Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Job

Question Wiring questions

Hi, Two questions I need help with.
#1 how is the wiring harness routed under the radiator? Over or under the lower inlet? Attachment places?

#2 The green wires for the brake light switch come out of the harness behind the front cross member. How are they routed to the switch?

Thanks for the help.
Job
Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
fordfixer

Default Re: Wiring questions

I run the harness for the lights over the water hose, and use the clips on the bottom of the radiator. There should be three of them. If not, then use zip ties, to hold it down low and in place. I run the brake wires over the motor mount and then along the frame until I reach where the switch is. Hope this helps. Jon
fordfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Tom Endy

Default Re: Wiring questions

The wires on my Vic are routed above the water outlet and immediately engages one of the two wire "grabbers" that should be soldered onto the bottom of the radiator. It may not be correct per Henry, but I have seen radiators where the water outlet is so close to the frame you can hardly get the hose on, let alone route a wire under it.

The wiring to the brake light switch, in my opinion, was not one of Henry's better ideas. The green wire with power on it comes from a hot buss inside the light bale. In the modern era, what with deteriorated wiring, leaking steering boxes, and poor quality reproductions, the light bale can be a rats nest of wires prone to shorting out. Many electrical failure modes are found in the light bale. Unfortunately, they are often incurred out on the road. You can continue to drive the car during daylight hours to get it home or to the hotel for further evaluation and repair by disconnecting the wire from the cut-out (or alternator post) that runs down to the bale. You will not have headlights and tail lights, and also no brake lights, which makes it unsafe to drive even during daylight.

Since there is no reason why power for the brake light switch has to come from the bale, a better solution is to wire the brake light switch direct to either the fuse on the starter or to one of the terminals on the fire wall. To make the modification, simply unhook the green power wire from the brake light switch, fold it back and wrap insulating tape around it. In its place run A new wire to direct power. Now when you disconnect the bale wire, you will still have brake lights.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote