Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
zoegrant

Default 6 volt turn signals ????

I would like to put turn signals on my 6V 1936 coupe...does anyone make such a kit ?
zoegrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
zoegrant

Default Re: 6 volt turn signals ????

Never mind...did not realize that Joe`s in Uxbridge has such a kit...
Old 10-30-2019, 02:51 PM   #3
Anteek29

Yes, bought one on Fleabay for my '41 p-u.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
1931 flamingo

6Volt or 12 volt, the "stalk" doesn't know the difference.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #5
zoegrant

Paul...are you saying I could use a 12v turn signal switch for my 6 volt car ? I have a turn signal switch for a 12 volt car...I would have to remove the 12v bulb and replace with a 6v bulb....
Why do the vendors who sell these item specify 6 or 12 volt when purchasing ?
Old 10-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #6
50droptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoegrant View Post
Paul...are you saying I could use a 12v turn signal switch for my 6 volt car ? I have a turn signal switch for a 12 volt car...I would have to remove the 12v bulb and replace with a 6v bulb....
Why do the vendors who sell these item specify 6 or 12 volt when purchasing ?
The designation likely involves the flasher provided as these are voltage specific.
50droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:35 PM   #7
zoegrant

I believe that the 12v unit I have is sold by every vendor for $25. or so...the wires that are coming out of the unit are 18 gage, would I need heavier wires for the 6v ?
Old 10-31-2019, 06:15 AM   #8
50droptop

Quote:
I believe that the 12v unit I have is sold by every vendor for $25. or so...the wires that are coming out of the unit are 18 gage, would I need heavier wires for the 6v ?
Very good point; 6V would require heavier wire. Another option could be to find an original accessory unit produced by Ford for ‘49/‘50 Model year. I installed one of these recently on my ‘36. Still haven’t incorporated the self canceling feature yet; gotta do some more engineering to get that going, but the unit itself works great. It did require that I run two additional wires over what’s shown on the Ford instructions. One wire from the stop light switch (hot side) and one wire to the right rear. Other than that I purchased the repop wiring for the switch, the repop front crossover wire and the repop rear wire (from switch to LH taillight). I did have to adapt the indicator bulbs to a couple of green jewel lights I found on the internet. Installation was straight forward and it works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 484D8425-9E9F-4ED1-B965-1EE66BA49CFC.jpg (41.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg CEAF3E1C-0244-487C-97C6-58B5E0C2F4D9.jpg (54.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DC3AC113-16A8-4FD0-A90C-9FDDB8ABE959.jpg (54.0 KB, 57 views)
50droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:13 AM   #9
chap52

Check the Model A vendors... Berts, Mikes Affordable, Brattons. They all have 6 volt kits. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:23 AM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
The brake/turn signal filament wiring should be at least #16, but #14 would be better.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:55 AM   #11
Tom-MI

I have seen several applications of '60s VW turn signal kits (6 volt), mounted in early Fords. When the housing is painted the same color as the steering column it looks factory.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1212-0990.jpeg (17.4 KB, 62 views)
Tom-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:26 PM   #12
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-MI View Post
I have seen several applications of '60s VW turn signal kits (6 volt), mounted in early Fords. When the housing is painted the same color as the steering column it looks factory.

Tom
I've used the VW turn unit on several occasions. They work excellent and can be painted the same color as the column. That switch was used on the bugs and the buses.
Another option is the toggle turn switch from American Auto wire or Kwik Wire. It can be mounted under the dash where it is basically not noticeable.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:24 PM   #13
zoegrant

Anyone able to post a picture of what lights are used on the front of the car and a picture or good description of how they are mounted ?
I have twin taillights in the rear of the car so am planning to hook up the directionals to those. I also am thinking of a 3rd light using suction cups to hold the 3rd light to the rear window and the directional would also work on those....all ideas and comments are invited.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:26 AM   #14
fortyonerag

I installed flashers on my 41 after having problems (particularly at night) with other drivers not understanding my intentions. The car is 6V positive earth.

I used a commonly available 12V turn signal unit. The wire gauge does not seem to be problem with the load. The turn signal units seem (at least those I have seen) to come in 7 wire and 5 wire units. The 7 wire units are configured to provide flashing brake lights. The 5 wire units are used when you have discrete lamps to flash. The connection diagrams will come with whichever unit you select.

If you are running positive earth you will need a compatible positive earth flasher can. I used a BV535 3 prong flasher can. You can use two prong cans, but there is a little extra wiring to be done for the pilot light.

I have flashing brake lights in the rear. In the front I replaced the single element park light globe holder with a two element globe holder (like brake lights) and have a discrete flashers. This way I still have park lights, but the car looks stock.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #15
TJ

Quote:
Anyone able to post a picture of what lights are used on the front of the car and a picture or good description of how they are mounted ?
I have twin taillights in the rear of the car so am planning to hook up the directionals to those. I also am thinking of a 3rd light using suction cups to hold the 3rd light to the rear window and the directional would also work on those....all ideas and comments are invited.
The use of front lights depends on the year of the car, From 1940 up you can use the parking lights. From 1939 back you can use the parking lamps in the head lights, but they get wiped out when the head lights are on. I prefer using a vintage set of fog lamps on the front of the early cars. You can't miss them when they flash.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #16
Allinger

I used United Pacific turn signal clamp-on purchased from Summit Racing. Part number UPD-5007R for $31.99. It also required a 6 volt flasher part number UPD-110252 for $12.99. Easy to follow directions for wiring with my positive ground. Simply tighten the band clamp on the steering column. Well constructed and fit my 1932 column shaft.
I ended up swapping out the internal indicator flash bulb to a 6 volt equivalent so I could see the light. Since it doesn't have any self-cancelling cam, I also installed a stock GM headlight buzzer to remind me wired to the flasher...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/upd-5007r
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/upd-110252
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UPD-5007R_s.jpg (1.4 KB, 214 views)
Allinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #17
RalphG

Signal stat was a popular name brand in add on signal light kits back before signals were common on vehicles. I've got a couple of them on fifties IH trucks. Also salvaged another one from a rusted out GMC. Maybe some day I will figure out how to install one in my 52 Merc.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:01 AM   #18
FireEngineMike

Use relays and LED style resistors if you are worried about wire gauge.
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #19
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEngineMike View Post
Use relays and LED style resistors if you are worried about wire gauge.
True, but wouldn't a little wire be a lot easier and cheaper? You have to run some new wiring anyway.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:56 PM   #20
Graeme / New Zealand

I use a Trucklite/ Signal Sat 900 switch that clamps to the column. Made my own colour coded loom and ran the wires inside the the chassis rails to all four corners. Got a park light conversion pigtails from C&G so I could run a dual filament bulb to incorporate the front turn signals. As amber turn signals are the norm here in NZ and no one would take any notice of little red flashing tail lights I gold hold of 2 period Ford back up lights and converted those to turn signals by putting in an orange 6v amber VW bulb and cutting up a clear orange kitchen cleaner spray bottle and placed that behind the bulb to give a better spread of light. For the flasher unit I used a Tridon/Novita LL535 which is a 6v unit and USA made, don't use the Chinese equivalent that sometimes come with kits, they are crap. I got my US made ones through Rock Auto. Those Novita ones make a good loud click too. I mounted mine on one of the springing clips designed to hold cylindercal objects which I attached behind the dash to one of the screws that hold the radio speaker grill in place ( I don't have a radio). Best thing I ever did and I feel safer driving the car. No one knows what hand signals are today...people thing you are makeing rude signs at them.

GB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180610_144453.jpg (65.1 KB, 30 views)

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote