Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Determination or Sheer Ignorance?

And, you'll still be having fun 3 years from now as you complete your frame off complete restoration.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #22
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i like your attitude
save your sick days

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 04-25-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #23
jkcrosson

Well, burlington crank is installed, crossmember is installed, new front leaf spring is installed, frame is clean and for the most part painted, passenger side fender is partially fitted to the car. Next steps are to connect the front axle, reinstall steering column, and reinstall engine. I plan to put the engine in on Saturday. Happy Happy Happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model a update.jpg (39.2 KB, 24 views)
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #24
Terry, NJ

In my days as a construction manager, we used a "Critical Path" version of managing a project (too bad I didn't use it on this project), Basically, it takes thing as the project is ready for them. You build the roof after the foundation. You put the windows in after the wall is built. Some things are done simultaneously, but most things are done in order. But then with the first trime out, you can't know all the order of completion of each individual assembly. The "Punch lists" were used at the end to list unfinished tasks. Looking back, I couldn't agree more that I would have liked to have had some sort of "Critical Path/ Punch list" to organize this job better. However, this may be just nonsense since, not having the trades available, I would have worked on whatever pleased me the most, or displeased me the least
on that particular day.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I know what word you meant but this did give me a chuckle. Sometimes calling in the Divine one for a little intervention is NOT a bad thing!!

My suggestion for you to is to make a 'punch list' of all the tasks you need to accomplish to meet your goal. Then assign a start date and a finish date on a calendar for each of those tasks. Just like eating a 5 course meal, pace yourself and take small bites. Be realistic and reassemble some things as-is for another time after your deadline date. For example, why do the new fenders need to be done now? Focus on the new front crossmember and getting the engine operational. Use the wiring harness as "if time allows" task. Same thing with fenders.

Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
Tiny

Even though you cancelled your deadline this might help.
For every car I build I use a whiteboard to write everything I need to do.
Usually 3 colors of writing one for must do, one for I would like to do, and one for if time allows. As you finish a task erase it, its done. This helps keep me on track and focused. I get very easily distracted and I've found this helps.
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #26
Hasler55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcrosson View Post
Do ya'll ever get into a project and you think maybe you've bitten off more than you can chew. I've got to have the Model A back up and going by May 17 for a club function. Before then I've got to find and replace the front crossmember, install new front springs, replace one fender brace, install new wiring harness, install new burlington crank, fit an original but different set of front fenders to the car, work out the all the kinks and get it all put back together. This is in addition to working a real job. It should be interesting. I might have to call in the calvary.

As my father said to me " When you have a difficult task ahead, take it one problem at a time." And my advice is to tackle the most difficult problem first and the rest will be all down hill from there.
Hasler55 is offline   Reply With Quote