Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2021, 11:22 AM   #1
slatgrille

Default opinions on 'lifts'

I'm looking to buy a scissor lift to use for my Model A, WWII jeeps, '48 Plymouth and daily drivers. Since they'll all different sizes and weights, I would like to know opinions from those of you who have these type lifts in your garage.

Are the low rise lifts high enough? I was leaning towards the mid rise lifts, but don't need over-kill for height. The unit would be used for any brake work, oil changes, undercar repairs, etc. I only have 110V wired into the shop.

Which ones can be shipped directly to a residence? How heavy are they to move around?

I'm tired of using jacks/stands and am looking for advice is all. Thanks for any input you might have.

Craig
slatgrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:07 PM   #2
wmarcy528

Default Re: opinions on 'lifts'

I purchased a Quick jack for the same purpose and only have 110/120. Works great for my needs.

https://www.quickjack.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wmarcy528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:22 PM   #3
Model A Ron

Four Post backyard Buddy. Very well made and it works on my full size modern Pickup as well as my A and T. It does cost more but it's worth the money over the cheep unsafe China lifts that are on the market.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:37 PM   #4
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarcy528 View Post
I purchased a Quick jack for the same purpose and only have 110/120. Works great for my needs.

https://www.quickjack.com/

I have a Quick Jack, but I’ve never used it on my Model A. I’ve never figured a way to find usable jack points on the Model A.

shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:15 PM   #5
T Scott

The scissor lift will work well for brake work, tire changes, and general work around the perimeter of the vehicle but access under the car is extremely poor do to the lift's structure. They are also cumbersome to move around. The rear "feet" are fitted with rollers and the front is picked up and steered with the hydraulic unit which doubles as a hand truck. They are also not Model A friendly since with the A's frame being tucked up under the running board apron, vertical risers must be positioned for selected lift points. This is ok if you don't mind lying on your back to do this but that kind of negates the purpose of the lift. Buy a four poster. Your back will thank you!!
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:16 AM   #6
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Scott View Post
They are also not Model A friendly since with the A's frame being tucked up under the running board apron, vertical risers must be positioned for selected lift points. This is ok if you don't mind lying on your back to do this but that kind of negates the purpose of the lift.
Very nicely said. This is the issue I found with the Quick Jack on my Model A.

shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:45 AM   #7
LeonardS

I agree with purchasing a 4 post lift…..if you have the space for it. I have had 7 lifts. 1 was USA made and 6 were Chinese lifts. I have seen no quality differences. All of them had Baldor electric motors on the pumps. I currently have 3 lifts and they are the Chinese ones with extra length, width and height.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:26 AM   #8
77Birdman

No experience but have read a lot about these. The quick jack looks great for what it is. Somewhat portable ( I have read it can be heavy and cumbersome to move around), and easy to use. BUT, the one guy I know of that has one has said the same about access under the car. It is very limited with a 70's car. The price point of a decent 4 post lift is really not all that much more than a quick jack. Save for another month or two, skip a couple of trips to starbucks and youre there.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:12 AM   #9
Kurt in NJ

If you want to work underneath-- say take out transmission you want one you can stand under,
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:46 PM   #10
slatgrille

Thanks for the opinions so far guys! I don't have the space or ceiling height for 4 post models. I'm also not sure of the floor thickness nor psi to mount anchors for the 2 post lift, that's why I'm leaning towards the scissor type. This is primarily for brake jobs and oil changes...maybe some exhaust work. My Mazda 3, Ford Fusion and '48 Plymouth would get most use out of it as the A and my jeeps have higher ground clearance.

low-rise or mid-rise seems to be the dilemma now...

Craig
Old 07-19-2021, 01:57 PM   #11
noboD

I think my two post only required 4 inches. I have about 9.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:34 PM   #12
wwirz

I have a 4 post lift and I feel very safe under it. I changed the muffler today using the lift and it was a breeze.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:24 PM   #13
T Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatgrille View Post
Thanks for the opinions so far guys! I don't have the space or ceiling height for 4 post models. I'm also not sure of the floor thickness nor psi to mount anchors for the 2 post lift, that's why I'm leaning towards the scissor type. This is primarily for brake jobs and oil changes...maybe some exhaust work. My Mazda 3, Ford Fusion and '48 Plymouth would get most use out of it as the A and my jeeps have higher ground clearance.

low-rise or mid-rise seems to be the dilemma now...

Craig
I don't want to be a wet blanket but attempting to perform exhaust work on a scissor lift will be met with extreme frustration. I have a scissor lift. It's a great tool for my limited ceiling height shop and I use it constantly but access to the underside of the car, particularly the mid section is next to impossible. Even with that downside attribute, it's still better than no lift at all.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:34 PM   #14
redmodelt

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...9976&showall=1
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294343
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271781
https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10295
and there are more...
Old 07-20-2021, 11:15 AM   #15
katy

Perhaps a baylift, if you can find one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baylift.jpg (7.5 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-20-2021, 08:43 PM   #16
noboD

And all of you have missed his comment in the first statement. He's tired of jack stands, wants to buy a scissor lift. SO are you planning to just crawl under without jack stands after lifting it?
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #17
Keith True

I have spent a lot of time crouched under cars using those things.A little body shop I worked for in the late 70's still has two divots in the ceiling from the fins of my 57 Chevy.The Model A balances quite nicely on two of those.The A is narrow,and the shape of the axles tends to want to stay centered on the lift arms.I have put an A on two of those with the axles at eye level,and shook the car as hard as I could.Very stable.I still have one around,but I haven't used it since I got a lift about 25 years ago.They do take up room in a garage though.If I still did rust work it would be living in the garage.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:59 AM   #18
77Birdman

A bit on the pricey side but the quick jack/lift looks interesting. Portable 2 post lift for low ceiling heights. I would be a bit skeptical about lifting a car with something portable like that but I am sure an engineer somewhere has figured the thing out!
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:10 AM   #19
slatgrille

I'll still brace the vehicle with stands, but it'll be easier all at once rather than jacking individual points.

Saw an ad for a 'pivot' lift that uses a drill to raise. Once in the air, a stand can be placed under the end your working on.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:23 PM   #20
slatgrille

Just wanted to let those who offered opinions know that I went with the Quick Jack 7000lb capacity low rise system. Have used it twice so far with no issues while changing the oil in my '11 Mazda and '48 Plymouth. Saved $400 on it by getting a 'refurbished' (open box) one that was basically set up for me with all the connections pre-assembled, and even the hydraulic oil in the pump. Works like a charm so far....

Craig