Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2023, 03:55 PM   #1
Lamar Wadsworth

Default '55 Ford car rear U joint

Replacing a rear U joint on Ozelle the '55 Ford. Got a new U joint from Advance, Moog brand, has the G-shaped spring clips that lock it in the yoke. Looks like what the shop manual shows. However, the driveshaft that I know to be original to the car (parents bought the car new) does not have the spring clips locking the joint in the yoke. Don't see anything locking it in, the caps appear to be a press fit. How does it come apart? What gives?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230630_161518.jpg (31.8 KB, 26 views)
Lamar Wadsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 04:02 PM   #2
1930artdeco

Default Re: '55 Ford car rear U joint

If I remember right they are press fit. Push one side out and then other. But it has been awhile since I saw that style.
Old 06-30-2023, 06:47 PM   #3
fordyford

There should be C clips on the inside. You probably got the wrong part.
fordyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 07:41 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

The factory '55 Ford rear joint employs end caps that bolt on to the pinion yoke. The factory did use metal locking clips to keep the bolts from backing out after installation. The end caps have needle bearings inside just like the round caps that fit in the end of the driveshaft.
Show us a picture of the new U-joint you got and we can tell you if it is the right part.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 08:56 AM   #5
Lamar Wadsworth

The problem is that the U joint that is on the driveshaft now doesn't have the clips that lock it into the yoke on the end of the driveshaft. Driveshaft is original to the car and U joint has never been replaced. Shop manual shows the clips, with it being easy to push the end caps out of the yoke when the clips are removed. But I can't find any clips or provision for clips on the U joint that is in the yoke on the end of the driveshaft. They appear to be a pressed in and I haven't figured out how to get them out. Trying to figure out why mine (the one currently on the driveshaft) doesn't have the clips like the shop manual shows and like the replacement joint does.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:23 PM   #6
Daves55Sedan

The '55/56 Fords used U-joints that had C'clips on the INSIDE of the driveshaft loops for the u-joint caps.
In order to remove the clips, I have always used a straight blade screwdriver (A SMALL ONE).
At some point, I took an old screwdriver and ground the blade down on it to make it easier to pluck the C-clips out and have used that screwdriver ONLY for that purpose since. But I have several sets of good screwdrivers and several nut-drivers, so I could afford to do that.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:34 PM   #7
Daves55Sedan

BTW, '56 was the last year for the inner C-clips. In '57 and beyond they went to outer cap clips which were a ton easier to remove just using needle-nosed pliers. Mechanics back then probably thought it was the greatest invention ever, and it was a vast improvement, but U-joints properly greased periodically shouldn't have to be removed (especially not within the timeframe they intended for the car to be replaced with a newer model).
I'm convinced that the innovation to design outer clips was driven by Fords own dealership mechanics to save time and trouble in getting old U-joints out. Not to mention there were millions of gas stations back then that had two or more service bays doing stuff like that all day long. Back in those days you could go to the gas station, get a valve-job, get a fill-up and get your car back the day after next.
Old 07-02-2023, 09:56 PM   #8
Lamar Wadsworth

Will take another look at it tomorrow. I had just assumed the clips would be on the outside. Like they say on the railroad, many good men died from assumption.