Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
Brian in Wheeling

Default headlight connectors

What do you all do for H/L connections? I've had fits and shorts with the repos parts, been able to modify them to get more reliability, but my buddy just hard wires them with separate bullet connectors. Can anybody make a correct part?

Brian
29 Tudor
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
1930 coupe

Default Re: headlight connectors

The reproduction headlight sockets made in the last 10 years will work if they are installed properly. If your reproduction sockets are over 10 years old you need to get some new sockets. Most of the wiring harness sold today have the wrong terminal ends on them going to the headlights. Bratton's sells wiring harness with the correct terminals.

TO WORK CORRECTLY AND NOT SHORT OUT, YOUR TERMINALS MUST BE FLAT ON THE END AND THE CORRECT LENGTH.

The connector on the left shows the WRONG TERMINAL that most of the wiring harness come with, THESE WILL SHORT OUT because they are too long and not flat on the end. They will push too hard on the pins in the socket and cause them to slide off the terminal to the side and short out.

The connector on the right shows the correct terminals that are sold by Bratton's, you can install the correct terminals or file your old terminals to the correct length .687" or 11/16" and flat on the end as shown in the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg connector 01.jpg (164.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg connector 02.jpg (40.0 KB, 53 views)
1930 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

I called Mr. Walt Bratton about (10) years ago about his particular advertised new Model A headlight connectors.

At that time he reported selling them for (7) years with absolutely no complaints.

Bought mine from Bratton's. They still work great.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #4
cpf240

Great info! Bratton's does sell the proper terminal ends if you want to modify an existing harness. #20421

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
The reproduction headlight sockets made in the last 10 years will work if they are installed properly. If your reproduction sockets are over 10 years old you need to get some new sockets. Most of the wiring harness sold today have the wrong terminal ends on them going to the headlights. Bratton's sells wiring harness with the correct terminals.

TO WORK CORRECTLY AND NOT SHORT OUT, YOUR TERMINALS MUST BE FLAT ON THE END AND THE CORRECT LENGTH.

The connector on the left shows the WRONG TERMINAL that most of the wiring harness come with, THESE WILL SHORT OUT because they are too long and not flat on the end. They will push too hard on the pins in the socket and cause them to slide off the terminal to the side and short out.

The connector on the right shows the correct terminals that are sold by Bratton's, you can install the correct terminals or file your old terminals to the correct length .687" or 11/16" and flat on the end as shown in the picture.
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #5
CarlG

Mine are hard wired with bullet connectors. Also ran a separate ground wire. No points for doing it this way, but my lights do work.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #6
MAG

X2 on post 2.
Done several as described. no problems.