Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #1
GOSFAST

Default "Flatheads Forever" Story

If you guy's have a few minutes to spare here is some excellent reading on a "Flattie" that's been out of here for about 10 years now. It belongs to a very good friend, Ron, who kind of "worked me over" back then to build it! We had been extremely busy with all our race guy's but I agreed to help. The only stipulation at the time was I would not make any guarantee on a specific finish time. It all ended up coming together in a reasonable timeframe back then and today he's still extremely satisfied with the results. His e-mail below sums it all up nicely! His ride probably weighs above 4000#??

It was to a be "very special" build, 1/4" stroker, Ross pistons/moly ring pack, block-plate honed bores, dowel-pinned block/heads/gaskets, oil filter modification (95%), Edelbrock flycut/fire-slotted heads, and much, much more! Due to the fact he knew we were very busy at the time he had approached another well-known Flathead builder on the west coast, actually flew out there and met them, but in the end being somewhat uncomfortable decided against using them. This was when he contacted me. From that day it's all history!

I had contacted him last week, it's usually long time spans between when we get to speak! It was in response to a member's P.M. up here to me questioning the type of air-cleaners Ron was using on his Merc. I didn't know so I contacted him. Kiddingly I had asked him if he was ready for another rebuild, after all, it's been along time now??

Here is an excerpt from the e-mail he returned this past week:

October 18, 2015
Hi Gary, I had a terrific cruising season going to six new events covering the following states; NY, NJ, CT, MA VT, PA, OH, IN, MI. which added another 6000 miles to the Full House Flathead. Now that awesome Full House Flathead you built has 22,500 miles on it and don't need a rebuild, its running like a raped ape. The air cleaners I have are OTB gear with 3.250 high air filter elements. OTB gear have ads in Street Rodder magazine. Anthony tuned up the Merc at 18000 miles and re jetted the center carb up to 47. Super running Flathead, best in the good ole USA running the highways and byways.
"Flatheads Forever", Ron

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. This build is in the Merc that's in my signature in all my posts. Ron has been a very close friend for many, many years now and it turned out to be a "blessing" for me to do the build for him. It doesn't get much better than this! All the "options" used on his build are the very same ones I always recommend up here, such as the bronze-lined guides, etc. He can attest to the fact that "doing the build the 100% correct way" definitely ALL pays off in the long run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rons FH Stroker Engine.JPG (82.3 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg Rons Merc-James Dean Run.JPG (241.5 KB, 118 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: "Flatheads Forever" Story

Gary, Congratulations on doing such a fine build.
Can't beat a satisfied customer.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote