Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
1928ar

Default power house generator not charging

i havent had my car out yet this year yet due to no time i started it today and let it run for a bit and noticed the generator wasnt charging it is a 5 brush power house and it was charging when i put it away last year do i need to repolorize it or should i start somewhere else thanks in advance jim
1928ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
TK in LA

Default Re: power house generator not charging

Might check the cut-out and also pop the back cover and be sure all the springs are still good. My2¢
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I would jump a wire across the two cutout terminals for one second to polarize it and see if it will charge. If not, then jump across the same two terminals while the engine is running, to bypass the cutout, and see if it's now charging.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
1928ar

i tryed polarizing it this morning and it still didnt charge i put a jumper across the cut out when it was running the wire sparked when it made contact and the needle jumped a little bit but then went back to zero and when i turn the lights on it goes to negative so ill check the brushes and go from there thanks for the help
Old 07-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
1928ar

tom the generator is not charging i checked the brushes and the springs and they seem fine is there a way to check the armature and the feild coils with an electrical tester thanks in advance jim
Old 07-05-2011, 01:35 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Lift the field brush away from the armature, or just disconnect the field wire from the adjustable brush. Then connect a 6 volt battery charger to the case and field wire that goes to the adjustable brush. The battery charger should show 2 to 3 amps draw at 6 volts.

Use care around the brush holder, as they are fragile and not reproduced. You'll need to remove the brush holder and armature to test the armature on a growler. If you don't have a growler, maybe someone in your local club does. If the field checks out good, chances are the armature is bad.

To remove the armature just remove the brush holder and armature bolt, then screw in a longer 1/4 x 28 bolt, like about an inch long. Then hold the commutator to hold the generator just off the table and hit the new bolt you screwed into the armature shaft. Usually one or two hammer taps will loosen the armature.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:02 AM   #7
widebed 31

HI1928ar i had this problem with my powerhouse. Have a close look at the armature, is there a build up of carbon from the brushs? if there is hold a piece of fine sand paper wrapped around the end of a small screwdriver and polish the armature to remove the black carbon dust. I had to do this quite regularly, could have been poor quality brushs
widebed 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:49 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Here is another posible problem, though the chance of having it is slim. I've only seen the ground post to brush plate mounting steel frame have a poor connection twice. This poor connection will result in reduced or no output. To eliminate the possiblity of a problem I now solder the ground posts, as seen in this picture.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
1928ar

ok ill give it a try tomorrow if i have a chance and ill let you know how i make out thanks for the help
Old 07-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
1928ar

i looked at the armature today and there was alot of carbon build up on it i cleaned it off and hooked it up to my cordless drill and used a test light and it is working again is this a common problem or old junky brushes that i got with it and a few others and i put a set together to get it working thanks again for all the help jim
Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

That isn't a common problem. I restored my powerhouse about 10 years ago and added my EVR and haven't touched it and haven't had the cover off since. I do night and day driving and run the fan belt with 1 1/2" play half way between the fan and generator.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 07-06-2011 at 10:29 PM.