Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen
Default Two questions

Hi guys, I "mike" a crank today at 1.5775 is this 10 under, also I know on a 30 you have to take off the body to remove the running boards, What i need to know can you take off the fenders with no problem thanks AL
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Default Re: Two questions

Is it a one piece splash apron or two piece? If it's a one piece apron you can just unbolt/unscrew the fenders and they will come off without any trouble. With a 2 piece apron you need to take out the front two body bolts on each side, and slide it out from under body- which may or may not be easy depending on if the car has been apart in the past 50 yrs...

The rear fenders aren't much hassle either way.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
wrndln

I think the mains on the crank were originally 1.625 (slightly less for the oil lubrication). If your crank measures 1.5775, you crank is more than .045 under sized which is less than should be used. Are you sure the 1.5775 is correct?
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
pat in Santa Cruz

Another way to look at it from Luke"s correct observation is, if you have a 31 (with the correct splash apron), the fenders come off without lifting the body like the other years. If you are measuring the rod journals, they are 1.5 std and you did something wrong. If you're measuring the mains correctly, the crank is a door stopper, anchor or a good core for a Model T crank.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

thanks guys for all the help, first yes this is the main I mike, The center cap was super thick Babbitt and was broke up in little parts, the running board is a two part,the front part of the running board is made on the front fender no bolts, It does unbolt from the running board so I was hoping I would not have to lift the body to remove the front fenders since the front part of the running boards are attached, Thanks again for all the help as always AL
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #6
pat in Santa Cruz

well, I am sorry to hear the crank is doo doo. But, if you are considering a rebuild, I have driven several engines with new counter weighted cranks in them and they do run nice and smooth. You do have an opportunity for that if you can afford it. Regarding the fenders, you do not have to lift the body much. Loosen the steering column clamp and all the body bolts, remove the ones that pass through the nose of the splash, remove the fender brackets and jack up the front of the body at the subframe cross member, then pull the fenders forward and out. I'm already assuming you have the hood, floorboards and radiator out .Its not that difficult, just takes some time is all.

Last edited by pat in Santa Cruz; 03-08-2011 at 10:02 AM.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:33 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

When Mark and I went to Antique Engine Rebuilders to pick up some parts I took a picture of this engine Rich Fallucca rebuilt, using a new Burlington counterweighted crank. I'm hoping to add counterweighted cranks to my Model A's when I rebuild the engines.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
Glenn C.

Would I be wrong in saying, that it also looks like that engine has inserted rods also. They also don't show any evidence of the usual methods of rod balancing.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C. View Post
Would I be wrong in saying, that it also looks like that engine has inserted rods also. They also don't show any evidence of the usual methods of rod balancing.
Yes, Rich only does inserted engine now. He told me he quit doing babbit a few years ago, so these are the new inserted rods he has made.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
kelley's restoration

he still does babbit for the mains though
he also mfg's his own rods for the A and ther B
tk