Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #41
kehughes

Default Re: Vern Tardel

Beware! I purchased some rear brake drum retainers from Vern on Nov 28 and still haven't received them...17 days later. I received an email on Dec 1 sayin it was shipped, but they gave me no tracking number. For the last 3 or 4 days, I have been trying to contact him to get a tracking # and let them know I haven't received my stuff.
I've emailed and faxed multiple times. They will not respond. This, IMHO, is awful customer service. Hopefully, it will eventually show up. Hope I'm not out $58.
kehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #42
JM 35 Sedan

I feel very fortunate to have visited with Vern for a day in 2010. He allowed me to spend as much time as I cared to looking around every nook and cranny of his shop and yard. Probably took over 100 pictures. Then we sat down together and looked through several picture albums of cars he has built over the years. Had a fantastic time, sure glad I stopped to see him.
As far as I know, he is no longer building cars, and has sold most, if not all of his early Ford parts that he had stashed in his yard. I think he still keeps somewhat active in writing/publishing his How To Books, and making/selling tools he has designed/built over the years.
I'm friends with Vern on Facebook, and could probably contact him through that website if I cared to.
He is an absolute legend when it comes to early fords, flathead ford v8 engines, and traditional hotrods.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 12-15-2017 at 09:57 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #43
deuce_roadster

I did park next to a 65 vette at a car event with my avatar roadster, when 2 teen aged boys walked by and looked at my engine, one told the other that my car had a corvette engine because it had "fins on the valve covers"! I just smiled.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #44
kehughes

JM 35,

Not sure if you let Vern know I was trying to contact him or not, but he emailed me back today.
He stated that he was not satisfied with the last batch of drum retainers so he held off on shipping to me until the new batch came in. He gave me a tracking # and is now shipping.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #45
kehughes

I am glad he takes pride in the parts that he sells and is very particular. I have no problem with the delay to get good parts...was just a little frustrated concerning the communications.

thanks if you helped
Old 12-15-2017, 09:08 PM   #46
mhsprecher

Well, for all the comments about him being analog in a digital world, he has a Facebook page and a newsletter that he sends out via e-mail plus a web site. Sounds like he is just doing business the way he wants to. Nothing wrong with that. There have always been business people that way. We have all become accustomed to business at internet speed, although the loss of net neutrality may slow that down for us in the years ahead.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:10 AM   #47
chap52

I can respect the fact that Vern has deciided how he wants to do business and the pace he chooses to work. Why complain if it's not your style? Just go somewhere else.
In this day and age he could be politically correct and lie about it and then put you on hold for who knows how long.
Much better than, as some vendors do, just hang you up for months without any notification.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #48
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
Well, for all the comments about him being analog in a digital world, he has a Facebook page and a newsletter that he sends out via e-mail plus a web site. Sounds like he is just doing business the way he wants to. Nothing wrong with that. There have always been business people that way. We have all become accustomed to business at internet speed, although the loss of net neutrality may slow that down for us in the years ahead.
I agree with your comments, but realize Vern’s business is by no means a one man shop. He has folks who help with that type of stuff. Not a knock, just the facts. Love Vern.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #49
Tony, NY

He hasn't sent out a newsletter in years. I was getting them. I think a friend of his is running things. I follow his Facebook and never see any posts.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #50
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehughes View Post
JM 35,

Not sure if you let Vern know I was trying to contact him or not, but he emailed me back today.
He stated that he was not satisfied with the last batch of drum retainers so he held off on shipping to me until the new batch came in. He gave me a tracking # and is now shipping.
No, it wasn't me who contacted him. May have been someone else who posts or lurks here, and is close to Vern, or maybe someone involved in his business.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #51
felix 40

California wildfires hit Verns hometown last month. I thought a portion of the town burned and Vern was relocating vehicles out of harms way. He could be busy dealing with that.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #52
felix 40

My mistake... I didnt realize the original post was over a year old. I'll try to pay better attention before I contribute.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #53
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I did not know of Vern until today. I enjoy reading and also watching him tell about his place. I would love to visit him place and take it all in. My 32 is all stock but would like to build a Fram with a French block that I have with a Columbia rear end. Now I am dreaming. I will keep his site to watch over and over again. Sure makes a fellow dream.I wonder what he would do with my Junker
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:19 PM   #54
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Redneck View Post
I would love to visit him place and take it all in. My 32 is all stock. I wonder what he would do with my Junker
First, he'd take those big, ugly fenders off and begin making a PROPER, old-timey hot rod out of it! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:22 PM   #55
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap52 View Post
I can respect the fact that Vern has deciided how he wants to do business and the pace he chooses to work. Why complain if it's not your style? Just go somewhere else.
In this day and age he could be politically correct and lie about it and then put you on hold for who knows how long.
Much better than, as some vendors do, just hang you up for months without any notification.
Well said, IMO !
And, for those who do not know and/or are not aware of V. Tardel, you may want to have a copy of his book (if it is still available). Very helpful if you are interested in flatheads and old timey rod art and practices.

Not everyone is concerned /interested in....speed of light contact/responses. And, there are still choices to go somewhere else.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #56
qmdv

Just deleted a post

Tim

Last edited by qmdv; 12-16-2017 at 04:42 PM.
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote