Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
OLD AS I

Default HELP ....... Wiring questions

Am about to wire my engine and wanting to run it while on an engine stand. Don't want to burn anything out due to wrong connects. Have made a wiring diagram posted here and a picture of the generator terminals.
Concerns, ........ looking at the diagram does the connection of the coil battery terminal go to the I terminal of the push/pull switch OR to the line coming from the starter solenoid ?
Concern, ........ connecting A and F terminals of the regulator, assuming its field to field and other one to the A terminal. See picture of generator attached, is the top terminal the B terminal and would that connect to the A terminal on the regulator and the bottom terminal the field terminal and connect to the F terminal on the regulator. What's the terminal on the end of the generator for ? where does it connect ?
Thanks for any comments
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Generator.jpg (49.9 KB, 36 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wiring.pdf (1.08 MB, 67 views)
OLD AS I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: HELP ....... Wiring questions

Your wiring diagram appears to have multiple problems! If I understand your switch you have inputs and outputs mixed up.

B is where the battery / generator connects and the only place they connect, this is the input to the switch.

I (correction) is a hot feed to the coil that is hot in both the crank and run position.

A is an accessory feed, an output that is not needed.

S is an output that provides power to the starter solenoid to energize the starter, BUT it depends on the starter solenoid you are using!!!! From your drawing it looks like you are using a stock type starter solenoid and it DOES NOT work this way.

This is just the start, there are several other issues with your wiring drawing.

1.) The coil requires something to switch it on and off and it requires a resistor. The I terminal on the switch does say "hot with the key in run and crank position" so that might work.

2.) Need to establish what type of starter solenoid you are using, it my require a ground to make it work with a push button to activate the starter OR if my require a hot source to activate it.

3.) Not sure why the wire from the starter solenoid is shown coming out the bottom of it, I do not know of any solenoid that works this way. The connection should be to the same terminal that the battery connects to.

4.) The wire to the B terminal on the switch should connect to this same terminal and nothing else! NOT to the S terminal and not to the coil.

5.) The starter solenoid may or many not require a ground according to the type it is.

So, need to determine a few things:

1.) What voltage 6 or 12 volt?

2.) Neg or pos ground system?

3.) What type of starter solenoid?

Last edited by JSeery; 02-28-2017 at 03:40 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
40cpe

You will surely want the ignition hot wire switched to the "I" terminal of the switch. You may or may not need a resistor between the Ignition switch and the coil. If your starter solenoid has an "I" terminal, it goes to the coil to bypass the resistor and provide full voltage to the coil during cranking.

Your generator doesn't have to be connected to run on a test stand. It can just serve as an idler for the water pump belt.

Last edited by 40cpe; 02-28-2017 at 03:29 PM.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

On the generator, as 40cpe stated it is not required, but if you do want use it your connections on the drawing do not appear to be correct. The two connections on the side should be Field and Ground and the connection on the end should be the ARM. But need to verify the generator you are using.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gen - Reg.jpg (27.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Generator Diagram.jpg (26.6 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 02-28-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:26 PM   #5
OLD AS I

thanks for the quick comments here, see Ive got a lot to look at and correct, glad I didnt "turn the key"
Old 03-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
OLD AS I

Adding picture of starter solenoid used
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Solenoid.pdf (435.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 03-01-2017, 11:31 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Ok, that is a ground to activate starter solenoid. The type of starter solenoid you are using requires a ground to activate it and you could use a pushbutton for this. One side of the pushbutton connects to the starter solenoid center lug and the other side will have to be grounded to the block (as will the battery ground).

The second diagram is a wiring diagram without the generator connected. With either setup the ignition switch you are showing is really not needed as it is only functioning as a toggle switch and just complicates things, you really can't use any of the other functions on it.

I would use a momentary pushbutton for the starter and a toggle switch for the ignition switch.

You need to add a stock type resistor for the coil (assuming it is an original type of coil or similar).

All the grounds need to connect back to the engine block.

And don't leave the ignition switch on except when the engine is being started or running.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diagram.jpg (35.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Diagram2.jpg (22.7 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 03-01-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:42 AM   #8
dwick01

Electronically challenged lurker here. Love your sketches/pictures, JSeery. Simplifies everything. Just wanted to say thank you for sharing. I have a special file that I save things in such as this for future reference. This kind of information comes in handy more than people know.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

As an update, Oldasi pointed out that the starter solenoid has the pushbutton in the bottom of it. That can be used to engage the starter and the additional pushbutton to ground would not be required.

Just noticed you are from Wellington, not far way!
Old 03-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #10
OLD AS I

dwick01, am collecting all such pieces when they get posted here, this info from JSeery has really helped me and thank him for it and thanks to others that have replied to my postings, this site is better than the GREEN BIBLE I think
Old 03-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #11
OLD AS I

One final question here, looking at the attached generator picture the terminals on the side of the generator show a letter B and the word FIELD but they are not opposite the terminals. You have to look closely to see the letter B. Rather then assume the top terminal is the B one and the bottom one is the FIELD how can I confirm which is which ? ?
Also looking at JSeery diagram attached here also, he shows the top terminal of my generator connecting to the FIELD on the voltage regulator, again how can I check these terminals on the generator to be sure which is which ? ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Generator.jpg (49.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg JSeery diagram.jpg (35.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #12
40cpe

All diagrams and all the generators I have seen have the field terminal on top on the side and the ground terminal on the bottom on the side. The armature is on the end and has a larger terminal. How is YOUR generator marked?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldasi View Post
One final question here, looking at the attached generator picture the terminals on the side of the generator show a letter B and the word FIELD but they are not opposite the terminals. You have to look closely to see the letter B. Rather then assume the top terminal is the B one and the bottom one is the FIELD how can I confirm which is which ? ?
I guess I really don't see the issue here, looks clear to me which lug the FIELD is associated with. No idea what the B relates to, but is should be obvious that the top lug, the one identified as FIELD, is the FIELD terminal.

See if a diagram helps. FIELD, GRD & ARM are identified.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Generator.jpg (100.6 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 03-02-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:08 PM   #14
dwick01

Yep, just about 25 miles south of you JSeery.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote