Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
39portlander

Question "FUN" with cab wood....

It's somewhat easy to repair/re-build something mechanical. This cab wood is kicking my A**! Compared my old wood to the new wood and the holes align well and the taper, width and height seem good.

Got my cab bolt kit from Roy Nacewicz and the problem is the rear bolt's are abit short to add the spring. Looking up @ the squared area that the center chanel rests on, have about a 1/4" gap and could drop down about 1/4". Thinking this will settle the cab on the wood closer but concerned about fit later of hood,doors ect.

Roy had mentioned the lengths for my kit are based on the diff. repro-wood that has been produced over the years and it was all over the place. Asking should I pull my repro-wood and level/square them to my old wood first and shim as needed? Any input would be great
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: "FUN" with cab wood....

When we mounted our cab we had a heck of a time getting the cab to set down on the cab wood. Under that cab there is a piece of metal that must fit into a goove cut in the wood blocks. I had to pull the blocks out and use a saw to widen that goove in the wood blocks to that the cab would set down on the blocks and the frame. We did not have to shim under the cab for door fit/alignment. You many check to see if your cab is setting down on the wood blocks into that groove perfectly.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
39portlander

Thank's Seth, re-blocked my cab and pulled the new wood and used a straight edge and level to see what is my problem

That groove your talkin about is about the correct depth that I am off. I did not pay that much attention and just made sure the holes lined up and the radius and width were good on the new stuff. Hey, If we don't learn something new every day what good is it. Thank's. Scott
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
55 dude

from what i measured the cab wood tapers out and up 10 degrees in the front which is pretty slight but just enough to be a pain. what is your repro wood kit produced with?
55 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Mike in Mass

hey Scott I ended up getting longer bolts for the back ,it was impossible to compress the spring enough to get the bolt on ,,,, geez I must have got lucky ,my cab went right on ,no problem with the wood course I don,t remember who I got them from . I have the old set ,little crisby on the ends,I was going to chuck them ,but I saved them when sombody on here wanted them for templates . I told him I wanted 15 bucks to ship them , an never heard back , you can have them if you want mp
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote