Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2021, 06:09 PM   #1
Lefthander1930

Default My Zenith

Nice day today, was going to gas up & the gas gauge show 0. Got it started while running I notice gas dripping to the floor. Got a mirror & seen gas leaking from a small hole on the bottom ?? Float stuck or not adjusted correct ? As always looking for help .
Lefthander1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:58 PM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: My Zenith

Could be the float stuck. Did you run the carb dry at the end of the last drive?
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:33 PM   #3
nkaminar

There can be a little flake of rust or other crud that is stuck in the float valve. Run the carb dry as Bob said and then turn the gasoline back on. The valve will be fully open and the gasoline can possibly flush the crud out. It if continues to leak, you will have to take the carb apart to check the float valve and possibly replace it. While you are in there, shake to float to see if it has gasoline in it which would indicate that it has a leak and needs to be replaced.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:40 PM   #4
Lefthander1930

Thumbs up Re: My Zenith

Good advise running it dry & or taking it off to check the float. What about a inline filter between the shut off valve & the carb ??
Lefthander1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:23 PM   #5
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefthander1930 View Post
Good advise running it dry & or taking it off to check the float. What about a inline filter between the shut off valve & the carb ??
More filters is almost always good, but remember you already have at least two and maybe three - the sediment bowl and fine filter therein, the inlet filter in the carburetor, and perhaps a pencil filter on top of your tank gas valve. Too many filters on a gravity system and pretty soon you're not flowing any fuel.

It might not be a bad idea to take your carb apart and see if there is rust within on the castings. I've found quite a bit can build up on the inlet fitting, the interior of the chamber the carb screen fits in, and also in the bowl itself. An inline fuel filter won't help you with that. You may need to let the parts dry out completely to see it since rust darkens with liquid. EvapoRust or Rust911 to the rescue! And don't forget to chase all the air passages with wire while you have it apart.

If you do end up replacing the float valve, think about spending a couple of extra bucks on the neoprene-tipped version, seems to seal a bit better.

Another way (very old school, the way my Dad taught me) to check the integrity of the float itself is to immerse it into a saucepan of boiling water. Bubbles indicate a leak... (don't do this on a "modern" plastic float, this is for brass/copper floats only).

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote