Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2021, 10:36 AM   #1
ford31

Default tube question

never done this,powdering tire or tube or both,and how to
ford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:18 AM   #2
Floats

Default Re: tube question

Hi Ford31,
Easy, use talcum or baby powder before installation. Put some powder in your hand and rub it on the tube. The tube is slightly tacky and some powder will stick to it.
Put some powder in the tire and rub the insides with your hands, it will also stick to the inside of the tire.
Fit the tire and tube as per normal.
Inflating the tube just a little, will make the rubbing as well as fitting the tube inside the tire, a easier.
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:26 AM   #3
ford31

thanks
Old 03-22-2021, 11:41 AM   #4
Big hammer

Never to old to learn how to powder a babies butt, lol
Old 03-23-2021, 02:40 AM   #5
McMimmcs

Your post(s) tire question answers your question very well.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:43 AM   #6
rotorwrench

Be careful with baby powder. The talc that is used sometimes has asbestos in it. Either talc or cornstarch can cause respiratory problems if a person dusts it out too much so rubbing it in would be the best approach.

Folks are used to wearing masks now so that would be a good idea.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #7
MikeK

FWIW, tires and tubes were originally dusted with powdered mica, not talc! If you look at an old NOS tube you see a somewhat sparkly crystalline appearance to the dusting covering the tube. Talc does not look that way.

Original reason for mica: Completely resistant to water and humidity. It is hydrophobic, and stays dry and slippery despite moisture. Talc, on the other hand, turns gummy and loses its ability to permit the tube to 'slip', relieving stretch tension between the tube, rim, and inner casing of the tire.

Back in the late 40's my dad had boxes of the stuff (mica powder) labeled "B.F. Goodrich" at his service station and tire shop. Every time a used tube or tire was removed for service they were brushed with the stuff before reassembly using what looks like a wallpaper paste brush. Now known to cause pulmonary fibrosis if you breathe the dust for a career, the stuff went out of circulation in tire shops 50 years ago.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:38 AM   #8
KGBnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
FWIW, tires and tubes were originally dusted with powdered mica, not talc! If you look at an old NOS tube you see a somewhat sparkly crystalline appearance to the dusting covering the tube. Talc does not look that way.

Original reason for mica: Completely resistant to water and humidity. It is hydrophobic, and stays dry and slippery despite moisture. Talc, on the other hand, turns gummy and loses its ability to permit the tube to 'slip', relieving stretch tension between the tube, rim, and inner casing of the tire.

Back in the late 40's my dad had boxes of the stuff (mica powder) labeled "B.F. Goodrich" at his service station and tire shop. Every time a used tube or tire was removed for service they were brushed with the stuff before reassembly using what looks like a wallpaper paste brush. Now known to cause pulmonary fibrosis if you breathe the dust for a career, the stuff went out of circulation in tire shops 50 years ago.
This is why I love this place. I learn all these interesting side-facts. I had never heard this before, but it make a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing.

Ken
Old 03-24-2021, 09:53 AM   #9
old31

Instead of talc I found that spaying water mixed with dish detergent and a bag works best.

I then set the tire changer platform on 4 milk crates and then use 3 HF tire changers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tire changing.jpg (18.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg tire changer platform1.jpg (66.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg tire changer platform.jpg (101.1 KB, 32 views)
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:24 PM   #10
ford31

what about chalk powder,u cant find talc around here,tractor place uses chalk powder
Old 03-25-2021, 10:43 AM   #11
rotorwrench

The purpose of dry lube on innertubes is to allow the tube to expand into the tire carcass without wrinkling the tube. Any material that allows that will work. As for one type being any better than another, that's up for debate.

Powdered mica has not been packaged as a tube lube for a long time. It would be even more important to wear a mask with it due to the scarring and possible cancer it can cause in the lungs. Definitely wear a mask if using powdered mica.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:17 PM   #12
Stingray70

Ok, so I just installed 6 new tires, tubes, and rim liners without doing any of this. No powder, no soap. I put about 5 psi in them and bounced them on the floor half a dozen times to let the tube find its happy place, then aired them up fully. Did I screw up? If there is a problem with what I did, when/what will happen?
Old 03-25-2021, 10:08 PM   #13
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray70 View Post
Ok, so I just installed 6 new tires, tubes, and rim liners without doing any of this. No powder, no soap. I put about 5 psi in them and bounced them on the floor half a dozen times to let the tube find its happy place, then aired them up fully. Did I screw up? If there is a problem with what I did, when/what will happen?
I think what you did will be just fine. It is more important to use talc or chalk if you have tubes in radial tires.

My opinion,

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 03-25-2021 at 10:09 PM. Reason: TYPO
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:09 AM   #14
ford31

back to powdering tires,i cut 1x4 blocks 5 inches long used 1x 4 to keep tire open,while coating inside tire with powder,pumped tube a bit powdered tube also just used hands took out blocks put tube in put wheel liners in mounted tires with wheels on truck was easier than i thought thanks for the help