Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2021, 06:12 PM   #1
kirkf

Default 50-52 Truck Bed

Does anyone have a copy of the original blue prints for the 50-52 F1 Truck bed?

I would love to see the actual measurements of the bed and its boards as it was designed.

What were the original real board dimensions, and what was the actual gap between boards as designed?

I've tried running it through on CAD and I can't get a number that works.

Kirk
kirkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:57 PM   #2
rawlir

Default Re: 50-52 Truck Bed

Are you looking for info on a half ton pickup bed?
rawlir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:02 PM   #3
Pdstark

I have the 1/2 ton ‘51 and put a new bed in myself using a kit and it fit perfectly. Maybe if you contact any of the places that make the kits they’ll have some specific numbers for you since they need to build them.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:11 PM   #4
kirkf

I'm actually looking for the specific blueprints from Ford.

I'd like to know the exact dimensions they specified for the box and the boards.

I've seen quite a few aftermarket drawings, none of which are clear on the gap between boards, exact board dimensions, placement of holes in the cross supports, etc.

Kirk
Old 03-01-2021, 10:15 PM   #5
Scotty's 52 F3

There's a few truck guys here but, if you don't get the info you're looking for, try the FTE forum as well. I think I've seen the drawings you're looking for posted there.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:36 PM   #6
Ross F-1

I've never seen factory blueprints for the beds or the boards. There is a lot of slop as far as board spacing goes.

BTW, 51-52 are slightly different from the flat-sided late-'50's, they have a 3rd anchor bolt towards the front, and a different cross-piece for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bed Bolts front.jpg (57.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-02-2021, 01:05 AM   #7
GB SISSON

As a career woodworker and ford truck fixer, I say it has to do with the moisture content and species of wood you have on hand. I have seen kiln dried wood beds buckle like the rocky mountains when left in the rain to swell. I only use air dried wood, as boatbuilders have ALWAYS done. I would never use red oak for a truck bed. I don't think any manufacturer ever did. It's structure is like a fist-full of hollow straws wicking up water. White oak is much better , but the manufacturers used a resinous type wood, yellow pine for example because it was already pitchey and didn't soak up water. If I had a choice it would be locust, and if I had DEEP pockets it would be teak. They say that to this day the teak decks on the Titanic are like new.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:25 AM   #8
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
As a career woodworker and ford truck fixer, I say it has to do with the moisture content and species of wood you have on hand. I have seen kiln dried wood beds buckle like the rocky mountains when left in the rain to swell. I only use air dried wood, as boatbuilders have ALWAYS done. I would never use red oak for a truck bed. I don't think any manufacturer ever did. It's structure is like a fist-full of hollow straws wicking up water. White oak is much better , but the manufacturers used a resinous type wood, yellow pine for example because it was already pitchey and didn't soak up water. If I had a choice it would be locust, and if I had DEEP pockets it would be teak. They say that to this day the teak decks on the Titanic are like new.

Or maybe Apitong?
Old 03-02-2021, 12:30 PM   #9
kirkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I am definitely not a 'Wood' guy. So working with something even as simple as bed boards has been a challenge. I'm making up a set of test boards with crap softwood first so I can test my dimensions before moving on to an expensive wood.
I took a piece of my existing bed to a person who works with wood, and after analyzing it, he says it is Canadian Hard Maple. Which makes sense, as that would have been common as dirt in Windsor Ontario in the 1950s.

Back then there was no cross border sharing of parts between Ford Canada and Ford USA. Every single part of a truck in Canada, right down to the stickers and light bulbs was "Made In Canada".

Now the tough question is, when I figure this all out, if I cut a new bed from Maple, will I have the guts to do the right thing and spray it with body colour paint as it was done originally from the factory...

Kirk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-05-05 11.50.12.jpg (52.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-05-05 11.50.00.jpg (46.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-02-2021, 12:16 PM   #10
kirkf

My problem is that i'm trying to figure out the dimensions used for the boards and the spacing for a Canadian truck.
Unfortunately in Canada, the building that housed all that information burned down in the 1960s. So it is unobtanium.
If I can find a copy of the USA blueprint, it would let me know what they designed the gap to be, and what they expected the total dimensional width to be.

In Canada the beds are more complex than the USA. Between mid 1950 and 1952 they used a bed with nine boards of three sizes.

Based on the holes in the cross braces and samples of existing wood I've come up with a drawing that will work.

However if I make a drawing of a USA bed, with 8 boards, 5 3/4" wide and 7/16" spacing between the boards, I get a dimensional width of 49 1/16"

On my Canadian Bed using Edge boards of 5 1/2", middle boards of 4 3/4" and center board of 5 3/4" with a total of 9 boards and gaps of 7/16" I have a dimensional width of 48 3/4"

Its reasonable to assume, that despite the difference in boards, that the total width should be the same between USA and Canada. So one of these two sets of dimensions has an error in it.

If I could locate a copy of the original blueprint drawing used by Ford in the USA, I think it would solve the issue.

Quite a few people have asked me why I care about this, and the answer is simply that I have spent a ridiculous amount of time figuring out the 9 board Canadian spacing, and at this point I just want it to be right.

Kirk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDN_BED.jpg (40.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg USA_BED.jpg (28.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-02-2021, 01:04 PM   #11
38bill

The hold down bolts that hold the metal strips down should dictate the width of the wood boards. The gaps between the boards only need to be big enough to clear the hold down bolts. Measure the center to center of the holes in the subframe and deduct the allowance for the gap and you should have your board widths.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1 Pick-up Bed Dimensions 1.jpg (48.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg f-1chart.jpg (92.6 KB, 18 views)
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:01 PM   #12
kirkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38bill View Post
The hold down bolts that hold the metal strips down should dictate the width of the wood boards. The gaps between the boards only need to be big enough to clear the hold down bolts. Measure the center to center of the holes in the subframe and deduct the allowance for the gap and you should have your board widths.
Yes, That's basically what I've done, however I've come across the curious fact that when I apply this method to both USA and CDN beds, I do not come up with the same dimensions.

Here are the two calculations:

(8 * 5 3/4) + (7 * 7/16) = 49.0625 (USA)

(2 * 5 1/2) + (6 * 4 3/4) + (1 * 5 3/4) + (8 * 7/16) = 48.75 (CDN)

That's 5/16th difference. Not a number I could easily add across the two outside boards.

In 1950 an engineer somewhere drew this up on a blueprint, and it would seem unlikely that he drew up odd numbers that don't divide equally on either side of the bed.
That leaves the possibility that his dimensions were taken from different points on the drawing, or that he assumed a different gap, or different board width.
When handed off to the wood shop, or an external company to provide the wood, I would assume it was basic, simple dimensions on the wood itself.

And again it would seem odd that the engineered width between USA and Canada were not the same, when the steel dimensions were the same.

See attached snip of the bed cross support (cdn)

Kirk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BedCrossSupportCDN.jpg (16.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-02-2021, 06:15 PM   #13
fifty-one f-1

I don't know if this helps, but maybe call Bruce Horkey at horkeyswoodandparts.com 507-831-5625. He makes and sells bed kits for our trucks. Nice guy
fifty-one f-1 is offline   Reply With Quote