Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #41
Bobalong

Default Re: Towing Model A

I adapted a Harbor Freight tow bar to tow my coupe. Pretty simple procedure and it works just fine. I've tried towing with and without the drag link attached. I found that with the drag link attached I was "dragging" the front wheels around corners. Works and tracks much better with the link detached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.9 KB, 132 views)
Bobalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #42
JohnLaVoy

Over the years I've flat towed a Model A the length of California a number of times with out a problem. Moved onto an open trailer, and currently use an enclosed trailer.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #43
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

I have two tow bars. One replace the front bumper and is for sale (local pickup only).
The other one, which I've used many times for up to 100 mile trips attaches to the frame in the front bumper arm holes. On the 100 mile trip, I was towing a non running 1930 pickup and had it's drivers side rear wheel pass me by. I recommend checking all lug nuts and gear oil before towing a car you are not familiar with.
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:21 PM   #44
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

An early VW Bug tow bar hooks around the front axle and works great for at least 300 miles.....at least mine did.

I used one of those tow bars once and it worked just fine but only used it for a short distance. Seems like there was a little side play between the spring perches but maybe with an added spacer that problem could be taken care of. That tow bar was borrowed so I later made my own tow bar that fastened to the front bumper arms and not the front bumper.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:52 PM   #45
TDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
basic triple A only tows you for a few miles-the deluxe triple A gives you 4 one hundred mile tows a year-a great deal and no worries about carrying around all that equipment.
If you have the Premier, you have a 200 mile toe and 3, 100 mile tows a year.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:46 PM   #46
Keith True

I've flat towed Model A's back and forth to Florida from N.H. a number of times.I would take an old fellows car back and forth for him so he could have it down there winters.What I got out of it was an all expense trip and a place to stay while I was there,twice a year.I think I did it four times,starting in 76.He would pack his wheel bearings,check the oils,hang a light bar across the back,and off I'd go.I had a 70 Blazer with a 307 and a 4 speed,used a VW tow bar,and only stopped for gas until I got to where I was going.I never had anything happen.You have to drive a little different,I never took a tight corner,always a wide sweep.The wheels wouldn't warp over and stay there,but on too tight of a corner they would scuff,yank my truck around a little,until I straightend out.At that time the speed limits had all dropped to 55,and I was very comfortable running at 50-55 for hours on end.I never really bought into the bearing running dry thing,look at the level of the oil when filled,and the lower half of the bearing,it looks like the lower part is in the oil.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #47
Mikeinnj

I would NEVER trust ANY bumper clamps to tow a Model A. Take the bumper off, use the holes in the frame with grade 8 bolts/nuts, or attach to the axle. Think of the liability incurred if the bumper clamps were to break and the A took off on it's own....
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:52 PM   #48
barkleydave

I believe you mentioned towing it 25 miles to parades etc. Heck ..drive it!

I tour with a couple of clubs and often have to travel 2-3 hundred miles to the jump off points. In my case a proper tandem axle trailer with electric brakes is the only way to go. I have too much invested to drag my Heap around... JMHO.

If I do break down I can get it home.... AAA will not tow your A hundreds of miles.... that gets real expensive quick! Enjoy your ride I sure am !
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:09 AM   #49
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

This thread was started a year ago.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:51 AM   #50
pooch

I reckon if a car cannot make it 25 miles to a parade. I would be more worried about it breaking down in the middle of the parade itself.

Most embarrassing.

And get all the raspberries from the chev crowd.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #51
Terence Carey

Thanks for the discussion, guys. My interest came from driving a roadster pickup 40 miles in 41 degree weather, with no windows! I am modifying the finest Harbor Freight tow bar to fit my axle, and will extend the shank on the hitch head to compensate for the 20 inch setback of the axle. Wish me luck
Terence Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #52
Terence Carey

Thanks Guys. My interest stems from having to drive 40 miles at 3:30 AM in a roadster pickup with no windows. I am modifying the finest Harbor Freight tow bar to attach to the front axle, and plan to extend the ball shank to compensate for the 20 inch setback of the axle. All will be secured with pins for easy removal when not needed.
Terence Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #53
katy

Quote:
On the 100 mile trip, I was towing a non running 1930 pickup and had it's drivers side rear wheel pass me by. I recommend checking all lug nuts and gear oil before towing a car you are not familiar with.
Also check the rear axle nuts and the front spindle nuts. Had a rear wheel come off a RPU one time because someone had "stolen" the axle nut at one time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A pickup.jpg (54.1 KB, 41 views)
Old 01-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #54
denis4x4

My wife always knows where the tow bar is in case she has to drive the truck someplace to rescue me. I also use the tow bar when I take a car in for service so she DOESN'T have to follow me to the dealership. Lot's of practical reasons to have a tow bar set up.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #55
mike657894

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
For long distance towing you need a trailer, but if it breaks down a few miles from home you can make a tow bar that you can remove the front bumper and bolt it on. It will fit in a large trunk or a pickup.
I remove the bumper and bolt it to the arms, so you do not put scratches in your chrome and do not have to worry about your clamps breaking.
with some rubber (maybe tire) and a little ingenuity i could make a tow bar that wont mar the chrome(paint in my case)
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote