Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
rocket1

Unhappy Model A destruction

In the latest copy of street rodder they destroy a really nice 30 coupe,we all should try not to sell to these butchers,they can use glass bodies and repro parts.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
Anteek29

Default Re: Model A destruction

I'm a Model A purist...breaks my heart to see them 'rodded'.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
Keith True

I like to keep them stock too.But,until the A guys start dishing out the money the rod guys do it will keep happening.I've tried to save a couple by buying them myself,but in the end they went to rodders.I had a solid straight 29 coupe,parked for about 50 years undercover.I bought it for about $8000.That is what I had to pay to top the rodders offer.After a year I sold it to another rodder.Most of the A guys were offering around $3500.After listening to 20 or 30 A guys telling me it was gonna cost them $3000.for this and $5000.for that I hung a picture and price in a store that sells rod components.A couple of guys showed up,took a careful look at the body,and counted out the $8000.I had paid for it.I felt it was really too much money for the car,but I was hoping somebody might like a solid straight car to do from the ground up.That never happened.I bought an LB interior from a 31 Tudor from the guys that bought the coupe.They had taken it out of another car they had rodded.I paid $450.for it,and they did a great job taking it out.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
todd3131

Are you talking about the green coupe with yellow frame? Body was chaneled over the frame?
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:05 PM   #5
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I like to keep them stock too.But,until the A guys start dishing out the money the rod guys do it will keep happening....
Keith, I agree. Being a "Hot Roddder" myself (Tho I never hot rodded an "A") when I decided I wanted a stock A I could drive around I went into it thinking to pay a top amount for the car I wanted.

After purchasing a 1930 Town Sedan (see picture) what I hear mostly from "A" guys is I paid too much... Maybe I did, but I'm happy with it and that's all that matters.

My point here is Hot Rodders are willing to pay the price and if A people aren't going to change their way of thinking the "barn finds" and non-points cars are going to be Hot Rodded.

86°F @ Redondo Beach, CA today.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-14-2016 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Reinstalled missing picture...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #6
Big hammer

Supply and demand, should make originals worth more for each rodded A
I would not destroy an A
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:42 PM   #7
ModelAMike1930

It really breaks my heart to see a really solid model a of any kind chopped up and or rat rodded. I really think they look ugly with the fenders removed and big tires. I like to see the bumpers on them too..A stock model a ford is a thing of beauty.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
Bulligen

I do agree tho that the old timer Model A Guys don't want the hobby to get expensive, but remember most of the older guys are the same guys that bought their cars for $1,500 or $2,000 running and driving 40 years ago. Prices have changed! I like low prices too but have sold Model As and like has been said the older restoration guys want to buy them for prices from the 70s and 80s! When the younger guys will pay up for nice cars. I am 60 , I remember those days well and wish I was there again but times have changed boys we must change with it or be left behind!
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #9
Not George

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1 View Post
In the latest copy of street rodder they destroy a really nice 30 coupe,we all should try not to sell to these butchers,they can use glass bodies and repro parts.
Sounds like you are reading Street Rodder. Your'e not one of those butchers are you?
Just kidding, please take no offense, but you had to see it someplace.
Not George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #10
Keith True

I never would try to guess at a price for something other than in my own area.And,that would only be for unrestored cars.I've only sold a couple of A's that I've owned but I've sold a few for other people.I treat selling an A like I treat selling a british bike.I point the people at it,tell them the price,and leave them alone.I'll answer any questions and tell them anything I know about it,but the price is the price,and the buyer can say either yes or no.I was selling a Tudor a few years ago that a buyer was trying to subtract so much repair work I was going to have to give him money to take it away.An old fellow here in town passed away and his wife wanted to sell his 31 Tudor.Solid,straight,no interior and the babbit was talking.It had been talking since he bought the car in 1971.Quite a few A guys looked at it,but they all lowbawled her with explanations of having to spend $3-$5000 on the engine.A rodder paid her the $6500.she wanted and the body was on a custom chassis within days.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #11
anteek

I've lived in central Florida most of my life. love Model A's,had dozens,owned,parted,bought,sold,restored and hotrodded. Because of the snowbird's during the winter many referred to Florida as the East coast Whine Country. i got so tired over trying to sell a RESTORER a car for peanuts,only to have him flip it as soon as the title came back,for realistic money. i still work at restoring some but Rodders don't do the crying;they just pay for the privelige of playing with Henry's tin.
anteek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #12
bart78

I like hot rods but would not cut up a nice car. But I don't blame a guy that has the money. To start with a good body. And sells the rest to make some of his money back. How many people have been able to buy a complete running chassis. Because a guy just wanted the body. At a auction today. The restorers did not buy much. But the guys that are into hot rods got more. Most of the stuff will end up at Pates. Some of the guys will pay the money to make their build easier.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #13
todd3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd3131 View Post
Are you talking about the green coupe with yellow frame? Body was chaneled over the frame?
If it is the car I think he is talking about it isn't even a model a it is a 32 and he started with a rough car that was an old circle track car and all the restorers turned their noses up to it. They made four million model a fords they don't need to be all restored there are plenty to go around
Old 03-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #14
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd3131 View Post
If it is the car I think he is talking about it isn't even a model a it is a 32 and he started with a rough car that was an old circle track car and all the restorers turned their noses up to it. They made four million model a fords they don't need to be all restored there are plenty to go around
The number made or produced is inconsequential ! The important issue is how many remain that should be restored and not destroyed ! Reality is that the big bankroll will win out and that is indeed sad for our hobby ! I think we are very fortunate that so many have survived !
Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 03-07-2015 at 09:41 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:57 PM   #15
bart78

I think there are much more out there. I know of a few places with a bunch of A's. That have not been on the road in a long time. These are places with ten or more. There are still a lot of these places out there. And with these guys passing away now. They will be out there soon.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #16
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart78 View Post
And with these guys passing away now. They will be out there soon.
i suspect they will be crushed soon, because only fools like me are willing to buy them, everyone else turns their nose up at it.

My car has new tires, 500 miles on them, they will rot away before they wear out because nobody wants the damn thing, i built it to be an every day driver (can't afford to run it though) and people tell me i should pay them to take it away.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #17
todd3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
The number made or produced is inconsequential ! The important issue is how many remain that should be restored and not destroyed ! Reality ud that the big bankroll will win out and that is indeed sad for our hobby ! I think we are very fortunate that so many have survived !
Wayne
Why do they need to be restored? What real difference is it going to make either way now if you want to talk about a rare care like my 34 Buick that there are a few hundred of or the roadmaster convert that I am restoring now they are rare it would be a shame to streetrod
Old 03-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #18
fredski

Model a;s are not exactly destroyed by rodders. They are still model a,s.

I like the yellow one in the movie American graffity.

Again given the choice if I had to sell would prefer to sell to one
That would keep it as is.

Fredski
fredski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:22 PM   #19
bart78

That was a 32 in American Graffity.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #20
fredski

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart78 View Post
That was a 32 in American Graffity.
I realize that. Just used as an example.
Fred
fredski is offline   Reply With Quote