Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
'29wagon

Default stripping motor

okay,
I've got a lot to learn and a long way to go with this project, I've gotten much off this motor to inspect, study and either clean it to reattach or set aside to rebuild or replace at a later date.
I managed to pull the cracked head off without much force other than straddling it and lifting almost straight up. First question, regarding head studs, #3,5,9,11 and 12 forfeited without a fight, should I remove the remaining nine studs, I plan to but what should be the gentlest way to go about this? I know they are stretched and replacing 'em is in my plan.
As for the pistons, they all seem to be slipping snug along the cylinder walls but they too will be pulled for cleaning, inspection and new rings, I cant say that honing will be needed but boring looks to not be necessary so far and that said without a feeler gauge yet.
I am attempting to pull as much off of this thing as it is resting where its lived its days, seems they may have parked it thirty years ago when the head cracked and left it for the worms to eat, being so abundant to just drive off in another.
Anyway this seems to be going alright but if anyone feels the desire to comment or criticize or suggest the next best step in this process , feel free.
I don't want to mess anything up in the break down part here.
This barn's been very helpful and I'm proud to be learning here. Thanks.
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote