Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2017, 08:37 AM   #21
Pat/Ohio

Default Re: I need a V8 in my life

181....There is what appears to be a super nice original 1947 Mercury 4dr listed on the Early Ford V-8 Club site. Try this link:

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/classifi...biles&id=11570

If that link doesn't work for you...try www.efv8.org then go to classified ads.

Good luck, Pat
Pat/Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #22

Hello Pat, thank you, I´ll try to contact the seller!
Thank you for your effort.
181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:18 AM   #23

Here we go again. After the deal fell through I got frustrated and enjoyed my aircooled VWs in the past year. Now I ´m out again for a good car to enjoy:

I´m looking for a 4 door sedan (not interested in other body styles) to enjoy with my family. Preferably Mercury, but very good Ford also considered.

Preferably 1939 (sloped headlamps), or later 1946-47 car.

The car has to be very nice, preferably low mileage, preferably original inside and out, well sorted out and working.

Please let me know what you have, any help in finding right car for me very appreciated! Any location will be considered.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:26 AM   #24
oldbugger

Welcome, interesting stuff you have there. There is a few of us here that seem to think old VWs and old Fords seem to work well togather. Paul
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:34 AM   #25

Hello again. After some years and ill fated attempts I finally bought a car. Not a V8, but a V12. It is a 1939 Zephyr from late member of LZOC. It has a total mileage of about 60 000 and at this moment it is in transit to my place. Getting excited, already found a replacement tail lamp lens, bought oil and filters, contracted a steering wheel recast. Now I would like to find Columbia rear operation manual and at least one spare headlamp lens. I´m getting very excited as I´m only few days from driving it!

Old 09-21-2021, 08:46 AM   #26
Steve in Denver

Biggest recommendation is, "Buy one that you can see for yourself", or "one a Barner" can verify its existence and condition for you. If no one can actually see it, it probably doesn't exist. Too many scammers out there.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:32 PM   #27
Zeke3

Great to hear you found a car that fits what you were looking for. That car should have plenty of room for the family. Let us know when it arrives.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:14 PM   #28
John Gibson

There is a 1946 Mercury 4 door for sale on The Early Ford V8 site that appears mostly original. Car is located in Nebraska, USA for 15k
John Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:56 PM   #29
mercman from oz

1940 Ford Deluxe Convertible For Sale

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/classifi...biles&id=16974
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:38 AM   #30
38 coupe

Congratulations on getting the Zephyr, we need more pictures of the car!
Get a reproduction copy of the Columbia axle "Owner Manual & Primer" from Columbia Two Speed Parts: http://www.columbiatwospeedparts.com/index.cfm
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:45 AM   #31
JM 35 Sedan

We're all excited as well . That's a great car you have found. More pictures please, and keep us posted on your progress.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:17 PM   #32
38 coupe

Any updates on the Zephyr? Inquiring minds want to know!
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:50 AM   #33

Hello and thanks for asking!

The car arrived to Europe after almost 2.5 months from which it spent the most in Georgia waiting for shipping container. Then it spent almost 14 days on the sea. From the port in Germany to my place (about 700 miles) it went on a trailer.

After its arrival I had to install a new Optima and feed the carb from a syringe, but the engine started very quickly and the car went from a trailer with its own power.

I changed the engine oil for 10W30, transmission oil for 80W140 and the differential oil for 80W90. I went by viscosities in Zephyr owners manual and purchased oils from https://www.rektol-klassik.de/en/, a company in Germany which makes broad range oils in old specifications.

I had to change one of the tail lamp lenses as the original was cracked and glued together and fan belt. I also started servicing and greasing the lubrication points on the chassis, waterpumps and generator, also various linkages and front wheel bearings, cleaned the differential case from a layer of mud and grease and preparing to give the chassis some anti-rust protection. Linseed oil and wax I think.

Water temp gauge and fuel gauge is out of order, front emblem is damaged and othere are telescopic shock absorbers are fitted in place of lever shock absorbers. Those problems will be remedied slowly. Exhaust systeem is faily new and very well put together so I´ll leave it in placefor now although the silencer is apparently not original. I purchased some spare part lists and manuals to help me.

We are in full autumn here so i think now it´s time for proper road registration. I will have to retrofit turn signals, which are mandatory here. We did some very short trips in the neigborhood as usage of unregistered vehicle is a big no - no here. It drives traight, it brakes, it upshifts very well, it downshifts from 3rd to 2nd very well,from 2nd to 1st I have to go to almost full stop. I´m used to drive non-synchronised transmissions so I usually double clutch on downshifts and double step on upshifts to save the transmission internals as much as possible.

There is a nice V12 engine for sale in the US headers, generator, distributor and carburetor. It´s viisually perfect, may be removed from car in early stage of its life or a rebuild (the owner does not know much). As I´m in the middle of "No Lincoln continent" I think it would be nice to have a spare engine on hand! How much should I pay for it? Condition of internals is unknown.

Last edited by 181; 10-21-2021 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:26 PM   #34
1936Tudor

Wow!! nice car. congratulations

my two cents: do not use Linseed oil for the chassis. It will stay tacky, dirt and humidity will stick to it and accelerate corrosion.

Use Owatrol. It penetrates rust, hardens and creates a closed surface. No further corrosion. You should find it on amazon.de
1936Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:34 PM   #35
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1936Tudor View Post
Wow!! nice car. congratulations

my two cents: do not use Linseed oil for the chassis. It will stay tacky, dirt and humidity will stick to it and accelerate corrosion.

Use Owatrol. It penetrates rust, hardens and creates a closed surface. No further corrosion. You should find it on amazon.de
https://www.owatrolusa.com/product/owatrol-oil/

https://www.amazon.com/Owatrol-Oil-L...4837926&sr=8-5

Rust inhibitor which penetrates deeply until it reaches the sound metal below.

Drives out moisture and air, stabilizing the rust and preventing it from reforming.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 10-21-2021 at 12:40 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:50 PM   #36

Thank you for the warning on raw linseed oil. I'm very familiar to owatrol, I have several cans on hand anytime and that is what I'm going to use. I was convinced that Owatrol is linseed based with some drying additives, but maybe I was wrong all the time. So yes I will use Owatrol to penetrate rust and then some nice wax coating after Owatrol cures.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:56 PM   #37
1936Tudor

all is good then, it seems I was preaching to the choir.
1936Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:23 AM   #38
Colin S

Congratulations on the purchase of the 1939 Zephyr. You need to join the Lincoln-Zephyr Owners Club, www.lzoc.org. I am the Foreign Correspondent based just outside London, England and have 3 LZs.
Colin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:15 AM   #39

Hi Colin, nice to -virtually- meet you!

For the cold starts I went through choke assembly and hand throttle assembly during past weekend, which were tough in their bowden tubes. I just carefully disassembled, cleaned, dusted off and oiled everything. Now everything works smooth. I use very light oil with molybden sulphide added to it. It works very well for oiling bowden tubes.

Next task is the fuel gauge, which is not working at all, water temp gauge, where the sensor may be suspect (it is parking at hot, but after starting and driving it stays cold all the time) and oil temp gauge, which is showing approximately 2/3 of the pressure then the aftermarket oil pressure gauge which is added under the dash.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:00 AM   #40
Colin S

Good to hear from you. The sender in the gas tank may be stuck. This is easliy accessible from a small removable panel on the trunk floor. To test the gauge remove the wire from the unit and momentarily touch it to the car body/chassis with the ignition turned on and the gauge should go to full. If this works then the problem is with the sender unit in he tank. I have successful used the Bob Drake reproduction unit 99A-9275 (US$35) as this will work on 6 or 12 volts. The water gauge is correct as starting in 1939 it parks on hot and will change to cold when the ignition is turned on. You may have an incorrect oil pressure sender unit as there are two types and they both look the same.If the after market gauge is connected direct to the engine that will be more accurate. Hope this is useful...Colin.
Colin S is offline   Reply With Quote