Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
sphanna

Default Air compressor for home shop

I no next to nothing about paint and air comressors. I may want to paint smaller items such as fenders or door panels. I had an old compressor that i found at garage sale. Have done small painting projects with it. It quit on me yesterday. Now looking for advice fo another compressor. I was thinking that the Ingersoll Rand 2HP 4.4 cfm would suffice. Model P1IU-A9 It is contractor grade twin stack and oil lubbed direct drive. Any advise is appreciated. Or recommendations.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
Big hammer

Default Re: Air compressor for home shop

Not enough CFMs one hit with impact and wait for pressure to build. Good for staple gun
Maybe good for air brushing. IMO 15 CFMs would be smallest I would buy
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Not enough CFMs one hit with impact and wait for pressure to build. Good for staple gun
Maybe good for air brushing. IMO 15 CFMs would be smallest I would buy
Yup. $1500 plus and you'll be set up even for light duty sandblasting.

Sorry, not to throw aspersions.

I have a sears red one - 5 hp (so they claim) and about 5.5 SCFM. DeVillbiss made these for Sears for many years. Also same compressor in the current DeWalt available today at HomeDepot. It will do any impact wrenching I want even using my 750ft-lb "SuperBertha." As for painting using my Binks No. 7 clone - its loafing. Maybe 30 percent duty cycle.

It will not sandblast. a 1/8" nozzle such as on my TIP one bagger requires a minimum of 7 SCFM. More is betterer. And nozzles wear quickly to the next size.

I would say your IR contractor compressor WILL paint - but you'll have problems with moisture. This a problem with small receiver tanks. You might try running the air through the old compressor tank (assuming you feel it's safe) simply to help remove moisture.

Or, if your old compressor isn't more than 20 years, likely you can find parts for it? The Internet is very much a help in these matters.

Replacement reed valves for the DeVillbiss/Sears are still around - but NOT at Sears. Check Amazon or even Ebay.

Joe K
Old 02-10-2015, 02:22 PM   #4
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
Get the largest compressor that you can without having to rewire your shop. I got the biggest one that would run on a 240v 30 amp breaker.
The 5 HP Ingersoll Rand from Tractor Supply puts out more air than other brand 5 HP compressors. It will easily run a paint gun and small sandblasters and bead blast cabinets. You will never regret getting the largest compressor that will fit in your shop.
I would not get one from Sears, because they are closing lots of stores every year, and in a few years they might all be closed. That would make getting parts very difficult.
I have the same one from the same place, A little over $900.00 on sale.. Works great on my Scat glass bead cabinet..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Here is the place I feel has the best deals on compressors;

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/

I own an Ingersoll Rand, and the only advice I would give is to see if you can afford to purchase one they say is manufactured in US simply because of the duty cycle. The off-shore units will work however they tend to "overrate" their specifications IMHO.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I have the same one from the same place, A little over $900.00 on sale.. Works great on my Scat glass bead cabinet..
1930 Coupes may be the single stage for about $700. Two stage is the way to go though for improved quantity of air for the same horsepower. More money too.

A 5 hp single stage will yield a little over 14SCFM. A 5 hp two stage will get you over 17SCFM.

I went though this recently when I comparative priced out compressors to replace (and augment) the Sears compressor. I finally settled on Harbor Freight finest ($799 list, but can be bought for $699 on sale sale) which I felt was the better buy for me.

Joe K
Old 02-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #7
30Murray

You can find a good compressor buying guide here. You may be shocked to see how much we have to pay for these in Canada....
https://www.kmstools.com/blog/wp-con...uyingGuide.pdf
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #8
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
1930 Coupes may be the single stage for about $700. Two stage is the way to go though for improved quantity of air for the same horsepower. More money too.

A 5 hp single stage will yield a little over 14SCFM. A 5 hp two stage will get you over 17SCFM.

I went though this recently when I comparative priced out compressors to replace (and augment) the Sears compressor. I finally settled on Harbor Freight finest ($799 list, but can be bought for $699 on sale sale) which I felt was the better buy for me.

Joe K
Correction; Mine is two stage 80 gallon tank..

Last edited by Fred; 02-10-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #9
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Agree all.
The compressor does more work in the shop than any one of us.

Regardless of what you end up with, for painting you will have moisture, oil vapor, and various other crud in your air that will fish-eye your paint when you get that far.

I strongly suggest a good quality filter that will not break the bank....just before your paint gun

We use the CamAir QC3. It has a moisture indicator, the cartridges are replaceable, and it removes oil vapor also. It is an entry level rig, but does what it is supposed to do. We can paint about 3 cars before changing the cartridge. We only run paint air thru it, as the air tools do not require filtration like this

TCP Global prolly has them
Old 02-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

Lotsa good info over on 'The Barns' sister publication, The Garage Journal http://www.garagejournal.com
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:13 PM   #11
oliverguy

I've been struggling with this for a while. I have a small IR I bought for $65 at an auction. It is a great machine but not big enough for sandblasting large items. I'm limited at 30 amps due to my wire size to my garage.

I've looked at old gas powered tow behind compressors, but the decent ones bring $2500 in our area. I'm scared to buy a non runner because of the rebuild costs if it turns out to be worn out, and really shouldn't pay more than scrap value because of that.

It seems for big jobs it's cheaper to have someone else do it or rent the equipment. If anyone comes up with an idea for a source of cheap air pressure I'd really be interested.
oliverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #12
George Miller

I'm still running my 1953 Westinghouse 2 stage 250 psi. not sure of the cfm.
My Dad had it in our repair garage. I have had it since 1972, have run it a lot.
It is leaking a little at the valves, but still works fine. I did have to replace the motor some years back.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

NEVER< NEVER< NEVER buy a direct drive OILLESS air compressor. They are a short life, throw away, noisey piece of crap. If someone gave me a brand new one I would set it by the curb for the junk man to haul away.

I've worn out a few twin cylinder single stage Sears compressors. They are 20 to 30 gallon tanks, and OK for airing up tires and very light sand blasting. The best money you can spend is to buy the best compressor you can afford. A 5 to 7.5 H.P. belt drive twin cylinder, two stage, 60 to 80 gallon tank, is what I should have bought many years ago. This is especially true if you do sandblasting.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #14
holdover

I have two of these
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60-...602H/205389936
  • CFM at 40 psi is 13.4 and CFM at 90 psi is 11.5
  • Large capacity, 60 gal. ASME tank with 155 max PSI provides more air for longer run times on air tools such as ratchets, impacts, spray guns, hammers, etc.
first one I bought for 399.00, second one was 329 on sale because they were changing to Black ones from red. Instead of paying 1K+ and putting all my eggs in one basket, I went this direction. They have valves that I can run one or both at the same time, and can isolate each one. For light duty stuff I usually alternate the one I use. For most home garages one of them may do all you want. They are belt drive and not as noisy as direct drive. With 120 gal of reserve there has never been a time I run out of air. they have been running now for 5 years with no problems. I do a lot of painting and almost all my tools work off of air, if you are going to paint invest in a good water/oil filter. Your mileage may vary....

Last edited by holdover; 02-10-2015 at 04:44 PM.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #15
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Tom,

I'd be careful with announcing placing brand new Sears compressors out by your front curb ........... you might have more Model A's passing in front of your house than you would ever think is possible.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #16
Joe K

Quote:
It seems for big jobs it's cheaper to have someone else do it or rent the equipment. If anyone comes up with an idea for a source of cheap air pressure I'd really be interested.
Combine your Model A hobby with the means to restore it.

Meet Mr. Gordon and Mr. Smith's contribution to the hobby.

Not mine. I had my pix as avatar for a while.

Will blow up to about a 1/4" nozzle (about 40SCFM)

Your neighbors will LOVE you after the first 8 hours of blasting.

Joe K
Old 02-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #17
Tinbasher

CFM. is what it's all about. A spray gun will take 12 CFM and a sand blaster will take 25 CFM. Get a good two stage that will do the job and you won't be sorry. Most people I work with have these little compressors and all you do is wait for it to get up to pressure instead of working.

The Old Tinbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:18 PM   #18
sphanna

I appreciate all the comments. I think i need to emphasize that i do not have an active shop. I perhaps will never paint car. Maybe something small no bigger than a door panel size or metal trunk like a Kerri Keen trunk. I care not if takes longer to do. I simply cannot justify paying for comercial quality price. Is there a a compressor that could be used as I've indicated that could be purchased for not more than about 500.00 or am I just delusional. I normally use compressor for basic shop tasks such as solvent parts cleaning, tires, small air powered impact tools, etc. Just would like to be able to paint with my inexpensive wagner gravity feed sprayer if need arises. You think iIcan find something?
Old 02-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

I'm using an older Wards two cylinder single stage 110 volt 2 H.P. compressor that I bought on Craigslist for $40. It's actually a very good compressor and I can sandblast steady at 40 lbs. pressure. It's not really made for non stop use, so I give it a rest between blasting parts. I've found some real bargains on Craigslist.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #20
sphanna

Thx Tom. That is encouraging. Need something that is not pro but can do it by giving it time to recover. I'm not in a rush. I'm happily retired. Would like to find something adequate but not much more so I can afford it.