Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Ross/Kzoo

Default Fuel line ferrule

I changed carbs and I loosened the fitting on the fuel sediment bulb ('29). When I tightened it back up it didn't seal. It seems that the ferrule is not the normal ferrule, is that right? If not, can it be sourced locally? Thanks.

Last edited by Ross/Kzoo; 03-17-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Fuel line ferrule

Ross, if it's the ferrule that comes "attached" to the nut, maybe it wasn't tightened enough to pop loose from the nut & "squeeze" tightly on the line. Rub Vaseline on the ferrulle & nut & tighten VERY firmly. It has to squeeze on the line like a wedding ring on a fat man's finger. Bill W. ( You can buy ferrules at most any hardware store or auto parts)
Old 03-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Ross/Kzoo

Bill, that ferrule is no longer here on this earth. Any ideas where I could get one?
Old 03-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Joe K

Isn't this just a standard 3/16" ferrule? I think you can get the compression nut too at the parts drawers at the Orange place.

The parts houses have both the nut with the attached ferrule (it snaps off when you tighten) AND a "31 only" version which has the ferrule loose.

The snap off version seem to be a "one use only" sort of thing. You might try some permatex gookum pucky (technical term) on this as you tighten.

Joe K
Old 03-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
Ross/Kzoo

I believe it's 1/4" OD tubing and 9/16" threaded male end.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
Isn't this just a standard 3/16" ferrule? I think you can get the compression nut too at the parts drawers at the Orange place.

The parts houses have both the nut with the attached ferrule (it snaps off when you tighten) AND a "31 only" version which has the ferrule loose.

The snap off version seem to be a "one use only" sort of thing. You might try some permatex gookum pucky (technical term) on this as you tighten.

Joe K
The snap off type is re-usable, Joe, if it's squeezed properly. It's just a different "take off" on the old system, so you don't lose the dang little ferrules+*@%^$^

Ross, be sure to buy 6 extra ferrules in case you lose one. They're 1/4" Bill W.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
42merc

1/4" ferrules are available at the hardware store in the plumbing department, cheap.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42merc View Post
1/4" ferrules are available at the hardware store in the plumbing department, cheap.
I agree but the fitting doesn't have the same taper where the ferrule seats in it and I couldn't find a fitting that would accept a normal tapered ferrule.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross/Kzoo View Post
I agree but the fitting doesn't have the same taper where the ferrule seats in it and I couldn't find a fitting that would accept a normal tapered ferrule.
Sounds like your fitting was some assinine design. Seems the hardware should have one that fits. It's surely a standard size/type of nut. Don't remember the specs on the nut offhand. Bill W. (Ross, clerk must be a rookie, need one that has real knowledge, it ain't rocket science, it's regular old standard fittings)
Old 03-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
Ross/Kzoo

I'm thinking that the brass fitting that I have had the ferrule attached and I thought that it was jammed. I muscled that ferrule off and tried using a normal ferrule. I think I'll need to find a new brass fitting that uses 9/16" fitting for 1/4" OD tubing. Thanks for the info because I didn't know that there was a fitting with the ferrule attached.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
Purdy Swoft

I've never had anything but problems with the fitting with the ferrule attached. When the fitting is tightened, the ferrule is suppose to attach itself to the fuel line tightly and remain in place. In other words, after the fitting is properly tightened, the ferrule should remain part of the fuel line and not slide off. If it will move after tightening, it will leak. Both ends of the fuel line use the same ferrule. Remove the fuel line and take it with you to the hardware or parts house so that they can see what you need. this will be your easiest bet. When you get the new ferrule, I would use a tubing cutter and cut a small piece of the fuel line off where the old ferrule fit, as it may be damaged. Be carefull when you install the new ferrule , it needs to be close to the end of the fuel line with a small amount of fuel line protruding past the ferrule or it can interere or cut off flow to the carb. Good luck, its a pain but not that difficult after you get the hang of it.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
ken ct
BANNED

The ferrels wont work,i believe you need a "FORD FITTING" 1/2x20 and have the proper taper to seal the ferrel. I never had any luck with the attached ferrel,would never break off. I have them if you need. PM me. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross/Kzoo View Post
I'm thinking that the brass fitting that I have had the ferrule attached and I thought that it was jammed. I muscled that ferrule off and tried using a normal ferrule. I think I'll need to find a new brass fitting that uses 9/16" fitting for 1/4" OD tubing. Thanks for the info because I didn't know that there was a fitting with the ferrule attached.
I think you're headed in the right direction. Just be sure that the tubing once you've removed the ferrule, is ABSOLUTELY straight - or you can put the new ferrule on a straight portion. If the tube seems at all crimped or reduced in diameter from the removed ferrule, then pick somewhere else. Also heed Purdy's warning about how much you leave proud of the ferrule.

And yea, the thread for the ferrule is 1/2-20 but I don't think it's anything Ford special. And like you I didn't like the thought of the ferrule attached to the compression nut. Although mine seems to work - so far.

Or you can do the shadetree dodge and wrap the tube with string and use the compression nut to compress the string and make a seal.

But not recommended...

Joe K
Old 03-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
jj1928

they seem to come on the 1/2 inch fitting. if your are not showing it I have been able to get the two piece fitting by getting the 9/16 fitting (nut size)
jj1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
ken ct
BANNED

The fitting is special,thats why they call it a "FORD" nut it fits 1/4" od line and comes with a separate ferrel,i have them in stock if thats what you need. ken ct. The fitting is male threaded 1/2x20 to fit in a ford V8 carb,dont know if thats the size in a model"A" carb.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

The nut does NOT have a pronounced taper to accept the ferrule. Just a smooth ridge to push against the ferrule, as the "sealing" is accomplished where the ferrule seats in the sediment bowl/carb. If you ever have a rough seat in the sediment bowl/carb, take a piece of old tubing with a ferrule attached, dab valve grinding on the ferrule, stick it in and turn it back & forth to smooth the seat, like: 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 106----------You know what I mean!
Someone stated awhile back that on the attached type fitting, he stuck a 1/4" drill bit shank in the ferrule, snapped it off & installed it in the usual manner. Vaseline's good for more than one thing!! puttin' some on the ferrule helps it "squuuueze" to the tube easier. When you're first puttin' a new ferrule, tighten until it "feels" tight, then use a tubing wrench at 3:00 position, push down with straight arm, using body weight, and you'll feel it "give as the ferrule "squeezes" onto the tube, gotta' look like a wedding ring on a fat man's finger!
I type slooooow, I hope I don't have to ever type all this again. (just use search!) At least I've learned how to spell FERRULE correctly!
Some have resorted to soldering ferrules to the line. This is sometimes need on an original line that has a "lap" seam from original manufacturing methods, instead of a "butt" seam that was used later. Bill W.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #17
Ross/Kzoo

I'm thinking that it would be part #13490 on pg 58 in Brattons catalog.

I think that you're right Bill, about one side not having the taper on that ferrule. I may try removing most of the taper on one side.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #18
Jazzjr

Why don't you order a New Line part # A-9240-B fits 28-some 31's for $5.25 Probaly you old one is bent anyways. Here is a link to the Lines, ferrulels and or nuts
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/se...+line&x=95&y=5

Gas Line

Goes from sediment bulb on firewall down to the carb. This is a plated steel line with brass fittings, not for late 31's. U.S.A.

Gas Line Fitting

Brass gas line fittings like the originals. When you tighten it up, the ferrule will snap on the fitting. U.S.A. Part # A-9243 $ 1.35 each. I keep a couple of Spare Fittings
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzjr View Post
Why don't you order a New Line part # A-9240-B fits 28-some 31's for $5.25 Probaly you old one is bent anyways. Here is a link to the Lines, ferrulels and or nuts
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/se...+line&x=95&y=5

Gas Line

Goes from sediment bulb on firewall down to the carb. This is a plated steel line with brass fittings, not for late 31's. U.S.A.

Gas Line Fitting

Brass gas line fittings like the originals. When you tighten it up, the ferrule will snap on the fitting. U.S.A. Part # A-9243 $ 1.35 each. I keep a couple of Spare Fittings
Yep! that's it! The only thing different is that the ferrule's attached so's you don't lose 'afore you get the danged thing +*%&$# squeezed on the line!
Somebody else mentioned string. Chief taught me that in an emergency, wind your own ferrule out of string. Lookin' at the end of the tube, wind it counter-clockwise so it doesn't "unwind" when the nut is screwed in! GOT THAT?? Bill W.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #20
ken ct
BANNED

I have never had one break-off like their supposed to.I usta break them off before installing.Dont use them any more. I have separate fittings and ferrels i use. Work every time. ken ct.