Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
FordCustom

Default 50 F-1 door glass, vent windows?

Does anyone sell all of this in a kit perhaps, or does someone have a pattern for the glass cutter to go by? I have nothing but the window regulators, and even those may not be all there, or bent, or too rusted to work properly. I am REAL tempted to just get the one piece power window kits. I have seen weather stripping kits, but that's about it. I have no rubber, no glass (vent or door) and thankfully I have a carport to store the truck under.

What I am working with... I have the divider bar and the main window reguators, but that's it.

FordCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
oj

Default Re: 50 F-1 door glass, vent windows?

Take your time with that one, the last one of those I did the problem is the vent window stuff, alignment and hardware. I had it apart 3 times and had to have the glass cut to fit. give yourself a mission to find the best possible pieces to rebuild it from - I'd stay away from the 1pc glass thing as it lacks the character of the original and those trucks have more character in a square inch than a brand new lexus!
oj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #3
GreenMonster48

The glass is pretty cheap if you shop around. In my experience, the weatherstripping kits suck. Those trucks are still common, and the doors are the same from F-1 up to F-7 or so. I'd check out craigslist for someone parting a truck out and see what you can get. The vent window frames bolt in, and the vent window glass slide in. The side windows are more or less square, slightly oversize of the window opening. I'd try to 'roll' the regulator all the way up, stick some card board in there and trace it if you really want to make a pattern. Just be mindful that there is a felt window channel that runs the perimeter of the window and up the divider bar if you get the weatherstripping kit.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Dick

Classic Haulers has the glass. You can buy just the door glass if that is all you need. They also have the solid side window kit you speak about.
Good folks to work with. 1-877 252 1948 or classic-haulers.com
Good luck with your project!
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
Barry-ct

Don't go the one piece glass. I bought all my glass in a kit off of Ebay. It wasn't the best, but decent and was the correct sizes. Look at the aftermarket suppliers like LMC truck, Mac's, C&G, Dennis Carpenter, John's F-100's and others. The weatherstrip kits that everyone sells is made in China for Vintique, who sells them to all the names I put above. And they are garbage, but it's all we have to work with. I used a ton of expletive deletives( cuss ) on the kit while installing it.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
Ken Crans

That's for sure, pain in the .. Barrys right, buy complete kit not one piece.
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
gearhead1952

This company was posted on here a few days ago but I have never used them. https://www.sandersreproglass.com/ Looks like around $400 for all glass for an f1 cab. Flat glass is supposed to be the easiest to get but finding someone who can cut and trim the edges without putting scratches on the face of the glass is my biggest problem.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry-ct View Post
Don't go the one piece glass. I bought all my glass in a kit off of Ebay. It wasn't the best, but decent and was the correct sizes. Look at the aftermarket suppliers like LMC truck, Mac's, C&G, Dennis Carpenter, John's F-100's and others. The weatherstrip kits that everyone sells is made in China for Vintique, who sells them to all the names I put above. And they are garbage, but it's all we have to work with. I used a ton of expletive deletives( cuss ) on the kit while installing it.
Carpenter makes the belt-line strips, last I dealt with them? I had problems and talked to the guy there who made them. DC's clips were crap, Vintiques are far better.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
jbrittonjr

About a month ago I ordered panel truck rear glass and instrument cluster glass from http://www.classictruckglass.com
The pieces arrived well wrapped and look good.
You might want to call them to place the order as the website shopping cart seems a bit "wonky".
jbrittonjr is offline   Reply With Quote