Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2021, 03:29 PM   #1
alexiskai

Default Water pump "studs"

As most of you probably know, vendors have recently started selling a set of bolts for the water pump. These replace the original stud + nut joint. The sales pitch is that, with the original studs, removing the water pump requires it to be pulled forward to clear the studs, which you can't do without loosening/removing the radiator. With the bolts, you can remove the bolts and then pull the water pump assembly to the side. The bolts sold by Mike's, Mac's, Bratton's, and Bert's look like this:
A8505KB-600x800.jpg

However, Snyder's and CW Moss have now started selling bolts that have been machined to resemble studs:
A_8501_MBM.jpg

What's funny to me is that there's no way these could pass for the original studs to the trained eye, because like all the original studs, the water pump studs aren't plated:
A_8501_MB.jpg

I suppose you could paint the tip of the fake studs with muriatic acid and strip the plating, but c'mon, no one is going to do that. What does concern me is that people will end up pulling a delayed prank on the next owner of the car, who may not know that these aren't really studs and so will end up loosening the radiator anyway. My advice: buy a bolt that looks like a bolt, or stick with the original studs.

My other advice is that if you have a four-blade fan, you probably will have to loosen the radiator anyway. The pump assembly still has to be pulled forward as you go sideways so that the impeller can clear the head, and if you have the 4-blade fan it'll hit the radiator before the impeller gets clear. Also remember that the torque value for the bolts is different from the torque used for the nuts, because you're going to a coarse thread and plated rather than plain.

Last edited by alexiskai; 02-23-2021 at 03:35 PM.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote