Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #21
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Anyone Contacted "American Pickers" lately?

What Brent and Seth said is 100% correct. It's all fake. They don't 'ride around' in the white van and then stumble upon a 'find' they are flown in, put in the van, go to a place that has already been 'found' the items are already 'bought' ahead of time, it's all BS. The show was sold by Mike to the TV network they make their money per show not on the junk they 'pick'. Frank and Danielle were buddies of Mike and he landed them spots on the show. Frank was a fire code inspector nothing more.I know people that went to school with those three and they all laugh about what a scam it all is, they have known them since they were kids.

You go into the LeClaire store (I live 30 miles away been there several times) and it is always the same overpriced stuff, it never sells. If somebody is stupid enough to pay the tag price, shame on them anyway.

I had an antique gas pump years ago I didn't want, a pre-visible. They aren't worth much and don't even look good restored. I thought I'd sell it for a hundred bucks just to get rid of it, hell scrap value is more than that with all the brass they have in them. That pump brings $600 any day of the week unrestored. I called them, got an answering machine they never called back. Sent the tattoo freak lady an e-mail never responded. Took pictures of the pump, mailed it to them said 'come and get it' I'm tired of looking at it, all I got was cricket-cricket-cricket NOTHING.

So, a buddy that collects petroliana told me 'I'll give you $300 for it, but I'm going to restore it and sell it for a lot more.' I told him 'I'll be home Sunday to help you load it up' and it went down the road.

Yeah, those guys and that show drive me bonkers. They are fakes and cheats, bragging about the little old ladies they rip off Besides, they have been sued and the IRS decided they haven't been paying taxes correctly they have been burned over that too.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #22
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
Parts of Daisy Duke were not real. I hate to be the one to tell you.
Oh, please don't tell me Daisy Duke wore bolt on's?
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #23
Jeff/Illinois

Naw he said something about her fur being real maybe I read it wrong!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:49 PM   #24
old car guy

Guys the show probably is a stretch as reported . But all of us on this site in reality are true pickers. We look for deals on the cars we have bought, we pick every part we have bought or have tried to. We travel hundred and thousands of miles for the one part or the elusive car we got a story about. This to me make us a real group of American pickers.
In my real job I am a picker . I buy antiques ,furniture or just about anything else that we can sell to make a profit off of. And we are doing it for fun and by George making a profit along the way. The funny thing is I have the same truck as them but ford did not give it to my wife and I , and they are not cheap. Retirement has been great wished someone would set up my deals for me.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #25
JJASON

I would not trust them, they are in the business for the buck
JJASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:19 PM   #26
Chuck Sea/Tac

"Wrasslin" is real. I think my dad believed that for a while. When I was a kid we drove 60 miles to Tacoma to watch Haystack Calhoun, who weighed in at 600 pounds. Anyone in front 6 or so rows got wet with blood and spit. My mom wasn't interested and didn't go.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:58 PM   #27
mountstimothy0

They are indeed phones. They came to my home town " purchased" stuff from a shop by my house drove off for the show turned around came back and gave it back to them and left again. Ive never watched the show again its all b.s. for the show. Lost all respect for them

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk
mountstimothy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:00 PM   #28
Dick Webber

I have a friend who has bought 2 nice items featured on the show,so they do sell things. When I visted Nashville it was mostly souvenirs I saw.
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:25 PM   #29
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln. how was (is) the play?
Old 04-08-2017, 12:36 AM   #30
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

For those that believe reality shows are real, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell you....cheap too!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:22 AM   #31
BILL WILLIAMSON

As the crooks in an "OLD" Western Movie, were racin' to hide behind a HUGE rock, one Guy touched it & it JIGGLED--LOL---"Maybe" it wuz FIBERGLASS STUCCO??? I've seen them manufactured for YARD DECOR!
Once saw an Old Western, with an airplane vapor trail in the distance---LOL, AGAIN!
When watchin' movies, I often tell the Dog, "THEY CAIN'T DO THAT"!!!
Bill W. & Buster T.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:22 AM   #32
Frank Miller

Everyone stop for a minute and think. You're driving down the road and you see a house with a collection of junk so you stop in. Most likely you're greeted with a 12 gauge. Now imagine you drive up in a van with a film crew behind you. See my point. Even on This Old House you see them walking in the door from the inside which means the cameraman is inside the house already.
I sometimes watch this show for the purpose of window shopping. We all know these places exist and this may be our only opportunity to view them. The sales are real. What is not well known is the person is paid a fee for letting them film their "establishment". So when they move $10 on a part remember they could be being paid 10k for use of their property as a stage. I was at the Iowa store in 2013 and there was stuff on display but only souvenirs for sale. I reminded myself that business is owned by the History Channel. Stop and think for a minute and it becomes obvious.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:26 AM   #33
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
As the crooks in an "OLD" Western Movie, were racin' to hide behind a HUGE rock, one Guy touched it & it JIGGLED--LOL---"Maybe" it wuz FIBERGLASS STUCCO??? I've seen them manufactured for YARD DECOR!
Once saw an Old Western, with an airplane vapor trail in the distance---LOL, AGAIN!
When watchin' movies, I often tell the Dog, "THEY CAIN'T DO THAT"!!!
Bill W. & Buster T.

Bill, back in the late 70s I was on recruiting duty in New Orleans. I used the weekends to visit plantation homes and a few during the week travelling to and from high schools in other towns. One place I had a personal tour through was the Ashland Belle-Helen Plantation. It has been used in many movies including The Beguiled. They made the back look like the front because the front faced the highway. The prop master built two fake gate post with 2X4s and stucco. The plastic gates they used were gone. Those fake gate post were as hollow as a coons home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashland_Plantation

In popular culture
The mansion was shown in several movies, including, Band of Angels (1957) where it also appeared on the movie poster; The Beguiled (1971), The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman (1971), Mandingo (1975), The Long, Hot Summer (1985) and Fletch Lives (1989).

BTW, the structure had no nails in it, all built will pegs and wedges, that's not FAKE information.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #34
jm29henry

What they do is the crew go to the site first and does day of pre filming and even pre determan the price that will be paid for the items purchased ,and then they act out the haggling !!!
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #35
JDupuis

I like seeing the "collectables" on the show. The American Pickers do a much better "job" of their "show". Try watching the Canadian Pickers. I know some of the people they've picked. And, yes, all staged. I keep flipping channels when I see the Canadian version. Jeff
Old 04-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #36
V4F

I think to appreciate any tv show you need to accept it as it is , or why watch ? I like the show & I'm sure most is set-up . but then most tv reality shows are set-up ....... just watch & enjoy .............
Old 04-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #37
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Even if the show is staged, the items they showcase are the real things of our past for which some of the things I never knew about. Some things they might not know what they are talking about but the antiques and artifacts of the past are real. Probably the only things on the show that is real besides the homes they do go to.

I hate it when I see Mike and Frank crawl over boxes of unknown items just to see what is on top...If I were the owner of the stuf that they was crawling over, I would of had their ass out of there.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #38
mshmodela

I like the stuff they show on the show but Mike, his eyes and actions reminds me of the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUuH4TEmgLo

Then that high pitched sales screaming... well hard to watch! Just Sharks in a white van.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:59 PM   #39
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster Rich View Post
I have been in the Nashville store twice. I watch this show frequently and I can tell you that much of what I saw in that store, I actually saw them picking on some of the shows. Clearly they may stage the TV "drama" but the items you are seeing them pick up are for sale in their store.

I do not remember seeing any cars or much for car parts. There seems to always be a motorcycle prominently displayed and lots of motorcycle parts.

Rich
I understand the "deals" are all made ahead of time by the producers while the on screen action is all scripted. I still enjoy the show, although it drives me crazy to see them walk right by some great model A stuff and get all excited about some old ice cream sign! Also, from the looks of it as shown by the show, model A barn finds are just everywhere down south.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #40
JohnB15632

Am I the only one who is lost here? What is American Pickers anyway?
JohnB15632 is offline   Reply With Quote