of baking powder.
Is this for flattering? Baking POWDER or baking SODA?
Old 04-14-2021, 10:24 PM   #30
GB SISSON

Baking powder for flattening, baking soda for flatulence. I learned many years ago that baking powder makes a good flattening agent. I have since seen mention that the paste we stir up on flat oil based paint is talc, so I'm thinking gold bond or baby powder would do the trick as well. Also, today I found the blue paint can from Ace Hardware that I started my current mix with and it's not horizon blue, it's their tractor and implement enamel and color is 'International Blue'. It is considerably darker than horizon blue.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:32 AM   #31
PeteVS

Quote:
Baking powder for flattening, baking soda for flatulence. I learned many years ago that baking powder makes a good flattening agent. I have since seen mention that the paste we stir up on flat oil based paint is talc, so I'm thinking gold bond or baby powder would do the trick as well. Also, today I found the blue paint can from Ace Hardware that I started my current mix with and it's not horizon blue, it's their tractor and implement enamel and color is 'International Blue'. It is considerably darker than horizon blue.
Thanks! I once asked an auto paint shop if they had a "flattening agent." They said they didn't have it but it was "very expensive."
Old 04-15-2021, 10:31 PM   #32
GB SISSON

A friend told me about a company called 'hotrod flats' or flatz... I just never paint a vehicle with one can or one tone of paint. The horizontal parts like the roof and hood are always more weathered than the doors except where your arm hangs out, or the crowns of the fenders where you lay on them to work on the engine and that's sort of shiny. You just have to get creative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rav 2.JPG (167.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg rav 3.JPG (165.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg rav 5 good.JPG (174.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 04-20-2021, 09:35 PM   #33
GB SISSON

Not so much of a fan of all the orange parts involved, so I busted out some gray primer and a brush this afternoon. Also a makeshift spare tire location and continue to work on the 'cab' ok, passenger/driver area. It now has a tool storage area behind the seat, and more subtle changes. It takes every bit of moral strength I can find in my fiber to work on the bathroom remodel parts and clothing store display shelves I need to complete by week's end instead of going out into this remarkable spring sunshine and working instead on this creation blending my Family car with my love for old fords. Anyone here in the Pacific NW knows how incredibly rare this long run of summer weather is in April......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg getting grey primer 1.JPG (119.2 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg getting gray primer 2.JPG (142.0 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg gray primer 3.JPG (138.4 KB, 236 views)
Old 04-20-2021, 10:23 PM   #34
tubman

My advice is to keep on going at it. Here in North Central Minnesota, we've had snow 6 of the last 10 days and it didn't get above freezing until 2 PM today.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:06 PM   #35
cas3

Back when I had a TV, that Ricks restorations guy used corn starch to flatten paint. Years ago I bought a can of the real stuff at the paint store, then next time I asked they said no such thing! well, corn starch or baking powder sounds good to me !

Last edited by cas3; 04-20-2021 at 11:07 PM. Reason: change
cas3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:11 AM   #36
petehoovie

Quote:
Not so much of a fan of all the orange parts involved, so I busted out some gray primer and a brush this afternoon. Also a makeshift spare tire location and continue to work on the 'cab' ok, passenger/driver area. It now has a tool storage area behind the seat, and more subtle changes. It takes every bit of moral strength I can find in my fiber to work on the bathroom remodel parts and clothing store display shelves I need to complete by week's end instead of going out into this remarkable spring sunshine and working instead on this creation blending my Family car with my love for old fords. Anyone here in the Pacific NW knows how incredibly rare this long run of summer weather is in April......

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 04-21-2021 at 01:17 AM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:50 AM   #37
PeteVS

Quote:
It takes every bit of moral strength I can find in my fiber to work on the bathroom remodel parts and clothing store display shelves I need to complete by week's end instead of going out into this remarkable spring sunshine and working instead on this creation blending my Family car with my love for old fords. Anyone here in the Pacific NW knows how incredibly rare this long run of summer weather is in April......
I hope your paying customers aren't reading FordBarn...
Old 04-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #38
GB SISSON

My customers read the New Yorker. This toyota bumper is something I want to keep from my old station wagon. The right hand 'bumberette' was missing so I fabbed one from a piece of light 4x4 angle. last week. Then today I installed a model A duo lamp for a brake light and worked up a rear view mirror. Then went for a couple mile tour around the East end of the island. I'm thinking I will get a license plate before I head into town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bumper 1.JPG (124.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Bumper 4.JPG (126.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg bumper 8.JPG (167.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg shakedown 1.JPG (155.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg shakedown 2.JPG (112.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg shakedown 3.JPG (119.2 KB, 292 views)
Old 04-25-2021, 08:55 PM   #39
PeteVS

Chipper's goggles? I think I need a pair!
Old 04-25-2021, 08:59 PM   #40
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
Chipper's goggles? I think I need a pair!
Unscrewed the caps and pulled the dark green lenses. Could see pretty well after that.