Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #1
Karl Wolf

Default Engine stand

So I spent some of the afternoon making an improoved (by my standards) engine assembly stand....
And then I spot an add for a four-caster heavy duty, presumably, Henry engine stand, $150...
Is this in the ball park, in terms of price?
Thanks for your indulgence, and perhaps a coment... I know I grimace when I see this sort of thing appear... Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: Engine stand

Karl, this is Bruce in southern Ohio, could I see photo's of your stand, I want to make a engine run stand, need advice, thanks Bruce
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
36tbird

Default Re: Engine stand

It was kinda labor intensive, but I built a "flathead rotisserie" for assembling my f/h's. Hardest part of the jog was taking 1/4" X 3" by 2' flat stock and drilling the pieces to bolt on the exhaust ports. Then, because I wanted the option of porting and polishing the exhaust ports, I hole sawed out the port holes. Finding a center of balance aligned on both sides with a 45 degree angle cut tube was the next challenge. Once all of that is done, it was just a matter of building a stand to support this mess. With this set up, I can position a block any way I want and it is especially helpful in trying to stand one on its nose to clean out all of the crud from the water passages. The crud can exit out the water pump holes.

I've heard of guys who are smarter than me, buying two of the flathead exhaust support stands for your standard Harbor Freight engine stand and then joining the two engine stands to achieve the same sort of stand I have made. I have two HF stands, so I may do this myself.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote