Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2023, 05:13 PM   #1
bergie

Default Lubricating fan?

I need help from those on Fordbarn that are more familiar with the fan assembly on the 49-53 V8. I was leafing through the 2021 Van Pelt LLC parts catalog and I noticed on page 88 an article titled “Service and How-Tips for the Oil Filled Fan Assembly “. It has a photo that looks exactly like the one I have on my V8. The article explains that many owners don’t know that the fan requires routine maintenance by removing a small screw in the hub and adding approximately 2 ounces of 85-90 weight gear oil and then turning the fill hole down so the oil will drain out, leaving the right amount trapped in the hub. Really? I had never heard of this. I looked in my copy of 49-50-51 Ford F-series shop manual and under the section “fans and belts “, the very first sentence is “the fans used on Ford trucks require no lubrication”. VanPelt’s article indicates the fan should be serviced at each oil change. I tried to remove the small screw that I believe the VanPelt article is referring to, but so far no success and I am concerned about damaging the slot on the screw. Also I removed the eight retaining screws for the fan and took the front of the hub/carrier assembly off and it appears the cavity that is then exposed is filled with grease. What are you doing? Thanks, Bergie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B3CE4167-8440-4B0D-975B-FF6D4CC175F8.jpg (68.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 624C9B4B-367C-4FD9-ADED-C24F48B827DB.jpg (83.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 0539B7E8-03E0-4B67-8DC3-657E0C34FD4D.jpg (95.3 KB, 70 views)
bergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:32 PM   #2
mcgarrett

Default Re: Lubricating fan?

The grease you have in there might be enough lube to do the job. I did one for a friend and we used 600 wt. oil. If you go that route, don't put in too much.
Most of it will run out and makes a mess. I don't think there is any kind of seal to keep oil inside the hub.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 07:04 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
I need help from those on Fordbarn that are more familiar with the fan assembly on the 49-53 V8. I was leafing through the 2021 Van Pelt LLC parts catalog and I noticed on page 88 an article titled “Service and How-Tips for the Oil Filled Fan Assembly “. It has a photo that looks exactly like the one I have on my V8. The article explains that many owners don’t know that the fan requires routine maintenance by removing a small screw in the hub and adding approximately 2 ounces of 85-90 weight gear oil and then turning the fill hole down so the oil will drain out, leaving the right amount trapped in the hub. Really? I had never heard of this. I looked in my copy of 49-50-51 Ford F-series shop manual and under the section “fans and belts “, the very first sentence is “the fans used on Ford trucks require no lubrication”. VanPelt’s article indicates the fan should be serviced at each oil change. I tried to remove the small screw that I believe the VanPelt article is referring to, but so far no success and I am concerned about damaging the slot on the screw. Also I removed the eight retaining screws for the fan and took the front of the hub/carrier assembly off and it appears the cavity that is then exposed is filled with grease. What are you doing? Thanks, Bergie.
The directions you'd found are correct. If memory serves, originally 30w motor oil was used. I believe reality dictated that the heavier oil worked best.
Two gaskets kept the lubricant (for the most part) where it was intended to be.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:18 PM   #4
modela4shane

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ervicetips.htm
LINK FROM VAN PELT ON HOW TO SERVICE FAN.
modela4shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:19 AM   #5
Mac VP

I’m not sure what publication you read that states that these fan assemblies do not need to be lubricated, but there are multiple sources (including Ford bulletins) that clearly describe the lubrication process. I can assure you that your fan hub assembly (the type shown in your photo) will seize up if you fail to keep it lubed. They require oil, not grease. I’ve taken many phone calls over the years from owners who did not know of the issue, but learned about it the hard way when the fan shaft seized or eventually broke due to the lack of lubrication.

We put the information on our website AND in our printed catalog to try to get the word out there as much as possible. Too many subsequent vehicle owners never got the word about the fans when they acquired the vintage Ford. This fan design was used by Ford on the following models with the flathead V8:
1942-48 passenger cars (Ford and Mercury)
1942-52 trucks
1949 Mercury
1949 Lincoln

The design seems inadequate but actually works quite well……if it’s lubricated as part of the vehicle normal service. They outlast the later designs using sealed ball bearings inside the fan hubs. Of course, the oil lubed design was more expensive to produce.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:25 AM   #6
Automotive Stud

I had one of those fans seize up last summer due to running dry. Fortunately didn't do any more damage than having to replace the fan assembly. Make sure you follow the procedure.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:52 AM   #7
pistonbroke

I believe the 53 car style does not need maintenance but the 49 thru 53 truck does. In my brothers 51 F1 we learned the hard way but when looking at his 53 coup it appears to have sealed bearings of some sort. Tim
pistonbroke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 11:42 AM   #8
GB SISSON

Maybe a good candidate for JD cornhead grease? I also remember a lubriplate grease intended for outboard lower units that came in a plastic squeeze tube. Very handy and clean to use.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:25 PM   #9
bergie

Thanks to all that responded. I am convinced that the fan hub does need to be serviced. Even though the 49-50-51 Ford F- series truck shop manual Chapter VI, section 12, FANS AND BELTS says it doesn’t. Apparently Ford wasn’t aware. I talked to a couple of engine builders in my area and they both were aware of the need to service the fan but they also said they weren’t surprised that someone had used grease instead of oil in the hub because of the tendency of an oil-filled hub to throw oil all over the pristine engines and all around the engine compartment. One of the engine builders remarked that when these engines were built grease stayed wherever it was applied but nowadays we have lubricants that are thicker than oil but are somewhat “fluid” and might “flow” to lubricate the fan shaft but still be able to be retained in the hub. He did not suggest a particular product. Would anyone here like to weigh in?
bergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:40 PM   #10
sidevalve8ba

I am using that same fan on my flathead. When I first got it together I was using 30 weight motor oil in it and it tended to leak a bit. I then took someone's advice and swiched to 90 weight gear oil and problem solved. I too had thought about cornhead grease but I think that is not intended for use with the r.p.m.s that the fan would spin. Think of the use of it in a steering box and how few r.p.m.s that would turn.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:20 PM   #11
pistonbroke

I think if you dismantle the hub you will find it is a simple screw type circulating pump so grease or to thick of oil would not be good. I don't remember now where I read it ( possibly the owners manual) but if my memory serves me right SAE 30 was recommended. I don't recall the amount but on the two 51 F1's I have been involved with there has been no leakage or slinging of oil from the fan hub. Tim
pistonbroke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 04:12 PM   #12
Ken/Alabama

I’ve got an updated Ford Service Bulletin somewhere that states Ford changed from 30 weight to gear oil.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 03:38 AM   #13
Mtn Wudy

I used the method where you fill with some gear oil ,,then rotate and let it drain ..
It was off the car ,,so I chucked it in the vise...Left a small can under it overnight ..
I used Lucus Hub Oil...Truck Parts places Carry it for axle hubs..Worked perfect ...
Old 05-28-2023, 05:13 PM   #14
msstring

Hi guys, it has been a long time since I have posted. Haven't had much time to work on the Bord 4rd. She runs great but I let my fan hub go dry on a fairly long drive. I remember someone sent me some info on a bearing kit someone was selling for this. But, I can't find it. Wondering if anyone here has heard of this or something like that? My truck is an F3 with an 8BA.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Last edited by msstring; 05-28-2023 at 06:30 PM.
msstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:21 PM   #15
aussie merc

there was a production change from lub required to not required around mid49 and i believe all subsequent replacements were non lube when i find it i will post as its in a pile of service notes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img009.jpg (35.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg img008.jpg (48.6 KB, 25 views)
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 10:16 PM   #16
msstring

Thanks! I wonder if these are still available somewhere.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
msstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 05:50 AM   #17
Mac VP

The “new type” fan assembly referred to in the above bulletin was specifically for the 1949 model Ford passenger cars (with the V-8 engine). It has the wide belt pulley. I believe it has a larger diameter fan than the 1942-48 passenger car fans, so I don’t know that it could be substituted for the earlier passenger car fans. Also, the fan blades were riveted to the hub assembly so swapping fan blades is not a feasible option.

Ford continued to use the “oil filled “ fan and hub assembly on the truck engines through at least 1952. These units had the larger diameter fan blades, but the basic hub, pulley, shaft, bracket, and related assembly parts were all the same as the previous 1942-48 types.

The newer type hub assembly with the sealed ball bearings was used on the passenger cars (with the V-8) up through 1953 models, but 1949 Ford cars were the only ones that had the wide belt pulley. The 1950-53 Ford car fans all had the narrow belt pulley. The 1950-53 Mercury cars had a similar narrow belt pulley, but the pulley had open slots compared to the closed appearance of the Ford pulley.

We stock repair parts for the original oil filled fans (mainly the spindle bearing and the shaft with the impeller) but the actual hub and pulley has not been reproduced and can be hard to find. I grab them whenever I find them. The aftermarket has also created a replacement hub and sheave assembly, with the shaft running on sealed ball bearings. We usually have these in stock too.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote