Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
3twinridges

Default 50 F1 226 running rich

I posted this question on ford forum but thought I would add it here for a wider perspective.....

The 226 in our 50 F1 is running rich. It pops a little coasting downhills, has a slight puff of black smoke when starting on a hill, and is hard to start when hot. I have rebuilt the card with all new/nos parts, nos distributor, nos coil, set timing, etc. Even the power valve in the carb is nos, its the Holley 847 carb. Other than the above symptoms, it runs great. When cold it starts awesome and I have the idle around 490 rpm. Choke cable is set correctly.

Any thoughts on the rich condition? To set idle mixture, I turned in mix screw until is lightly seated, backed out a full turn. Then turned it in until the engine sagged, backed it out until it sagged again, then turned it in half way between the two.

I am running non ethanol 87 and the jet is correct, not sure what to try next? Maybe I should be closer to one of the sags on the mix screw?

Thanks for any thoughts.
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:23 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 50 F1 226 running rich

Sometimes these old carburetors are hard to get completely sealed at reassembly. Gaskets that are too stiff can also play a part. Slight warpage in the body parts can play another. FoMoCo had carbs set up for higher altitude that were jetted differently (leaner for altitudes over 5000 feet). This should be mentioned in the parts book plus the identification is usually mentioned on how to tell high altitude from low generally by a letter stamped on but I'm not certain about the 6-cylinder carbs.

Popping in the exhaust when engine braking is not really abnormal. Some fuel is unburned in this situation and it goes right out the exhaust valve where it will pop off in the exhaust system. Also make certain your Load-O-Matic distributor is working properly. Hilly country gives the vacuum advance/retard quite a work out.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:40 PM   #3
3twinridges

Default Re: 50 F1 226 running rich

Thank you rotorwrench. The vacuum advance functions as it should and I tested the vacuum line and it holds with no leaks. I am in North Atlanta hill country but no altitude issues.
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote