Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-03-2016, 06:52 AM   #41
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: advice/opinions '34 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by svm99 View Post
I just saw the picture of your 4 door w/o fenders. Did you race this car at Irwindale in the mid 70's at the Antique National drags? If not there was one there which looked just like it.
Paul J.
Yes Paul, that was me . . . first time at the drags, brought my new pride and joy out there. The whole family came along to support my "newbie" efforts - along with my mentor 'Joe Reath'. The good news, somehow managed to get 1st place in whatever class they had me in - if I remember, a 15.2 or so (not exactly fast!). Were you racing at the time?

34FirstYearAntiqueNates5.jpg

34FirstYearAntiqueNates6.jpg

Hays003.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

Sorry about hijacking the thread - but at least it is another 4 door!

D
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:20 AM   #42

Here's an update on my progress;
I finally got the xmember in its correct position. It had been welded in 10 places, (5 on each side), and it was quite a challenge to free it up without damaging the frame or the xmember. They had welded the 3 holes on the top channel and the 2 ears on the bottom, (on each side). At one point I thought I would have to sacrifice the xmember and cut it out in pieces then try to find another one. Drilling out the weld in the holes was fairly easy but a lot of the weld had oozed btween the frame and the xmember. There wasn't enough room to use the cut-off disc without cutting into the frame or xmember so I had to use hack saw blades, (and lots of elbow grease). It was a painstaking task and very time consuming but it's done! Can't wait to see how she looks with the rear wheels where they're supposed to be!
Here's what I used; grinder, punch, drill, chisel, and hack saw blades.(Old-school stuff but effective).
I'll send some pictures soon.
Doug.
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-20-2016, 02:40 PM   #43
Mike in AZ

wow, definitely some hard work there....congrats on hanging in and getting it done....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote