Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Barry-ct

Default 50 F-1 charging guage

I have a question that I hope can be answered here. My F-1 charging guage has the loop on the back which I have the wire going thru it in the proper direction. I'm putti9ng together a cluster with NOS guages and the charge guage I have is from Canada. I didn't realize this when I bought it.
The Canadian guage has 2 studs instead of the loop. THe looped on has the wire going to the circuit breaker. Can I just hook this wire to one side of the new guage and put a jumper from the other stud and then to the circuit breaker? I know the looped one senses which direction the power flows thru the wire to show charge or discharge. Does this Canadian guage do the same? I'd like to use it as it's NOS. I think I know the answer, but I'd like to hear from the experts.

Thanmks,

Barry

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
41ford1

Default Re: 50 F-1 charging guage

What is the gauge face marked? AMPS or BATT? If it is AMPS the shunt loop may be internal. Take a look inside to check it by carefully removing the dial face. If it is BATT then it is a volt meter. In that case the one side is connected to the battery(switched ignition) and the other is grounded. With two terminals I suspect you have a Batt (volt meter) gauge.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
Barry-ct

Both guages have "DIS" on the left and "CHG" on the right. I am told the early Ford tractors used the looped style also and were later superceded to the stud type. I figure I will run the lead into one side and then make a short jumper to go from the guage to the circuit breaker.

Barry

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
mtflat

I've been looking thru the shop manual and 52 operator's manual and can't find anything other than the loop. If it were mine, I'd do what you're talking about.
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
41ford1

Before you hook anything up check the resistance across the two terminals. If it is an ammeter there should be low resitance (0 ohms). If it is Volt meter you will see about 60 ohms. If it is an ammeter hook it up like you are thinking of doing with the jumper.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote