Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
OLD AS I

Default '46 Crab distributor/wire assy

OK, there's gotta be a secret to assemble one of these systems. Got the distributor rebuilt by Bubba, now to assemble it, using the 2 piece cap, inner and outer caps with the clips and bail wire.
I mounted distributor on engine (engine in stand no rad in the way), have wires inst'd in inner cap, checked for good contacts, tried pushing wires through outer cap one side ............. there's gotta be a better way, how on earth did Henry do this, well guess Henry didn't do it but his guys did ???? Need step by step method, anyone with experience on this, using wire set from Bob Drake, brown coated wire set, wanting to keep original with rubber sleeve out of outer cap then up to metal conduit that wires come out and clip on plugs, perhaps I should be using rubber plug wires, more flexible, ??????, any help or suggestions would be appreciated, already skinned some of the brown coating off one of the wires pulling through outer cap.
OLD AS I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: '46 Crab distributor/wire assy

Thats really a pretty tough job for sure. I would spray the wires and inside the caps with WD40 , might make it a little easier to slip thru......
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
MGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Thats really a pretty tough job for sure. I would spray the wires and inside the caps with WD40 , might make it a little easier to slip thru......
This is what I did the last time and I also sprayed the inside of the tubes. It made a world of difference. I always fish the wires through the tubes with a fine wire doing the longest first to shortest last. The WD-40 made it easy.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:21 AM   #4
OLD AS I

Unhappy Re: '46 Crab distributor/wire assy

Yes, was thinking about using WD40 however I thought it would make a mess and everything would be slippery, will take another try at it with the WD40. I find leaving something that's not going well then coming back to it works also.
Thanks for the 2 comments.
PS, Bubba, that distributor sure looks nice but with your decal on it I cant say "I did it" like you mention on your web site, LOL
Old 02-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
OLD AS I

Still unable to get the wires to slide through outer cap, going to try to file out some of the plastic making area larger, if that doesn't work am going to use rubber coated wires, much softer, this is frustrating to say the least
Old 02-05-2017, 07:55 PM   #6
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I've done it a few times with Packard 440 and Rajahs...I suspect it's a lot harder with pre-cut and terminated wires.
I cut a set of wires with fairly generous excess length for each and stuff them through the conduits and then the channels on the outer cap, leaving minimal extra length on this end. This part is easier if you carefully stack the wires in the squareish channels. Put on the terminals first. Mark each wire back where it comes out of the steel tube with its number so you can identify the correct stub at the cap by using a simple circuit tester. Shove each end into the proper socket in the cap, keeping track of numbers carefully. When done check placement of wires again where they go through the outer cap conduits and shove them back into formation for easiest fit...any cross-ups here will fight you.
Slowly pull outer cap down to position, being careful not to pull any wires up in their sockets...just before the gap is gone shove'em all down one last time with needle nose pliers. Clip caps together, and with your circuit tester test from inner distributor contacts to far ends of the wires.
Now, sliding the rubber boots down (with a bit of an extra fight with coil wire) is fairly easy, then of course slide the steel tube down while pulling out on the plug end leads to ease things. At this point, the mess is reduced to a distributor assembly with two fairly compact floppy conduits.
Final cut is done by routing the protruding wires to their plugs, cutting them to achieve the arch you want identical on all of them. Terminating is then simple, especially with Rajahs.
With decent quality wire you shouldn't have to fight this fight again for a long time.
Distributor point service, timing, etc. is done by simply removing the two distributor bolts, popping off cap and rotor, and wiggling distributor out for bench service, leaving the cap dangling on the wires.
Check, check, check to avoid fouling up the firing order...you do NOT want to have to pull this stuff apart for correction!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:13 AM   #7
OLD AS I

Hello Bruce, thanks for the outline, after sitting down and looking things over for the 3rd time that's much along the line I was thinking of following my last attempt however I'm going with the more flexible rubber coated wire, you have a few points that I didn't think of. Now I just have to find wire and fittings
Old 02-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #8
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Your search ends HERE: https://www.brillman.com/
They have every known terminal and wire type. 440 and Rajah are the traditional flathead way, despite the GM connection...
Old 02-06-2017, 07:30 PM   #9
OLD AS I

Hello again Bruce, I just happened on that site earlier this morning, yes, certainly have a lot of interesting pieces, am considering using Packard plug wiring, used it in the '60's, very flexible and am sure that's what my problem is. I got a wire set from Bob Drake, part # 59A-12259, am looking at these weirs and thinking this material is too stiff, its plastic covered, there is no way in the world this material will bend in order to put the outer cap on the inner cap, THATS MY REAL PROBLEM. A cloth or rubber coated wire I'm sure will be better. I tried ordering from Brillman but it's like a 2-3 week delivery to Canada I was told. Went too the local Car Quest outlet, will have the wire for me by noon tomorrow, ordered Rajah ends etc from Speed Way, be a few days delivery from them
Old 02-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #10
MGG

Oldasi - You are correct about the plastic coated wire being too stiff. I used it once and never again. The plastic coating cracked when making the normal bends in the caps and out of the tubes to the plugs.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:27 PM   #11
jimTN

If you were using a real crab cap, you would not be having the problems you describe and its a lot more serviceable than the 46-8 caps. If your are going for strict originality then the 42 cap is not correct and the one you describe is. Good tips and advice above about going thru the conduits.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:47 PM   #12
GB SISSON

Everything at my place gets a crab cap unless it's an 8ba. I am too blind and arthritic to even consider the correct 46/47 cap. I tried it once, never again. Of course nobody ever looks under my hood but me. Just sayin'.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #13
richard crow

jim tn has good advice if you use the 42 cap try to get a set of the wire conduits it makes for a neater install yes there is a difference
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:54 PM   #14
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

The crab was discontinued due to problems with condensation and water problems...
The ventilation system did not do enough so they fortified the cap system to protect things. The late cap is better if car is going to be driven in bad weather.
By the way, the '42 type conduits had extra grommeted holes near the center of the engine for the wires that have to cross over from their cap positions. This is neater than crossing them in the distributor area and taping them to keep them out of belts and fan.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #15
OLD AS I

Guess I'm confused as to what these caps are, I thought the crab distributor was the flat distributer with the 2 piece cap, the inner where the wires plug in to the cap and the outer cap where the wires feed through to the rubber sleeve then in to the metal conduits, see pictures attached here.
jimTN, the '42 cap your speaking about, is that the 1 piece cap with the side plug ins for the wires as in the other picture here ?
GB SISSON, the 46-47 cap, is that the 2 piece one in the pictures here ?

Will the 1 piece cap with the side plug ins fit my distributer as in my picture here ? If it fits my distributer the wires are just a visual mess to get to the metal conduits ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dist cap.jpg (3.2 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170208_120913.jpg (58.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170208_120936.jpg (60.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170208_121005.jpg (66.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #16
RobR'35

Crab cap is the lower pic. Red cap in the pic.
It'll fit ur distributor. U'll need the rubber cups on the ends of the wires to seal the wires to the cap.
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #17
OLD AS I

So the red cap in my pictures is better to use then the 2 piece inner/outer cap system ?, WHY ?
Old 02-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #18
RobR'35

Like post 11 says. It's just easier to service. I've never tinkered with the '46-'47 style cap. Always had the crab type. Though I can see/imagine it would be more difficult with the one ur working with.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:34 AM   #19
OLD AS I

Hopefully the wire ends will be delivered from Speed Way tomorrow and that will provide me with all the pieces for the distributer wiring.
Want to thank everyone for the comments, have learned a lot about this part of the engine, members here are without a doubt the best source of information and knowledge, ............ cheers, .......... Chris
Old 02-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #20
JM 35 Sedan

The base distributor is basically the same from '42 - '48, and all that's necessary to use either the "crab" style cap vs. the "rabbit ear" style two piece cap, is to have the correct parts necessay to fasten the caps to the main body of the distributor. The rotors for these distributors are also different for the crab vs. the rabbit ear caps. The crab cap is fastened with a spring clip on each side, while the two piece rabbit ear cap uses a bail wire that snaps over top of the rabbit ear cap and holds the assembly together. The sealing of the crab cap can be improved by using a gasket between cap and distributor body, and placing those rubber cups in place, as Rob mentioned, where the wires exit the crab leg openings. Many folks, including me, prefer the looks and ease of servicing of the crab style cap.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-10-2017 at 06:35 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #21
MGG

Like JM 35 Sedan, I was intending to use the crab cap until I saw how close to the fan belt it placed some of the plug wires, so reluctantly I went back to the rabbit ear cap. This rabbit ear cap is to me by far the most difficult to work with because inside a cap which is only a little bigger that the older helmet caps (which had only four wires each), you have to cram 9 wires. To me this was a step backward in distributor design.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #22
RobR'35

Were u using the wire conduits with the crab cap MGG?
I use the conduits with the crab type cap with no troubles at all with wires hitting the fan belt. I've water pumps in the heads tho. Maybe there is a difference....
Old 02-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #23
MGG

I put on the crab cap and saw that some of the wires needed to make a very sharp bend to give me a comfortable distance from the fan belt, with or without the wire conduits. I did not try to install the conduits with the crab. It probably would have worked with the sharp bends but I liked the look of the rabbit ear setup better so I went back to it, also partially because that's what was original to the engine. My water pumps are the front block mounted style.