Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
jim1932

Default "Just run it like you stole it".......

Well, the weather is warming up so I am going to try and take the car out tomorrow. I drove it about two miles a year and a half ago and it quit due to electrical issues (since resolved). It smoked a lot but seemed to run decently.

Last time I started it in the garage it had a light knocking sound to it (valve?). My thought is to take it out and run it.... I guess my question is.... what sort of things indicate an issue where it needs to be shut down quick. The oil pan was dropped and clean oil in it, new hoses and fluids, new wiring, rebuild carb and fuel pump....

Just run it?

Oh it is a "B" 4 banger if that makes a difference. I know it was on the road in 73 and was stored with no issues with the motor. I do not know if it was rebuilt etc.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:01 AM   #2
tiger.1000

Default Re: "Just run it like you stole it".......

Jim; my advice....cold engine, drain the sump and let it drip overnight. Fill the sump and run the engine to temperature.

Drain it again and refill again. Check the coolant and give it a run. If there's no adverse noises you should be up and ticking !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ford b mirror (5).JPG (128.1 KB, 10 views)
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
G.M.

Jim ALL of these old fords have the overflow tube coming off the top of the top radiator tank. The radiator tubes cause a restriction of the flow of coolant due to the size and length of the tubes. This restriction causes the coolant to back up in the top tank and well over a gallon of coolant is lost. You may not see much of a temperature rise in cooler weather but when it gets hot out running low on coolant causes the engine to run hot in warm weather. On later Fords a 4 lb pressure cap was installed to prevent this coolant lose. A number of years ago Skip developed a 3 lb pressure valve that fits in the over flow tube at the bottom of the radiator. This valve keeps the coolant from exiting doing normal engine operations. This valve also acts as a safety valve in case there is excessive pressure in the cooling system. Pressure in the system can be from coolant temperatures above 210 degrees or from a compression leak from a head gasket or crack. The 3 lb valves opens when it see's pressure over it's rating protection the radiator and people. There have been many posts on this forum stating how it solved the over heating problem. I have a 32 4 cylinder and installed a 36 type water pump and this along with the valve runs very cool on a 90 degree day. The adaptor is available from suppliers. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0196.jpg (54.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg PRESSURE VALVE 2.jpg (18.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
jimTN

I have Skips valves on my cars and they work well!
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote