Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
steve40490

Default 50 custom

I bought a 50 custon that the engine has not been started in five years. What should I do before cranking this engine ?
steve40490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
4dFord/SC

Default Re: 50 custom

Make sure it's got gas, oil, and a charged battery, hit the switch, and see what happens. The results will determine subsequent actions.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
marko39

I would not use gas from the tank until you get all the old stuff out. Then use non ethonal if you can get it. Warm it up good and change the oil.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
19Fordy

Double check and make sure there is oil in the engine.

Remove the plugs and squirt some oil inside the cylinders before cranking the engine.

Some may disagree, but, I would add a squirt of starting fluid down the carb. before cranking.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
tubman

Actually, for a car that has been sitting that long, I would try a breaker bar on the crankshaft pulley first to see if it is "stuck". Hitting it with the starter right away may break something. Even worse, if it actually started and there were some stuck valves, something might also break. After you find out if it is "stuck" or not, you several ways to go. All of them involve removing the spark plugs and introducing a solvent/lubricant into the cylnders.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:09 AM   #6
flatford8

If it does turn, have plenty of penetrant/ lube in the spark plug holes that has been mentioned. Make sure your getting compression on all cylinders to be sure of no stuck valves. If you get to the point of cranking with the starter, do it with the plugs out and a mechanical oil pressure gauge hooked up to be sure your getting oil pressure before starting. We like pictures!!!!....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #7
5851a

Some oil in cylinders first, crank by hand. I wouldn't think a little 2 cycle mix in the gas would hurt for extra lube. Started Grandmothers car that had been setting for years inside, was good cared for car. It ran for about 30 seconds and seized up, cylinders and rings were dry.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
drolston

First be sure it is not completely frozen. You should be able to turn the engine with an 18" breaker bar on the crank nut. Do not use a longer extension, as you can shear the crank snout. If the car is in a position where it has room to move, you can rock it has room back and forth in high gear to turn the engine. Takes a couple of hefty helpers. Maybe get it rolling a foot or two and pop the clutch. Someone keep an eye on the fan to confirm engine rotates. If it is truly locked, the clutch will slip enough to prevent breaking something.

Once you know it is not hard locked up, pull the plugs, put some oil in each cylinder and crank with the starter. If it will crank, run a compression check first to be sure all cylinders will pull at least some pressure. If you have any near zero readings, you probably have stuck valves, and you do not want to actually start it until those are freed up. You also want to see the oil pressure gauge at least come off of zero while cranking with the plugs out (you have to have the ignition switch on for that test).

With at least a little compression and oil pressure, fire away. Some starting fluid is not a bad idea.

Good luck!
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #9
lonewolf

Pics of the car please.
lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:57 AM   #10
Bill S

I would take the plugs out and see if the engine will turn with a breaker bar. If so spray some oil in each cylinder and turn the engine over a few times before replacing the plug so that you do not get lock up.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote