Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #1
grantsauder

Default 30 Tudor Top Install

I'm Trying to install a new top. I have had the top material on the car for several months in a heated shop to stretch the top for final fit by hanging gallon jugs ,half full, to do this.I have never put a top on in my life and have only one man to help me to do the gluing and tacking. I figure it will take two or three days to do all the tacking and installing the gutters and trim. I'm using the original gutters and trim. Are there any problems in leaving the top partially done each day? What spacing should the tacks be? I can only use the heated shop 8:30 to 3:00 each week day. Your advice and comments would be very much appreciated. Thank you. Grant
grantsauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
duke36

Default Re: 30 Tudor Top Install

My experience was in the 1970's installing a tudor top, etc. Because of the tudor rear corners and lapping over the metal sides, suggest if possible put the material out in the sun and let it heat up, which may be warmer than the shop. A few tacks at the mid points first and then stretch to the corners. Should try to do this and completing the tacking of the top material in 1 day . Don't remember exactly the tacking spacing but probably was every 3rd or 4th hole which allows (other) holes to be available for the inner gutter pieces tacks. We used masking tape on the body to mark the existing holes in the gutter base strip to avoid those for the top. No gluing was used with the short/long grain material but we used a black sealant under the basetrim. Hope you get some more up to date responses. We did mask off the top and body to paint the metal gutters after installation was complete.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
Bob C

Have you looked at Marco's site? http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/roofinstall-1.htm

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
grantsauder

Bob: I have a copy of this top instructions and how to, but still have questions on the tacks, glue, and nailing the rain gutters and closure strips front and back. Thanks. Grant
grantsauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:46 PM   #5
Barber31

I used Marcos site as a guide on my '31 Tudor. Installed by myself in a few hours. Took my time and just worked it a little at a time.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:59 PM   #6
Barber31

Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote